Where to go fishing.

Jeff Kuznecov

Feb 6, 2015, 8:19:50 PM2/6/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi you all.
Moved to the area no to long ago and was wondering where to go fishing this time of the year. Prefer trout fishing. Looking for something local.
I live in McLean.
Thank you brothers.

Rob Snowhite

Feb 6, 2015, 8:44:56 PM2/6/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Maryland: BeaverCreek and BIG Hunting Creek
PA: Letort, Falling Springs, Big Springs, Yellow Breeches
VA: Mossy, Beaver, Holmes Run (if it gets stocked again)

Or just wait for the shad run...

Rob Snowhite

Feb 6, 2015, 8:47:15 PM2/6/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You know something?  Trout fishing sucks this time of year.  Check the bed of your truck and your boots are probably frozen, so you gotta jam 'em under the floor vent and run the sucker for another 10 minutes so you can get your feet into them.  You also want some hand warmers and a change of clothes in case you slip off the Falls Rd. bridge.  Bring 2 sets for the Savage.

You can get some fish on streamers or maybe midges or #20-24 BWOs, but the effort/gasoline > production ratio still sucks.

IMO the real gem of "trout" in this region are the brookies in the SNP region.  It's kind of unique, whereas the rainbow/brown trout are more artificial and cramped.  It's kind of cold now, but once it picks up in the spring there's nothing else I'd rather be doing.

You could fish the outfalls -- those produce 100 small LMB, crappie, and various other sunfish species.  It did today anyway.  I had to break a huge sheet of ice to reach the outfall, but it was a pretty productive day....if you're happy with bass that you can backcast with an 8-weight.

Gene
Message has been deleted

Jeff Kuznecov

Feb 8, 2015, 7:54:30 PM2/8/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys, any local waters like Potomac river to go fishing for different species then trout. Any predictable action before shad?

tperkins

Feb 9, 2015, 7:43:07 AM2/9/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jeff,

If you can, come out to beer tie tonight. see the post from Dan for specifics. Four Mile Run has a warm water discharge so you can fish it all winter long for bass and bluegill. I was there yesterday and caught a few bass and bunch of bluegill including some nice sized ones on topwater. Search the forum for tips on access and such.

Thomas

Andy Thomas

Feb 13, 2015, 9:20:45 AM2/13/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
"Local" is all relative.  Decent trout water, and I mean wild trout, is about an hour and a half from DC, maybe an hour depending on which side of the city you live.  Its roughly an hour and a half up to the Gunpowder and about the same to some of the SNP streams that hold wild brookies.  You can find stocked trout closer, but who wants to stand shoulder to shoulder with spinners and catch pet fish?