Watercraft for apartment dwellers

Jamie Carracher

May 28, 2019, 10:02:41 AM5/28/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi all, I know there have been a few threads about kayaks and the such, but I was curious for folks' thoughts on fishing watercraft that are compact enough for city living specifically. For example, I've been intrigued by the Oru Kayak. It's super expensive but folds up into something I could store in the trunk of my car or in a closet at home.

I've contemplated stand-up paddle boards,too. I've only been an SUP once and it took me a bit to get used to it (I fell off a couple times) and am not sure how it'd be too fish off one, especially in places with current and rocks and riffles. The one I used was on a calm reservoir. That said, I've never fished in a kayak, either. Only canoes and rowboats.

In terms of use, I was thinking I'd use it primarily for ponds and rivers (upper Potomac/Shenandoah in the summer). Not looking to do anything extreme--just looking to cover more water.

Thanks!

D. Walker

May 28, 2019, 12:04:08 PM5/28/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I am fortunate enough that i can toss mine onto my patio from the ground floor, however I have been getting some ads for Flycraft, but i had my doubts until this weekend.
Not sure what your price point is, but I was out on the Shenandoah this weekend and saw one and was pretty impressed. check out flycraftusa.com

Andrew Sarcinello

May 28, 2019, 12:44:01 PM5/28/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Inflatable SUP is a good option. Bring a cooler and cast from a seated position if you find it isn't quite stable enough for casting. I do not advise using one in areas of strong current though, they get spun around too easily. But for lakes and slower creeks and rivers, they're pretty awesome.

I use one made by this company, they often have some sale packages that are an incredible deal:

Being able to deflate it and roll it up into a backpack is amazingly convenient.

Dalton Terrell

May 28, 2019, 2:23:05 PM5/28/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi Jamie,

My wife got me an inflatable paddleboard last Christmas that I've been keeping at my in-laws in Southwest Florida. I've spent six or seven full days on the water now and love it--my board is 11'6" x 34" and is quite stable, I'd say the same or more stability as a large-ish canoe, and quite a bit more stable than any kayak I've been in. It's a bit of a pain to hand pump, doable but not fun, but luckily I got a package deal with electric pump that uses a car cigarette lighter. If you're getting one, I'd look at models 33-36" wide to get sufficient stability. I've been on hard SUPs that are 28" or 30" wide and they are super sketchy for me without even fishing.

I've used it in mangrove creeks and small bays, it is easier to paddle than a canoe while solo but its still better to stay at home if the wind picks up. I haven't taken it in flowing water outside minor tidal flows to be able to speak to that. A couple must have accessories are a cooler to sit on and a stake out pole to hold your spot in shallow water, as well as some lashes to hold gear in place.

The best part of the SUP is the ability to stand up while casting to get a better vantage point on fish and structure. The kayak you link looks like it sits really low and would be not so fun fishing from for me.

I'd hoped it would be easier to travel with, but it's heavy (~50 lbs with pump, paddle, bag, etc.) and in a bag the size of an international suitcase. This is obviously way easier to store and transport than a standard kayak, canoe, or hard paddleboard.

Dalton

Connor Donovan

May 28, 2019, 6:07:39 PM5/28/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
A watermaster or some sort of one-person cataraft/pontoon may be a good fit too.  They are inflatable with frames or oars that break down and are fairly stable.  They aren't the greatest for trying to crank out river miles but for shorter flat water trips or ponds and lakes, you'd be golden.

I bet you can find a good deal on a used one if you keep your eye on CL.

David Wisniewski

May 28, 2019, 6:20:20 PM5/28/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Coming from CO, pack rafting is starting to get popular. There are a few brands ranging from 3-10lbs. I have been keeping my eye on the Kokopelli products. They're legit. My buddy has a Supai at a lower price point.

David

--
http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Jamie Carracher

May 28, 2019, 9:39:25 PM5/28/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Wow those are some really awesome options. Thanks everybody! I have to admit, those Flycraft products look pretty freaking sweet. But more expensive than I was thinking of spending. And more than I need. But one day...

Most of the fishing I do is within an hour or so of DC, so I like the idea of a SUP and its quick assembly. Also, the investment is pretty good. Plus my wife, who has no interest in fishing, could use it. When you talk about current, what would be too much? Could it handle up north of Riverbend Park in the summer when the water is low—at least cross-crossing to find spots (I’m sure it’d probably go all over in the main current)? Or is it better in something like the Monocacy where the current is general a lot more slow (from what I’ve seen. I’m not an expert on that water). I’m not looking to go through rapids or anything—just thinking of the conditions I’m most likely to to experience here.

