Question about Salmon River Access

Terry C

Aug 29, 2014, 1:14:42 PM8/29/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I am going to be up near the S.R. this weekend and might as well go over and see if any early fish are in.  My thought is they would be hanging around the mouth of the river near Selkirk state park.   Anyone know about the access in that area and how far above the rt 3 bridge does the DSR start.  I usually fish up river and don't know that area.

Danny Barrett

Aug 29, 2014, 5:53:58 PM8/29/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Not sure about access.  But a friend of mine lives up that way.  His advice to me was since im only interested in browns, wait till the first freeze.  TCO fly shop is a good source of info.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Rob Snowhite

Aug 29, 2014, 6:23:39 PM8/29/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
A friend out in a kayak at the estuary bridge last year and went a bit up river with no issues. There have been some kings caught this week near the mouth out on trawling boats.

Sent from my iPhone

Yambag Nelson

Aug 30, 2014, 12:42:46 AM8/30/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
There is minimal water that you can fish down there without getting a DSR pass and it isn't great water to fish with a flyrod.  Honestly, if you are going to be there this weekend I would get a pass and give it a shot.  It could be good.  They usually release water this weekend which gets the fish moving.  I haven't been keeping track this season to know if that is the case.  Obviously labor day is a tad early this weekend so who knows.

Call malindas and see what they tell you.  That is the best shop on the river.

HenryH

Sep 3, 2014, 1:15:50 PM9/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was up there this past weekend and saw a few kings from the Black Hole all the way to the hatchery.  We even hooked into one at the ballpark pool but overall, it's still very slow compared to this time last year.  I did see 3 kings landed at the ballpark pool and quite a few more hook-ups.  A couple of more weeks...

Terry C

Sep 3, 2014, 5:02:46 PM9/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was up there over the weekend as well and saw a few early returners, swinging flies at the trestle pool and school house pool.  Caught a few white fish and saw a few salmon on the move but no hook ups.  Good casting practice.

Rob Snowhite

Sep 8, 2014, 3:51:02 PM9/8/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Just booked a room for Nov 1-Nov 4 at The Trestle Pool Lodge near Altmar. Hoping to get into some early season browns. Still not sure if I'm taking the boat up there. Can't wait!

Matthew Longley

Sep 9, 2014, 2:36:40 PM9/9/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Rob when you target browns are you using the same tactics and focusing in the same areas as when targeting steelhead?  I've caught some great browns up there when focusing on steelhead, and I'd love to actually target them next time.

Rob Snowhite

Sep 9, 2014, 3:16:21 PM9/9/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Same tactics as steelhead. Usually pure luck to get a big one. Sometimes they are in softer water.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Yambag Nelson

Sep 10, 2014, 1:38:50 PM9/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Browns tend to stay lower in the river, but I have caught them in the upper fly as well.  Steelhead are more inclined to take a swung fly.  Browns will occasionally do so as well but more will fall to an egg pattern.