Carrying a camera

Jeffrey Silvan

Dec 12, 2014, 8:46:26 PM12/12/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I just got myself a DSLR camera. I'm looking forward to taking it with me on fishing trips, but I'm obviously a bit worried about keeping it dry - particularly while wading in case I dunk myself. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips about how you bring cameras along with you safely? I've done a quick search on Amazon and found some "underwater" bag-type housings, but not sure how well that will work at the end of the day.

Rob Snowhite

Dec 12, 2014, 9:42:15 PM12/12/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Korango bag.

Sent from my iPhone

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Rob Snowhite

Tom Guffain

Dec 12, 2014, 11:01:00 PM12/12/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I use an Overboard Waterproof SLR Bag (www.overboard.com) when I'm fishing on my yak.

Bob Smith

Dec 13, 2014, 11:53:20 AM12/13/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You are going to find a DSLR really awkward if you plan on shooting while wading. You'll probably be using a telescopic lens for the most versatility. The camera will bang around a lot with every motion you make if you are carrying it ready to shoot photos. And if you slip or fall getting the camera wet will be the least of your worries. Breaking the lens, cracking the body or snapping the lens from the body are all very likely possibilities.

Bringing a DSLR to photograph your trip is great while not actually engaged in fishing. When fishing you're better off with one of really great digital compacts available today from Fuji, Olympus etc. they are small, easy to use and have incredible imaging sensors. Some have interchangeable lens systems.

Bob Smith

Dec 13, 2014, 11:59:32 AM12/13/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Addendum: if you're just going to carry it and not shoot while fishing a Korongo bag is the way to go.
What camera did you get?

Brendan

Dec 13, 2014, 12:29:31 PM12/13/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Depends what you're doing with it...but generally, I do a double grocery bag, then tuck it in my daypack - usually wrapped in rainjacket and fleece/sweater. if needed, extra lens(es) in ziplocs. If i'm doing a canoe in moving water, i'll wrap the travel case in a trash bag and loop it off and stuff it in the pack. Probably sounds more complicated than it is. Small streams/hiking trips just throw the travel case in the daypack and go.

Also, depends what you're shooting... for most shots the camera on my phone works fine (ziplocked in a zippered jacket/waders pocket). the cameras on phones have gotten so good that i rarely breakout the SLR unless it's something special -- Waterfalls, sunsets, closeups of wildlife, etc.

have fun,

Jeffrey Silvan

Scott Stankus

Dec 15, 2014, 1:09:21 PM12/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
So, out of curiosity, how do you plan on achieving the hero shot with the DLSR? I find I usually only carry my DSLR when I'm out fishing with someone. I've thought about setting up the camera on a tripod on the shore when I'm out by myself, but I've been too worried about it walking away before I could get out of the water. (This is mostly at Roaches Run and 4 Mile).

--Scott

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Jeffrey Silvan

Dec 15, 2014, 1:16:09 PM12/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You basically have it right, the majority of time will be if I'm fishing with someone. But, I've found a few articles on how to take cool fishing "selfies." Most of them tend to not be the traditional hero shots, but still make for some pretty darn cool photography.

Scott Stankus

Dec 15, 2014, 1:22:55 PM12/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Both good articles, thanks for sharing!

--Scott

Tim Donaldson

Dec 18, 2014, 5:03:40 PM12/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm a shutterbug myself and have some thoughts.  I have a DSLR that shoots hi-def video, and I also have an Olympus Tough series point and shoot.  The Olympus is a 12MB model takes seriously good photos, and also can survive a 7 foot drop, is submersible to 60 feet and is free-proof. It is also very small, and fits in a shirt or jeans pocket comfortably.  I can use one of the narcissistic "selfie"poles with it, and I can attach a floatie wrist strap that ensures it will not sink.  I once lost it while SUP surfing and found it bobbing in the waves 30 minutes later.

I took it to Angkor Wat and ended up taking some of my most memorable photos with it.  And here's the kicker - it was only $200.  My advice is to leave the SLR at home when you're on the boat...it's not worth getting it wet or losing it.  Break it out when you are on foot and the weather is cooperating.  Just my two centavos.

jay.je...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2014, 8:47:35 AM12/22/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Take a look at Smithfly...Pretty slick stuff that has worked well for me...

Art Friedlander

Dec 26, 2014, 10:54:17 AM12/26/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Am in the process of looking for a new fly line for 8 wt rod for casting large flies after I have given up on my Rio Outbound Tropical Short [running line stripped off and repeatedly becomes twisted].

Have been considering the Scientific Anglers Sharkwave having liked the previous Sharkskin.

Anyone have experience with this line or others they can recommend?

Thanks,

Art

John Bilotta

Dec 26, 2014, 1:30:08 PM12/26/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Art,
I like the Sharkwave, but you might also look at the Airflo 40 plus.
John

--
http://www.tpfr.org