Guided Smallmouth Float Trip Recommendations?

Bob Sivinski

Mar 23, 2015, 10:18:32 AM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm starting to plan a guided float trip for smallmouth later in the summer and I was hoping to get some recommendations on locations or specific outfits.  I'd like to stay within about 3 hours of DC if possible.  Thanks!

Jeffrey Silvan

Mar 23, 2015, 10:23:55 AM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've used a few guides in the area. Matt Miles is a bit further away, but he's great and definitely worth the drive to fish with him. It'll be right around your 3 hour mark. He'll float you on the James. I've used the guys at Albemarle Angler a few times (I've gone with Scott twice, and done a trout trip with Cole) and they're great too. They will be about 2-2.5 hours. They do the Shenandoah and I believe the James as well. The closest option I've used was CT Campbell (Page Valley Fly Fishing) who only does the Shenandoah. It's been a while since I've fished with him, but he'll be around 1.5 hours I believe.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bob Sivinski

Mar 23, 2015, 11:28:43 AM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jeff, I just sent Matt a message.

Scott Stankus

Mar 23, 2015, 11:39:08 AM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Also consider Mossy Creek Fly Fishing - they do guided smallmouth trips!

--Scott

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Bob Sivinski <bob...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Jeff, I just sent Matt a message.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Bob Richey

Mar 23, 2015, 12:38:56 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've been out with CT Campbell and like him a lot.  He's a retired park ranger and knows a lot about the river.  He floats the south fork.  http://www.pagevalleyflyfishing.com/

Rob Snowhite

Mar 23, 2015, 1:27:33 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Bryan Kelly of The Anglers Inn at Harpers Ferry.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Richard Farino

Mar 23, 2015, 1:33:31 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You have a good selection of local guides within 1-2 hours of DC to plan a decent smallmouth trip.

Your local guides that fish from Shepherdstown, WV all the way down to Riverbend Park, VA:
If you want to push it to 3 hours:

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

--
http://www.tpfr.org

GSFeder

Mar 23, 2015, 1:53:26 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ditto Rob's recommendation. Emily and I do a full day trip every year with Brian out of Harpers Ferry.  They can do either the 'doah or Potomac, depending on conditions.

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone

Andy Thomas

Mar 23, 2015, 1:54:20 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Just to add to the list, you could also inquire at Harry Murray's Fly Shop in Edinburg, VA.  It's a little under 2 hours from DC.  I don't think Harry is still guiding, but I can't imagine he'd let someone who is not a top-notch guide be associated with his shop.

http://www.murraysflyshop.com/fly-fishing-guide-trips/

Ernie

Mar 23, 2015, 7:40:25 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Matt Miles is speaking at the PRSC tomorrow night...starts at 7:30 at the Vienna Fire House. Free admission.

Jp Whiteside

Mar 24, 2015, 10:53:18 AM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Kovach Fishing Services..Upper Potomac Float Trips, I have fished w/him for over thirty years,,,
Great Trip!  Check his web pages..local guy..Silver Spring.

Carl Z.

Mar 24, 2015, 9:05:00 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I will second Kovatch's guide service.  When they say a full day, they mean a full day.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bob Sivinski

Mar 25, 2015, 9:52:51 AM3/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks for all the leads everyone.

MikeV

Mar 26, 2015, 2:08:15 PM3/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
And if you are interested in smallmouth bass check out this group of guys. I think they are about to have their March meeting. There are tpfr members that are in the process as well.

http://www.prsc.org/

Mike

MikeV

Mar 26, 2015, 2:13:25 PM3/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Prsc. ... not process... I hate auto spell change...

Richard Farino

Mar 26, 2015, 2:15:39 PM3/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
They had their March meeting last night.  Every 4th Wednesday.