Andrew Sarcinello

May 29, 2019, 12:09:02 AM5/29/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I think you'd have trouble at Riverbend trying to head upstream on a SUP. However if you wanted to hike upstream a bit and then fish back down, without attempting to cross currents or go upstream, you'd be OK. Maybe I just need more practice but it seems hard to change drift line in fast water. Monocacy would be great though - I wanted to try that last year, but it was running 10X the level I like to fish it all of last summer and fall.

You can also get creative and use it to float some really small creeks, it's good to use to cover water and hit the good spots and just blast through all the shallow water in between. Have to watch out for fallen trees and sharp bends though. I tried it on Deer Creek in MD last year and had trouble keeping my balance going around bends (while sitting on cooler to paddle - I actually didn't stand up at all that trip). If you don't attach the large center fin on the back, you can pass through riffles and flat water that is only 6 inches deep. My friend in a kayak on that trip bottomed out and had to drag many times, but I rarely had that problem.

Ethan Do

Philip Brown

May 29, 2019, 9:38:31 AM5/29/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have no hands-on experience, but I found a good selection of options at this website:

I'd consider something inflatable and stable, and then maybe look at adding an electric trolling motor with an (expensive) light weight battery... secured into a battery box with lid secured to the boat (so you don't lose it if you ever tip), or maybe even a small 2 hp gasoline motor... but gas adds a whole new dimension in terms of storage and portability, since you have to address fumes and potential spillage.

Here's the type of trolling motor I'm thinking of:

Untitled.png

or this:

cLDXp.png

(From Amazon).

Untitled 3.png

For batteries, there's a whole new crop of light-weight lipo, LiFePO4, etc.. batteries.  I don't know which brands are best.  Look up some of the bass boat fishing boards, and I'm sure you can find out which brands are known and reliable.   At least some of the bass-boat guys love these batteries, and since some of them fish tournaments regularly, I'd be shocked if you couldn't find info on which batteries are best.   I'd definitely look towards a reliable brand, because lipo batteries need charge and discharge protection which is best implemented as a circuit on the battery itself, and you don't want to risk sketchy or poorly designed or built products as they can literally shoot out flames if charged too quickly (that's where the electronics protect you), and they can be permanently damaged if discharged too deeply.

So, think of this as just a thought that requires further investigation, rather than a full-fledged endorsement of any particular product or brand.

I have a friend who fishes regularly, and he had a set of these style batteries, and then replaced them with ones that only have 1/2 the capacity, because they were even lighter, and it turns out that he never used the full capacity of the larger ones, so he decided to go for the weight loss.

 He's very happy with them, they maintain almost full voltage over their whole useful life, they are super light weight, and they recharge ridiculously quickly... like after using them, he tops off the charge in 20 minutes or so.

If anyone's seriously considering this option, let me know and I can find out the brand that he uses.

On Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 1:35:12 AM UTC-4, Ethan Do wrote:
I’ve been looking into getting this SUP for maybe this summer or fall. Seems like it has features built to slap on a trolling motor to clear more water.

Respectfully,
Ethan Do

[...]

Eric Pardo

May 29, 2019, 10:05:18 AM5/29/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'll second Dalton's suggestion regarding steering clear of any SUPs below 32 or 33" wide. I bought a cheapo 27" wide inflatable SUP last spring/summer that was surprisingly decent considering the price, but I could just not feel stable fishing on it even in calm water. I don't think you need to break the bank, but I would definitely go for something that is at least wide enough to give you the stability to fish.

spst...@gmail.com

May 29, 2019, 10:18:48 AM5/29/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Honest question: why go SUP instead of kayak? It seems to me the options, price points, etc. are all better with ‘yaks than SUPs. I’ve never fished from a SUP but it looks much more difficult…

-Sean

--

http://www.tpfr.org

tperkins

May 29, 2019, 10:29:31 AM5/29/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
ideally you can stand on a SUP while fishing. Will allow you to spot fish/spots better and cast further. If it isn't stable enough to stand and cast from, sitting on a cooler will keep you much higher than a inflatable kayak (all I have seen are sit-ins). I have only fished from solid SUPs and it isn't too hard. Wasn't even a fishing specific one, just a low end LL bean branded BIC board.

On Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 10:18:48 AM UTC-4, spst...@gmail.com wrote:

Honest question: why go SUP instead of kayak? It seems to me the options, price points, etc. are all better with ‘yaks than SUPs. I’ve never fished from a SUP but it looks much more difficult…

-Sean

Andrew Sarcinello

May 29, 2019, 10:39:44 AM5/29/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Portability. If there's a kayak that can fit into a backpack that you can also stand to fish from, I'd love to hear about it.  You can backpack it in to places you can't get a kayak.

I personally find it easier to fly fish from an SUP because you are standing.  I am not a fan of being cramped in a kayak all day. YMMV.

