Constitution Garden Fishing Opportunities

chad tokowicz

Jun 19, 2018, 5:02:07 PM6/19/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey all,

hope the week is off to a good start. A business associate is coming into town this weekend and inquired about fishing opportunities in the Constitution Garden. not sure why he specifically mentioned this area but I said I would do my due diligence and try and compile some information about it.

Would love to hear if anyone has fished it, if so what species are available and what the preferred tackle is.

Thanks and Tight Lines!

tperkins

Jun 19, 2018, 5:10:42 PM6/19/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
In the past there were some nice blue gills and some bass in there. A few years ago there was a fish kill, and after that I stopped fishing it. Last year I went back and saw tons of small bluegills but nothing else. They did stock it after the fish kill, but not sure how those fish did. If you decide to fish it, 3-5 wt rod, small poppers, buggers, nymphs. It does get pretty weedy too.  Personally I would go to the Tidal Basin instead.

chad tokowicz

Jun 19, 2018, 5:31:48 PM6/19/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the quick reply - all noted.

What resides in the Tidal Basin? IS there still the possibility of hooking up to schoolies?!

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Hugh

John Hammill

Jun 19, 2018, 6:01:33 PM6/19/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I’ve seen sunfish in there and it looks like it’s hold white perch maybe (haven’t seen the latter but only looked once.) I saw fishing there listed on a blog which eludes me right now. Probably requires a DC license.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

tperkins

Jun 19, 2018, 6:06:49 PM6/19/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Not sure if schoolies will still be around. But carp, snakehead, Bass, bluegill, crappie, catfish, gar and who knows what else are all possibilities.

Andrew Sarcinello

Jun 20, 2018, 8:30:27 AM6/20/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Schoolies are still here, got into a couple yesterday at little falls

N Elgas

Jun 20, 2018, 9:13:38 AM6/20/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
schoolies are still in the basin as will got an 18" last week

Rob Snowhite

Jun 20, 2018, 10:42:17 AM6/20/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Constitution gardens = land locked.
Tidal basin = connected to river.

Gardens will be stocked with cats, bluegills, largies if stocked at all. Once heat forces oxygen out of the water and algae blooms the fish will die off.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

davidwi...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2018, 10:56:25 AM6/20/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
It's hard to believe anything could survive the summer heat in Constitution Garden.
 Seems to me the maximum depth there is about 4 feet?

I agree 1000% that Tidal Basin is the better choice.

chad tokowicz

Jun 22, 2018, 9:44:43 AM6/22/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
very nice, what fly were you using? also for tidal basin do you use a floating line or intermediate sink?