Thoughts on an affordable 9 wt. 9- 10ft rod setup.

Aaron O

Sep 29, 2016, 12:25:43 AM9/29/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
So I've been trying to do more surf fishing and I'm concerned my 7wt. Orvis Clearwater is just not enough for Long Island, Virginia Beach and possibly the Salmon river. Thinking about getting a 9 wt. setup but since I would only use it a couple times a year, I want to keep it as economical as possible. Thoughts or suggestions?

Scott Stankus

Sep 29, 2016, 7:14:47 AM9/29/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what you consider "economical" but I recently used a TFO TiCr X 10-wt ($299.95) and I was super impressed with it. It also comes in a 9-wt. I don't remember the reel, but it was matched with a Scientific Anglers sink tip line (of which about 5' had of the shooting head had been removed) and it was a lot of fun to cast!

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Richard Farino

Sep 29, 2016, 8:42:41 AM9/29/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Maybe it’s just me, but I never just use my 9wt a couple times a year.  I usually don’t fish saltwater with anything lighter than my 9, including the Bay.  I understand the fish are smaller but the 9 busts thru the wind and throws heavier sinking lines and bigger flies easier.

Take a look at Rise Fishing.  The Level and Level X rods are stiff, can handle big fish, throw heavy sinking lines, and have a great warranty too.

As for reels, your 9/10wt saltwater reel will double as a 7wt spey reel for those steelhead and brown trout in the Great Lakes or west coast (or if you insist Gravelly).

Yambag Nelson

Sep 29, 2016, 9:28:34 AM9/29/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The TFO TiCRX is a great suggestion  I fish one in an 8 weight and like it is a great stick for the price.   I also picked up a TFO BVK 9 weight when urban angler was going out a business for $180 and it is also a great rod.  For "budget" rods I don't think you can beat TFO.

Jeffrey Silvan

Sep 29, 2016, 9:49:42 AM9/29/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I got to throw a Rise rod (I think it was the Level) a couple months ago and it surprised me with how well it performs. It's extremely fast action and makes a 30 knot gust seem like a gentle breeze.

From: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Aaron O <osh...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 12:25 AM
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com>
Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Thoughts on an affordable 9 wt. 9- 10ft rod setup.
So I've been trying to do more surf fishing and I'm concerned my 7wt. Orvis Clearwater is just not enough for Long Island, Virginia Beach and possibly the Salmon river.  Thinking about getting a 9 wt. setup but since I would only use it a couple times a year,  I want to keep it as economical as possible.  Thoughts or suggestions?

http://www.tpfr.org

Carl Z.

Sep 29, 2016, 10:09:22 AM9/29/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

For a rod you are not going to use a lot, look for clearance items.
Another option is check ebay.  9wt's go for cheap, because everyone is in the same boat.  It's a rod that doesn't get used too much.  Just be sure to look at the pictures closely.
The third option is to build one out on the cheap.   It can be done for under $100 and you get a decent rod.  For $200 you build a very nice rod.

Carl

alan burrows

Sep 30, 2016, 7:17:37 AM9/30/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I looked at West Yellowstone Anglers 8 weight shoot out and assumed if it was good at an 8 weight it was good at 10 (what I was shopping for).  The clear affordable winner was TFO BVK.  I found a used one on eBay for <$200.  I then did what Richard F  suggested and put a new line on my 7 weight spey reel.  Much less expensive than a new reel

Jim White

Sep 30, 2016, 11:27:27 AM9/30/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Love my TFO BVK 9foot 9wt paired with a TFO 375 (which I paid way too much for but it is a very nice reel).

TurbineBlade

Oct 3, 2016, 12:08:14 PM10/3/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Regardless of what you get, try to find someone who fishes the surf regularly and see if they'll allow you to go out with them.  They'll not only teach you what to look for, but they'll probably already know areas to avoid due to traffic and/or "dead beaches" with groomed sand and no obvious fish structure as far as the eye can see.  My experience is that some beaches are really never worth bothering with, in any circumstance.

I was out the other day with a 9' 8-weight, and with a 20-25 mph onshore wind, and if I had the choice, I would have probably used a 9-weight.  That's me fishing in a pretty obvious rip near a pier not too far from sandbridge.

Virginia Beach made me realize that I hate the beach, all of the tourists, the sand rubbing your feet raw, the random waves beating you up, that sticky, salty feeling on your skin, and just about everything else.  If I ever went again, I would spend 100% of my time in the backwater areas on a boat (yak or otherwise) on a falling tide looking for redfish around that vegetation.  Did not get a bite that trip until I bought some squid and went to the back bay area.....

It did, however, reiterate to me that I would never want to enter a fly casting tournament against anyone who cut his/her teeth fly fishing the surf.  There is nothing more demanding than the surf.

Gene
20160916_125446.jpeg

Carl Z.

Oct 3, 2016, 2:12:15 PM10/3/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
What a dinky, stylish  trout chest pack for salt water fishing.  Otherwise you've got that Atlantic surf fishing look down.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Andrew Sarcinello

Oct 4, 2016, 10:38:29 AM10/4/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'll throw in another vote for TFO. I have a Clouser series rod in 8 WT and love it - believe it cost me $210