As Eric and Dalton mentioned above, the key is to get a wide, inflatable model - most hard body SUPs are not stable enough for fishing.

On Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 10:18:48 AM UTC-4, spst...@gmail.com wrote:

Honest question: why go SUP instead of kayak? It seems to me the options, price points, etc. are all better with ‘yaks than SUPs. I’ve never fished from a SUP but it looks much more difficult…

-Sean

Charlie Church

May 29, 2019, 11:51:05 AM5/29/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I think SUP vs Kayak is really dependent on the use case. I have seen some inflatable SUPs that are really easy to transport. The BOTE inflatable stands out to me. We auctioned one off at an event last year and you could easily carry it one handed while fully inflated. You can't really do that with a kayak.

SUP Pros:
- You can stand
- Not sitting all day
- Easier to transport

Kayak Pros:
- A good kayak can most situations IE: wind, chop, current, swell, structure, or anything that would make paddling difficult.
- More storage
- Peddle if you have the $$$$$

I personally own two kayaks as well as a gheenoe lt25. I still take the kayaks out when I go out for a quick trip or need to be able to handle a little bit more chop.

If anyone ever needs non-inflatable kayak recommends, I can say which to get and which to avoid. I had one reputable brand's kayak sink on me due to their plastic not being that great and the response I got from them caused me to never touch another one of their products again.

tperkins

May 29, 2019, 12:03:52 PM5/29/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yea, my comments were only aimed at inflatable kayaks and boards. If I was in the market for a non inflatable board or kayak I would look sit on top kayaks that you can also stand up in easily or a bote board or other fishing specific board. My current kayak, Tarpon 120 doesn't allow me to stand (also no place to store it) but Gregg D. has a kayak he can stand in and I think that is the best of both worlds.

Richard Farino

May 29, 2019, 1:07:33 PM5/29/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Jamie,

I've held off responding because of course my reply is biased, but it's biased because I did a little research on brands and what they had to offer before I put them in the shop.

I wanted to put SUPs in the shop that could get fly fishers into waters around the Potomac, its tributaries, and other smaller waters, like tidal creeks and back bays. I wanted a platform that was stable enough to cast and move back and forth, and somehow carry more than one rod, and something to sit on.

I wanted to be able to drop in alongside roads and small parks, paddle up into skinny water, and chase snakehead and bass in places that were either too soft and muddy to walk in, too overgrown to bushwack, or just surrounded by homes with no public access. Think Little Hunting, Blackwater, Cameron, and a bunch of other No Tellum creeks in the area.

I also am in a townhouse off H Street NE and don't want to mess with taking it thru the house into our backyard so I wanted a more portable and convenient way to do what I wanted without buying a johnboat.

After hitting the fishing shows and trying the inflatable and hard BOTE boards, I was sold. I even bought one myself, which is assembled in the shop with all the bells and whistles. BOTE isn't the least expensive model, but in my opinion, it's one of the best. Other brands like Pau Hana were on the list but I went with a company that was wedded to the fly fishing industry and had product availability.

There are ups and downs to every SUP, and the easiest way to tell if it's something you'd like to use is to just call me at the shop and ask me to bring you somewhere to demo it. Any of you are welcome to do the same anytime.

Regards,

Richard

On 5/28/19, 9:39 PM, "Jamie Carracher" <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com on behalf of jcarr...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

namfos

May 29, 2019, 2:32:41 PM5/29/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
As a general FYI, every May the Appomattox River Company, paddleva.com, has an in-water demo day down in Farmville, VA. All their products, SUPs, kayaks (sit-ins, sit on tops), paddles, canoes, etc are there for tryouts on the water. With plenty of ARC staff and factory reps to answer questions.

I went down there about 5 years ago and glad I did before making my choice of kayak for fishing. Very worthwhile.

Mark

Gregg DiSalvo

May 29, 2019, 5:31:43 PM5/29/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If between inflatable Kayak and inflatable SUP, I'd choose SUP 100% of the time for fly fishing.  As Thomas mentioned, I have a kayak that is incredibly stable. I am going into my 3rd season with it and I think I've thrown a fly from the seat under 5 times.  Fly fishing standing up is so much easier.  If you can find a stable SUP (wide) then I'd go for that.  I've paddled, but never fished from a few inflatable SUPs and found them pretty stable.  There's an acclimation period, but that could be said for my kayak as well.  Once you get a feel for it, I think you could modify it to suit your needs.

Jamie Carracher

May 30, 2019, 11:19:55 AM5/30/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks everyone for your feedback and product suggestions. It's been super helpful--I'm now really leaning toward a SUP. I love the idea of easy set up and portability. I think it'll fit my needs, which are basically just getting access to more fishable areas that I can't on foot. Rich, I may just take you up on that hands on demo. I've seen that one in the shop.

I've noticed a lot of the marketing materials for these things don't show people in life jackets. Do you all have a rule of thumb for when you wear one?

Kevin Muhlendorf

May 30, 2019, 11:49:32 AM5/30/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Funny story about the issue of inflatable SUP and life jackets.  I actually had to defend a UVA student who was cited by VA DGIF for not wearing a life jacket on her inflatable SUP on a lake in Charlottesville.  Only reason we fought the ticket was that it was a criminal citation - not a traffic ticket like a failure to wear a seat belt - and she wanted to be in a profession where a criminal violation (no matter how silly) could have been an issue.  Case was dismissed, and the law on this is debatable, but DGIF does define SUPs as "watercraft," thus requiring a life jacket if you are more than a few feet from shore.  As to whether an inflatable SUP is a "watercraft" or a pool toy, we clearly go the better of the argument that day, but I wouldn't risk it - plus you really should wear them anyway.

Richard Farino

May 30, 2019, 12:07:24 PM5/30/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Jamie,

Any time.  Just give me some advance notice so I can make sure to make time.

As for PFDs – I always wear one.  I use the BOTE which is a Type III inflatable that you wear around your waist like a belt, but you can use any brand.  Stearns makes one as well, as do any of the other companies that sell boats like West Marine, Bass Pro Shops, and even Cabelas.

I also have a leash that I wear on the SUP in heavy or moving water.

Hope that helps.

From: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Jamie Carracher <jcarr...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 11:19 AM
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>

Thanks everyone for your feedback and product suggestions. It's been super helpful--I'm now really leaning toward a SUP. I love the idea of easy set up and portability. I think it'll fit my needs, which are basically just getting access to more fishable areas that I can't on foot. Rich, I may just take you up on that hands on demo. I've seen that one in the shop.

--

http://www.tpfr.org

Andrew Sarcinello

May 30, 2019, 12:41:29 PM5/30/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
BOTE's look sweet and there's a lot to be said for SUPs that are made with fishing in mind. I know I suggested a budget option, but generic SUPs like the Xterra I have definitely require a little customization and buying added features to make it a decent fishing machine.  For example, I had to buy some rope and a small anchor just to have something to hold it in place on the water - not that it was expensive, but it gets to be a lot of parts to keep track of.  And the foot pump isn't the best quality so I will probably end up buying a better one soon.  You could drop the extra cash initially and get something like a BOTE that is awesome right from the start.

michael cervino

May 31, 2019, 9:54:32 AM5/31/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I recommend taking a look at Inova Kayaks. I own one and am thrilled with its performance and portability. https://www.innovakayak.com/inflatable-kayaks The Safari 330 is what I use - https://www.innovakayak.com/safari-330. I've done 5 day kayak camping trips on it. Does well on flat water and rapids. More stable for fly fishing than some other inflatables I tried out.

Jamie Carracher

Jul 9, 2019, 10:11:49 PM7/9/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Just to follow-up on my thread, I ended up buying a SUP in the sub-$1,000 price range. I got a 34 inch board, which is a little bit smaller than some of the specialized fishing boards but a bit bigger than the average. I really like it and am glad I went with that size because I could see myself using it just for fun—and it’s something my wife can use too.

I’ve fished from it three times now. I have been going out with just my fly rod, anchor (which I haven’t used yet) and my PFD around my waist. I don’t have a cooler and have considered buying one for a seat but at the moment I like the simplicity of going without. I cast standing up, on my knees and even sitting down with my legs in the water when I get tired. I had my first big fishing breakthrough over the weekend when I caught a 20ish inch snakehead out on a tidal creek. I actually cast from my knees for that fish. It was very cool to have the ability to be that stealthy. That day as I cruised through the weeds I passed over several snakehead and they didn’t spook until they literally looked me in the eyes over top them. That seems like a definite advantage over the people on motorized boats.

In terms of disadvantages, I haven’t figured out fishing in current or at least navigating through it. I’ve seen videos of people making tight turns on SUPs but it’s not super easy. On my second outing I actually broke one of my rods when it got tangled with a sunken tree because of some mild current. If I were going to use it to float a river, I’d aim for something wide, slow and no super tight turns, at least for someone like me still getting a hang of it.

Daniel Lazenby

Jul 10, 2019, 10:49:49 AM7/10/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jamie,
May I suggest talking with Potomac Paddle Sports. They're in Potomac MD. I've taken sea kayaking classes from them and they were excellent. I learned every maneuver I had read about and better ways of executing the ones I already knew. If there's a known SUP maneuver you'll know how to execute it by the time classes are over. You may discover a few of your own devising.

Daniel

--
http://www.tpfr.org