do you know what this is?

brian randolph

Aug 16, 2016, 8:20:16 PM8/16/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I said bowfin but I'll leave it to the
image1.JPG
ATT00001.txt

TurbineBlade

Aug 16, 2016, 9:24:00 PM8/16/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Looks like a bowfin to me -- ask Dalton, he seems to get into those.

Gene

Scott Stankus

Aug 16, 2016, 9:46:21 PM8/16/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've never actually seen a bowfin, but I think you're right!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 16, 2016, at 8:20 PM, brian randolph <brianr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I said bowfin but I'll leave it to the
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---
> <image1.JPG>

Rex Moore

Aug 16, 2016, 10:14:15 PM8/16/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Or choupique (shoo-pick) as we called them in Louisiana:

Bowfin_fin_and_eyespot_diagram.jpg

Rob Snowhite

Aug 16, 2016, 10:30:21 PM8/16/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yup. Only seen them pickled in lab. Still want to see one in the wild and cast to it. Heard they are quite ferocious.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 16, 2016, at 10:14 PM, Rex Moore <rexm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Or choupique (shoo-pick) as we called them in Louisiana:

Rex Moore

Aug 16, 2016, 11:04:53 PM8/16/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I actually had one jump into my boat at night while frogging in Bayou Vermilion near Lafayette, Louisiana. Flopped right in front of my face while we were motoring along. That was over 30 years ago, and I still haven't quite recovered from the shock. :)

Dalton Terrell

Aug 17, 2016, 7:15:10 AM8/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That looks like a spinnerbait to me, but I'm no expert...but definitely a bowfin hanging from it.

I haven't seen or caught any around here, but caught several in North Carolina as well as one in Michigan. Sweet fish!

Dalton

Dave Stephenson

Aug 17, 2016, 7:32:42 AM8/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Bowfin. I grew up down in southeastern Virginia swamps we used to catch him all the time. Some of the old-timers called them a grinnel if I remember correctly. Incidentally they taste like mud

TurbineBlade

Aug 17, 2016, 7:38:44 AM8/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Rex - I enjoy frog gigging and did some just a few weeks ago in MO.  You have to watch where you step and whatnot, but that's some real backwoods fun!  I don't think MO has anything on the Bayou though.....you guys have all kinds of random species down there.

I'd actually like to catch a bowfin but don't fish in places that have them.  Cool catch --

Gene

Brian

Aug 17, 2016, 9:01:12 AM8/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yeah, looks like spinnerbait to me, too, but it wasn't my fish.  A friend of a friend caught it and sent the pic to me for identification.  Catch location:  NC.

Scott Stankus

Aug 17, 2016, 9:14:58 AM8/17/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I've also heard bowfin called blackfish.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 9:01 AM, Brian <brianr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, looks like spinnerbait to me, too, but it wasn't my fish.  A friend of a friend caught it and sent the pic to me for identification.  Catch location:  NC.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Misha Gill

Aug 17, 2016, 11:16:03 AM8/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
DINOSAUR FISH! Only time I ran into one was one the bank of the James River. It had a hook in its gut and line coming out its mouth, but the sucker was still alive! I almost didn't do anything because I thought it was a snakehead, but then I took pity and put it back in the water. Not that that changed the ultimate outcome, in all probability, but at least the fish got to choose the location of its final disposition.

Greggory DiSalvo

Aug 22, 2016, 12:44:34 PM8/22/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
you can get into bowfin on the Mattaponi, but the upper river gets super low in the summer.  Beautiful canoe trip where you have to portage over some trees here and there.