Smallies

Morgan Cosgrove

Jun 12, 2017, 1:36:39 PM6/12/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Has anyone been getting into any smallies so far this summer? Looking to get out this weekend. I don't have a boat so I'll likely be wading. Curious how the Potomac or Shenandoah has been fishing. Cheers.

Andrew Chaney

Jun 12, 2017, 1:58:48 PM6/12/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Upper Potomac area was great for smallies last weekend. The water level was finally at a reasonable level.

Morgan Cosgrove

Jun 12, 2017, 2:32:55 PM6/12/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
What stretch were you fishing?

Flows look manageable, still a little weary of wading so I'm playing it by ear.

Bob Richey

Jun 12, 2017, 2:58:26 PM6/12/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I fished the North and South Forks both wading and floating around Luray last week and did quite well.  The S. Fork has come down and is clearer, the bottom is so craggy on it, I never wade if I can't see where I'm putting my foot.

MelserBonilla

Jun 12, 2017, 3:38:34 PM6/12/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was slamming 10"-16" smallies in Shenandoah over the weekend. I even landed a rainbow trout! I don't know how to add a pic of the bow to prove it.

Morgan Cosgrove

Jun 12, 2017, 5:20:05 PM6/12/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Great intel, thanks all. Anyone waded or fished up near Harpers Ferry lately?

Andrew Chaney

Jun 13, 2017, 9:12:12 PM6/13/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Check out the decent sized Potomac tributaries between Riverbend Park and Harper's Ferry. They're all wadable if the Potomac at Point of Rocks is at or less than 4 feet.

I've heard of others wading the Potomac when that gauge is 2.5 feet or lower in that area, but I've never tried it.

Jeffrey Silvan

Jun 13, 2017, 9:16:58 PM6/13/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm not particularly familiar with Point of Rocks, but isn't 4 foot really high for that gauge?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Andrew Chaney

Jun 13, 2017, 9:50:20 PM6/13/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
It's a little above average depending on the time of year, but I've found that to be the max allowable height for wading in nearby tributaries (definitely not foe the Potomac itself).

Jake Fowler

Jun 14, 2017, 10:36:24 AM6/14/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I hit a few good ones up at Point of Rocks last weekend on a float. It's pretty shallow down past the Lock on the MD side. I found a really nice hole there. they are surface feeding as the light starts to die.

Morgan Cosgrove

Jun 19, 2017, 11:02:09 AM6/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
How'd everyone do this weekend? Fished a few spots near/above Great Falls over the last few days and had success on poppers, buggers and crayfish.

Robert Bozzo

Jun 19, 2017, 12:20:25 PM6/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Wade fished point of rocks and Carderock for a combined 11hrs or so.  Only managed 3 under 8".  I may be using the wrong technique.  I was fishing downstream with unweighted crawdad imitations and a couple of split shot 18" above it to get it down.  I fished it like you would swinging streamers for trout casting 45 degrees down or so, mending upstream to get it down and then keeping pressure to maintain swing.  What do you guys recommend?  Also tried clousers retrieved across the current and "nymphed" through bolder pockets.  Not sure what I should be doing and what type of water to look for.  I assume back eddys, but should I target bolders or open water, fast or slow water?

Thanks

Bob Richey

Jun 20, 2017, 1:11:55 PM6/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I like to swing a shenks white streamer on a intermediate sink tip, or the same technique on a floating line with a pearl marauder.  I play around with the retrieve, but in early summer it seems to help to let it get down, so I don't strip much.  A lot of times I get the hit right on the swing.  I play around with quatering up or down on the cast.

Bob Richey

Jun 20, 2017, 1:27:50 PM6/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Meant to add: look for them in faster water, especially where there are a lot of rocks.  On hot days, pound the banks with poppers, but still in water with current.

GSFeder

Jun 20, 2017, 3:03:00 PM6/20/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
White seems to work. Deceivers, clousers. Vary the retrieve until you find what works.

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

HeaveToo

Jun 20, 2017, 3:21:49 PM6/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

If you want to find the bigger smallies, here is the combo:  Deeper water with large rocks and current, the sun is low in the horizon.  Fish a sculpin pattern deep.  MOST of my bigger smallies were caught in these conditions.

Divide the stream into pools.  There are three main sections.  The head of the pool, mid-pool, and the tail of the pool.  If you have a deep entry with good current in the head of the pool you can find a lot of smallies in this area, some mid-sized fish.  Here they are looking for baitfish so fishing a streamer based on the depth of the water works well.

In the mid-pool look for the boulder water I described earlier.  There are also areas where the fish may chase bait up into shallow water in lower light conditions.  The biggest thing to look for is current.  If you find an area where current goes by a grass bed fish a streamer.  If you see an area where current goes by logs try a crayfish.  If you find current going right by the bank and there is high grass by the bank try a hopper pattern in the summer.

The tail of the pool is where you may find a lot of smaller fish.  Fish a shallow running streamer in this area and you have a chance to catch a lot of fish.

Charlie Church

Jun 21, 2017, 8:23:34 AM6/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
One thing I haven't seen mentioned that I think is pretty important with smallies is to cover water. There are a lot of local outfitters that have canoe rentals / shuttle services. If you have a full day to fish, floating a river is in my opinion, one of the most efficient ways to fish for them.

Look for patterns as you start the float and hopefully by the end you will key in on where they are holding, what colors they are reacting to and what they are eating.

Barracuda

Jun 21, 2017, 12:58:32 PM6/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I would love to know the names/contact info for local outfitters (and what rivers they cover). Any help appreciated.

Charlie Church

Jun 21, 2017, 1:25:33 PM6/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Front Royal Canoe Co on the Shenandoah is one I have used in the past.

I have seen a few others farther upriver but I forgot there names.

Bob Richey

Jun 21, 2017, 2:38:43 PM6/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Front Royal is good, the rent out Jackson fishing kayaks, which are fun. In Luray there is Shenandoah River Outfitters, which gets crazy busy with tubers on the weekend; if you use them go early and float 1-8.

Art Friedlander

Jun 21, 2017, 2:56:55 PM6/21/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Great suggestions on fishing and places
Does anyone rent pontoons?

Jun 21, 2017, 6:55:21 PM6/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, just...@yahoo.com
Downriver Canoe is in Bentonville along the South Shenandoah.  We've rented through Twin River Outfitters on the James in Buchanan and had a great experience. Eagles Nest is on the South Branch Potomac and offers rentals and shuttle service for floats.

Of all the operators I've used or seen most rent tubes, canoes, kayaks, rafts, and maybe paddle boards. Haven't seen pontoons yet.

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 2:56:55 PM UTC-4, Art Friedlander wrote:
Great suggestions on fishing and places
Does anyone rent pontoons?

Front Royal is good, the rent out Jackson fishing kayaks, which are fun. In Luray there is Shenandoah River Outfitters, which gets crazy busy with tubers on the weekend; if you use them go early and float 1-8.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Carl Z.

Jun 21, 2017, 8:37:36 PM6/21/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've only used these guys for tubing myself, but
at Harpers Ferry does rentals.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola