Small flies/ winter fly fishing and happy holidays

Justin Schiavone

Dec 21, 2015, 12:18:55 AM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've recently been super intrigued with fishing as light as possible tippet and going with small, small flies. It seems like a skill set necessary to have a successful go in Colorado. Anyway, I managed to get a few donkeys with my smallest flies yet: sizes 26 and 28. 👍👍 booyalacasha

Whats your take on going small? Successes? Failures? Tips?

Let's here the scoop. And, whats the most reliable source for small small flies? Ain't nobody got time to tie that small.

Oh yeah, I dressed up as Santa and hit the river. See attached for some photos. Due to inclement weather I only have a few snaps but enjoy.

Happy holidays everyone !!

Justin
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

namfos

Dec 21, 2015, 10:02:17 AM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
As stated previously, Justin, my view on tiny flies is to try tying/fishing them before presbyopia sets in. ;-)

Mark

namfos

Dec 21, 2015, 10:02:44 AM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Oh, and very ncie pics BTW!

Mark

TurbineBlade

Dec 21, 2015, 10:50:32 AM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Don't let Presbyteria settle-in or you'll have one fewer day of the week to fish.

Nice report!   I spent most of the weekend fishing #10 soft hackles in 4MR, which is almost (but not quite entirely) unlike your fishing ;).

Gene ("Adams") TB

Justin Schiavone

Dec 21, 2015, 11:00:26 AM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks guys. Battling wild fish with 7x leaders, small size flies and a click and paul reel is a freakin challenge, but when you get em in there is nothing like it. I didn't have a net either..

arthur noglak

Dec 21, 2015, 2:58:41 PM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Awesome post man! I love fishing small flies. Those bows are nice and chubby.

Art

Justin Schiavone

Dec 21, 2015, 4:47:52 PM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks brother Art! Healthy fish for sure.

namfos

Dec 22, 2015, 1:48:38 PM12/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I worship at the Church of the Significant Rise Form
church of significant rise form.jpg

TurbineBlade

Dec 22, 2015, 2:01:04 PM12/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Sorry Namfos -- I was born a snake-handler, and I'll die a snake-handler.

Gene

Matthew Longley

Jan 5, 2016, 5:18:08 PM1/5/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Justin how do you rig for flies that small? I'm guessing you aren't using an indicator - do you use split shot to get them down? I have trouble getting any find of feel with smaller nymphs, and my line control at the final few feet is garbage.

Andrew Caballero-Reynolds

Jan 5, 2016, 6:36:36 PM1/5/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey Justin,

I spent years fishing out west and some of my best fish were in small flies 22,24ect.... If you need to get down try tying on two small split shot about 8 inches up from the fly. But space the split shot out a fewinches. The split shot will roll across the bottom but the fly will float just above the bottom a bit. Yarn as an indicator always worked well or even tying on a length of leader at the area where you would have put the indicator and tie a big dry fly insted. Hey if you get 2 fish on at once on a 7 xthereis nothing more exciting haha. If you can't get the line through the eye loop, when you hands are cold it's a pain, just tie onto the bend in the hook.
Cheers

Andrew

Rob Snowhite

Jan 5, 2016, 6:39:59 PM1/5/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Justin and I are recording a podcast in about an hour. We'll discuss his transition from east to west. Should be a good one.

Rob Snowhite
Fly Fishing Consultant

Jan 6, 2016, 10:18:38 AM1/6/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, r...@robsnowhite.com
Rob that was a lot of fun, thanks for having me on man.

Thanks Andrew for all the tips man. I agree with separating the split shot a few inches for sure, Joe Humphreys style. Do you normally fish just one nymph? What were some of your go-to fly patterns out west?

Matthew, I rig those small flies off attractor nymphs to get down for sure, and yeah often times still needing split shot. You can always shorten the amount of line from one nymph to the other for more control. The same principle applies with split shot. The closer your split shot is to the fly the less it has to move freely - giving you a bit more control.

If you want to feel the fly better learn how to high stick your nymphs. To do this, keep your fly line off the water. Have a tight line so that even the  mono leader will extend above the water. You should feel the bottom as you pass the nymphs through the run (longer fly rods help in this arena). Youtube a video and see a visual, it's a great way to nymph.  Fishing longer casts, however, proves difficult with high sticking, so to fish further distances use a bobber or yarn for an indicator and dial in your casts so excess line is not present. Use the rod length to help you pick up line and make clean, easy mends.  And try to minimize slack as best as you can.  Finally, try a down and across, or swing, approach if you really like have direct contact. Fish your swing behind rocks and places where fish will hold. Good luck I hope that helps.

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 4:39:59 PM UTC-7, Rob Snowhite wrote:
Justin and I are recording a podcast in about an hour. We'll discuss his transition from east to west. Should be a good one.

Rob Snowhite
Fly Fishing Consultant

Jan 6, 2016, 12:09:18 PM1/6/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, r...@robsnowhite.com
Great post by Justin -- that's why I do (or at least try to do).

I've watched some Joe Humphreys videos -- that guy is a great fisherman.  I don't have the skill to upstream nymph without an indicator and get fish reliably.  I have to use a dry....and luckily it seems to be also effective.  Sometimes in clear water you can see a nymph like a weenie or something, and that's easy enough.

I'd love to be able to fish like that guy.

Gene

TurbineBlade

Jan 6, 2016, 12:10:33 PM1/6/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, r...@robsnowhite.com
Meant to add -- if you can fish North country spiders upstream and get lots of fish, same deal.  I cheat ;).

Gene

namfos

Jan 7, 2016, 9:30:00 AM1/7/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, r...@robsnowhite.com
You'd probably have to figure out how to make a living doing it in order to do it, Gene. I thought about it once but my wimminfolk were very adamant that they did not wish to live in genteel poverty. ;-)

Mark