Shad

826 vues

tsm...@gmail.com

non lue,
8 avr. 2018, 21:58:4308/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Has anyone seen any shad this weekend?
I'm going to give it a try tomorrow afternoon......
I hope to see a few others out there.

another interesting shad matter.....
The Anacostia Watershed Society (AWS)
does some great work on the long term restoration of that troubled river and feeder streams. There latest newsletter discusses seeding shad on the Anscostia watershed. The folks at AWS are providing shad eggs to school classes to hatch and release. I look forward to casting for shad on those improving waters.

Gregg DiSalvo

non lue,
9 avr. 2018, 08:47:5409/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I fished the rapp saturday.  crystal clear and low water, but cold.  Saw a whole lot of nothing.  3 fly rods working a mile stretch and numerous spin guys.  NOTHING.  Cold had them turned around.

Heard there was some catching yesterday afternoon in DC.

Speaking of Shad in the classroom, has anybody heard anything about that "Shad Run" doc a few folks were working on kickstarter 3 or so years ago?  I think they had interviewed some involved in similar programs.

Gregg

Jonathan Sondej

non lue,
9 avr. 2018, 09:07:5609/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I fished about 3.5 hours for two shad at Fletcher's yesterday that happened within 5 minutes of each other.

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:58:43 PM UTC-4, tsm...@gmail.com wrote:

tperkins

non lue,
9 avr. 2018, 09:34:4009/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was in a boat yesterday afternoon at Fletchers, pretty good fishing with some nice size hickories. Caught 20 or so. Mostly on either  a white and red fly or chartreuse. Occasionally the bite would pick up and it would be fish or strike every other cast, but typically it was slower.

Ben Rogers

non lue,
9 avr. 2018, 17:07:1509/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I caught 2 and saw quite a few gizzard shad between little falls and chain bridge on sunday.

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:58:43 PM UTC-4, tsm...@gmail.com wrote:

Andrew Sarcinello

non lue,
10 avr. 2018, 10:20:1510/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I went to a favorite eddy near chain bridge Sunday afternoon and fished it for an hour - nothing.  Then went up to the rapids of Little Falls and wrangled some gizzard shad.  Eventually one actually ate the fly. Better than nothing!

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:58:43 PM UTC-4, tsm...@gmail.com wrote:

Terry C

non lue,
10 avr. 2018, 14:04:0110/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I fished the Rapp on Sunday,  after 2 hrs down river of the Rt 1 bridge with only 1 shad, I moved up above the bridge and fished the seams and small pools.  There were a ton of shad up river above RT 1.  It was like trout fishing for shad.  Much prefer the Fletchers experience in a boat.  It should be crazy after this weeks temps .

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:58:43 PM UTC-4, tsm...@gmail.com wrote:

Gregg DiSalvo

non lue,
10 avr. 2018, 14:05:4210/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Shhhhhhh.  It's gunna be horrible...Nobody go out and fish ;)

Also wish I had ventured above the bridge.  Silly not to but hindsight is 20/20

Terry C

non lue,
15 avr. 2018, 12:47:4915/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:58:43 PM UTC-4, tsm...@gmail.com wrote:
Sunday morning between 7:00 and 10:00. Managed to get into some shad. Not epic but enough to make it worth wile. Temps dropped 10 degrees and winds came up. More Americans came to hand than Hickory’s. Very surprised
F2C89627-ECB8-4FFD-9453-70C5BD5E6874.jpeg

Severn

non lue,
15 avr. 2018, 15:23:3615/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Went to Fletcher's yesterday and it was almost impossible to get a rowboat.  Apparently all the boats were out before dawn and a long waitlist the rest of the day.

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:58:43 PM UTC-4, tsm...@gmail.com wrote:

Alexander Vu

non lue,
17 avr. 2018, 08:11:5717/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I caught 27 hickory shad on 4/12/18 in 3 hours on purple shad jig, orange shad jigs size 10 hooks and snowhite damsel.  Did anyone catch American shad yet?
Alex

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:58:43 PM UTC-4, tsm...@gmail.com wrote:

Bobby Davis

non lue,
17 avr. 2018, 09:34:3317/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Additionally,
If you are only catching hickories...does it mean you need to do something different to catch American's?

Lane Thurgood

non lue,
17 avr. 2018, 10:26:1717/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
See Terry's post two up.  He caught more Americans than hickories on Sunday.  I had the same experience last Friday.  I have been fishing the shad run for a dozen years or so and I can honestly say in that entire time, it's the first time that happened to me. I think i probably had 2:1 Americans to hickories.

And in response to Bobby's question, as a general rule, people fish lower and slower for Americans, but you may also need to change spots (and schools).  Sometimes with hickories, the fast retrieves (even hand-over-hand) light them up.  When I got into my school of Americans on Friday, it was a wet fly type swing followed by maybe three inch slow "bump" strips rather than faster longer strips.

I catch more Americans from boat than shore, but I have caught Americans from shore.

On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 8:11:57 AM UTC-4, Alexander Vu wrote:

Richard Lin

non lue,
17 avr. 2018, 13:23:0717/04/2018
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I have caught some shad. I was not sure if they were American or hickory. I knew about the one dot and more dots on sides. When I catch it, it has only one dot when I look at it directly. Then I see more dots when I look at it with little tilt.

Which one do you think? I caught about 15 shads, lost one and lost shooting head line (broke off from running line. I used spey two hands rod) last Saturday.

https://vimeo.com/265232270

Thanks

Richard

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bobby Davis

non lue,
17 avr. 2018, 13:27:4517/04/2018
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The easiest way to tell is the shape of the mouth and head.  Hickory shad have bad over bites while Americans don't.  Americans have a slightly rounder head profile too.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.

Alexander Vu

non lue,
17 avr. 2018, 13:28:2817/04/2018
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Richard: that is a hickory. The mouth oh the hickory shad is larger on the bottom jaw. The American shad now that are equal.

Richard Lin

non lue,
17 avr. 2018, 13:41:5017/04/2018
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I see that now. Thanks Alex and Bobby.

Richard Farino

non lue,
17 avr. 2018, 13:44:5817/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Underbite.  A Hickory shad’s lower jaw protrudes past the upper jaw when closed.  General size is also a good indicator, with hickories being moderately smaller than Americans, but nothing’s set in stone.

Bobby Davis

non lue,
17 avr. 2018, 13:47:4717/04/2018
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes,  was distracted while typing.  Underbites not overbites.

This is informative.

To post to this group, send email to
tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.

http://www.tpfr.org
To post to this group, send email to
tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to
tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Yambag Nelson

non lue,
17 avr. 2018, 19:12:3217/04/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Like someone else mentioned, the best way to catch Americans is to fish slow and deep. I barely strip the line. A few inches at a time with very long pauses in between. I almost always catch fewer fish than other guys so you will probably sacrifice numbers for size.

Richard Lin

non lue,
17 avr. 2018, 19:48:0317/04/2018
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
How long they are going to stay in Fletchers Cove? 1 week? 2 weeks?