Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

jackm

não lida,
13 de jan. de 2015, 13:10:5113/01/2015
para tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have read that spring fishing at the top of the Chesapeake is great catch and release for monster Stripers. I am determined to finally make it up this year, and I am trying to plan a several day trip.
Just wondering if anyone out there has some pointers about:
where to put in (I will likely just be paddling a two man canoe)
where to stay
where to fish
what date is typically productive
etc
Thanks, Guys.
-Jack

Andy Thomas

não lida,
13 de jan. de 2015, 16:57:2213/01/2015
para tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Not sure how much help he may be but Tom Hughes is a guide in Maryland and regularly guides on the flats.  http://www.capttomhughes.com/  He's also endorsed by Orvis.

He post a lot on another local fishing forum, http://www.flyfishingmaryland.com/index.php.  You can likely search the forum for his different post and glean some information about put ins, flies to use, etc.  Best of luck.

Jeffrey Silvan

não lida,
13 de jan. de 2015, 17:44:4913/01/2015
para tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The dates are somewhat unpredictable as the fish only come in when the bait runs up the river. Typically this is in April-ish time frame - basically shortly after the shad start getting active here. I've been talking with another guide - Sean Crawford of Terrapin Bay Fishing - and apparently everyone's been really disappointed with the fishing lately. There basically wasn't a run at the flats in 2013, and last year's was nothing to brag about either. He suspects it's because there's been an extremely weak white perch run the past several years, and the perch serve as a main forage for the stripers.

If you go, I wouldn't make any irreversible plans until you know there's a good run and you'll have good weather. The waves can kick up pretty good with the right wind and can be tough in a small power boat, so it would be downright dangerous in a canoe. You'll also need to pay attention to flow from the Susquehanna. I'm not sure if there's much in the way of river current because every trip I've attempted was either cancelled by the guide due to weather or lack of fish. But, with strong flows out of the river, it often brings lots of river debris like large branches, trees, etc. I can sometimes be too dangerous for 25' boats because of the flotsam. I can't give you much of an idea on where exactly to fish on the flats, but you'll probably want to base yourself out of Havre De Grace. That's where most of the guides launch power boats. It may be too far to paddle, but it will at least be a good home base being a nice bay-side town.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Lane Thurgood

não lida,
13 de jan. de 2015, 18:29:5013/01/2015
para tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jack, consistent with what Jeff says, I don't think anybody describes the Susquehanna Flats as a great fishery anymore.  Certainly not trying to dissuade you from it, except to the extent that you were hoping for the great fishing you were reading about and were planning a several day trip around those past reports.  Reports from the Bay Bridge Tunnel at the other end of the season (November/December) were also not so good.  Also consistent with Jeff's remarks, April is the time folks historically focused on the Susquehanna Flats.

Terry C

não lida,
13 de jan. de 2015, 19:04:5413/01/2015
para tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jack, I haven't fished up there but this might help.  http://www.stripersonline.com/t/932619/susquehanna-flats-kayak-fishing-jamboree   lots of info on this forum.

jackm

não lida,
13 de jan. de 2015, 20:39:3613/01/2015
para tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, All.
I'll follow up on all info you have given me, and I'll post anything that comes up that might be of interest.

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 1:10:51 PM UTC-5, jackm wrote:

Terry C

não lida,
14 de jan. de 2015, 06:21:0514/01/2015
para tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jack, I've been trying to get up there also but yet to get it done.  Let me know when you are going if I can make it I will throw the kayak up on the car and give it a shot.  There is a campground up there.
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bruce Mathews

não lida,
14 de jan. de 2015, 11:21:5214/01/2015
para tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jack - If you are looking for possibly more dependable fish you might go south instead of north.  Late April/May time frame on the Roanoke River at Weldon,, NC spawns a large number of the New England Stripers.  There is a catch and keep season and at the end of this a Catch and Release period.  The river traffic is lower during this period.  they also often have a good shad run earlier than this.  I have put my canoe in here often but you will need a good motor to get back up stream (you have to go down to the Big Rock).  I took a 30# electric the first time and we didn't think we would make it back to the ramp.  Next year I had a 50# electric - no problem.   I also have some pontoons that stabilize the canoe (more like a poor man's bass boat).  Maybe brother John will chime in here with more info - it was his stomping ground and the Cape Lookout Flyfishers organized quite a few trip there.  Just a thought.

Bruce

image

Google Maps
Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps
Preview by Yahoo

Bruce Mathews
703.772.7167

John Mathews

não lida,
15 de jan. de 2015, 11:57:2915/01/2015
para tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jack,

My brother, Bruce recommended you might look South for stripers on the Roanoke River.  This is an incredible fishery with the exception of finding large(36"+ fish) during the spring run.  These fish can be found on the lower reaches of the river for the balance of the year and both trips are well worth taking.  As Bruce pointed out, there's a keeper and C&R season.  You don't want to be on the upper river, Weldon, during the keeper season, it's insanity personified.  Word to the wise....check the water levels at weldon before going or putting in. This link will get you to some good sites to monitor the river conditions.   https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GPEA_enUS356US356&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=usgs%20weldon%20nc

The lower part of the river, just upstream of the Albermarle Sound is nearly year round.  The Roanoke River Partners has a number of elevated campsites available in that area for the canoe/kayak fisherman. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roanoke-River-Partners/146840734675
You may all so want to look at the Cashier River which is in the same area but does not get as much pressure.  Then there's the Chowan River that has a similar "flats" sorta area that holds large fish too.  All of that is about 3-4 hours from you.  You can find some good info on these striper fisheries and the Nuese River, just south of the Roanoke River, on this site http://ncwaterman.com/default.asp.  You may all so want to contact the Cape Lookout Fly Fishers Club.  Chuck Laughridge has a lot of experience with these fisheries.

Good luck to you.

John

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 1:10:51 PM UTC-5, jackm wrote:
A mensagem foi excluída

namfos

não lida,
16 de jan. de 2015, 09:17:1016/01/2015
para tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
John and Bruce:

Thanks for the intel on NC. My mother's lived in Sunset Beach, NC for 25 years and I've never made time to fish there or the waters mentioned which are more or less or en route. Time to take corrective action.  How about the Cape Fear River area?

Mark

Richard Farino

não lida,
16 de jan. de 2015, 10:42:2016/01/2015
para tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I know Chuck well.  We have a love/hate relationship.  Apparently I’m one of the few folks that give him just as much grief as he gives out, and it’s all in fun.

I don’t think Chuck knows CF as he lives on Harker’s.  I can connect you to a friend that is a guide down there that fishes CF everyday and is mostly a redfish/trout/albacore fisherman and can give you the intel you need.  Shoot me an e-mail if you want his details.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

From: namfos <mark....@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, January 16, 2015 at 9:11 AM
To: <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Susquehanna Flats

Thanks for the intel, John.  I go through those areas and over those rivers 6-8 times a year in the course of visiting my mother in Sunset Beach, NC (which oddly enough was where the great tyer Dick Talleur lived at the time of his death).  Does Chuck Laughridge also know the Cape Fear River system?  My folks and now just my mother has been down there 25 years, but I've never taken the time to go fishing there or en route.
Time to correct the oversight. ;-)

Mark

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

não lida,
17 de jan. de 2015, 11:56:3817/01/2015
para tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Rich. Duly noted. I'll be in touch.

Mark

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 10:42:20 AM UTC-5, Richard Farino wrote:
... I can connect you to a friend that is a guide down there that fishes CF everyday and is mostly a redfish/trout/albacore fisherman and can give you the intel you need.  Shoot me an e-mail if you want his details.

Responder a todos
Responder ao autor
Encaminhar
0 nova mensagem