Aloha and introduction

Nathan Miller

May 18, 2019, 3:59:15 PM5/18/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Aloha all, I am new to northern Virginia and just thought I would drop a line and introduce myself. I moved here from Hawaii this past January where I have been chasing bonefish for the past six years, and I am stoked about getting into all the mid-atlantic has to offer for fly fishing. Hoping to meet some similarly obsessed fisherman and plan some trips for this summer; I have drift boat if anybody is interested in going after smallmouth this summer once the water levels come down. I'll be at the next beer tie work schedule allowing. Thanks for reading, hope everyone has a good weekend!

Nathan

Daniel Lazenby

May 20, 2019, 6:43:45 PM5/20/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Welcome

Daniel

We're all stories in the end, just make it a good one.
Devin K., Virginia

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Nick

May 22, 2019, 5:04:57 PM5/22/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Welcome. Where did you fish in Hawaii? I will be in Maui and Kauai this summer and going to bring the fly rod.

Nathan Miller

May 23, 2019, 1:08:17 AM5/23/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Nick, most of the bonefish flats are on Oahu and Molokai. There are one or two very small flats on Kauai. I have also seen videos of people catching bonefish on Maui but this is mostly blind casting. If you really want a good shot at a bone I would consider a day trip to either Oahu or Molokai. For a real adventure I’d suggest Molokai because of how incredibly remote it feels and how much less educated the fish are there (if it’s on it’s incredible)   however it is extremely tide dependent and if the tides are wrong you may see very little. Oahu on the other hand is much more accessible and almost feels like urban fishing. The fish are always to be found but can be insanely spooky. Let me know if you’re interested in a guide and I can give you some names. You can of course throw streamers from any shoreline and likely catch small trevally or goatfish.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
Nathan Miller

Nick

Cary Pugh

May 29, 2019, 7:53:50 AM5/29/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi non Hawaiian here who has fished Oahu with guide and DIY. My last trip in Nov i actually caught DIY and did not with guide and boat. Winds were wrong for some of the flats and we lost sun. So if you are going to Oahu to see sights (eg pearl) I would add a DIY trip to flats near Hawaii Kai for a couple hours and let your family play on beach (or Hanauma Bay). Otherwise I endorse your SUP idea. I defer to native knowledge on Molokai and think that sounds tempting. I just would not make a special trip to Oahu only to fish. And certainly not without a guide. You are catching in civilization. Which itself is fun but not a special trip fun. As for DIY for bones think big heavy mantis shrimp. Trevally will eat striper food. Big baitfish (black, blue, white, flash). Tight lines.