Best Fishing Books

Bob R

Jul 5, 2014, 12:25:11 AM7/5/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm always looking for a good fishing book and would like to know what members here consider their favorite fishing book.  What books do you consider classics and a must read?

I will be on vacation next week and need reading material.  Also, a few years ago I started collecting fishing related books and I'm always looking for more titles to add to my collection.
My personal preference isn't "How To" type books, I enjoy reading Fishing Lifestyle type books or Essay Collection and Memoirs from legendary anglers like Tom McGuane.  I just finished reading the latest from John Gierach.  "All Fishermen are Liars"  It was more of the same from him.

Here are a few of my favorites:

"Tales of Virgin Seas" by Zane Grey.  Grey may be better known for writing westerns but he was a prolific angler and adventurer.
"Fly Fishing Through the Midlife Crisis" by Howell Raines.  The Majority of this book is written about local waters.
"Trout Bum"  John Gierach.  This book is why I became interested in fly fishing.  There aren't many good books on the lifestyle of a gear and bait fisherman.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Best,
Bob

Bob Smith

Jul 5, 2014, 9:29:58 AM7/5/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
"The Last Pool: Upstream and Down and Big Stoney." by Howard T Walden.

My absolute favorite "fishin' stories" read. An easy chair, glass of whiskey, a roaring fire and snow falling outside is the perfect situation for reading this one.

Josh Cohn

Jul 5, 2014, 10:03:16 AM7/5/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Blues by John Hersey, Its about bluefish and two characters named fisherman & stranger. Phenomenal read.

namfos

Jul 5, 2014, 10:48:56 AM7/5/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Trout Madness and Trout Magic by Robert Traver (nom de plume of John Voelker).

Scott Waldies series about Traver's Corners is great too.

Home Waters: Fishing with an Old Friend: A Memoir by Joseph Monninger

Fishless days, angling nights by Sparse Grey Hackle

Reeling In Russia: An American Angler In Russia by Fen Montaigne

The Founding Fish by John McPhee

My Moby Dick by William Humphrey

The Big One: An Island, an Obsession, and the Furious Pursuit of a Great Fish by David Kinney

Catskill rivers : birthplace of American fly fishing by Austin M. Francis

The Snowfly by Joseph Heywood

American Fly Fishing: A History by Paul Schullery

American Waters: Fly-Fishing Journeys of a Native Son by Peter Kaminsky

The Run to Gitche Gumee: A Novel by Robert F. Jones

Enjoy,
Mark

Carl Z.

Jul 5, 2014, 12:09:28 PM7/5/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
On the humorous side, I like the Patrick McManus collections and I  enjoyed
Raising Hackles on the Hatties Fork if you can find it.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Eric Y.

Jul 5, 2014, 6:59:36 PM7/5/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
On the Run by Dave DiBenedetto is a great one. He (he's currently the Editor in Chief at Garden and Gun, previously Editor in Chief at SaltWater Sportsman) follows the fall striper run from Kennebec, ME, to Cape Hatteras, NC. Lots of discussion on the history, conservation, and science of the fish that built America in there, plus he meets a number of the striper "greats" and has some good fishing stories in there as well.

keith mclaughlin

Jul 5, 2014, 8:01:38 PM7/5/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The founding fish!
By Mcfee!

On Jul 5, 2014, at 6:59 PM, "Eric Y." <theeri...@gmail.com> wrote:

On the Run by Dave DiBenedetto is a great one. He (he's currently the Editor in Chief at Garden and Gun, previously Editor in Chief at SaltWater Sportsman) follows the fall striper run from Kennebec, ME, to Cape Hatteras, NC. Lots of discussion on the history, conservation, and science of the fish that built America in there, plus he meets a number of the striper "greats" and has some good fishing stories in there as well.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Scott Stankus

Jul 7, 2014, 9:04:08 AM7/7/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Since I haven't seen any of these mentioned yet, here are some that I've really enjoyed:

A Good Life Wasted by Dave Ames
Dances with Sharks by Dave Ames
True Love and the Woolly Bugger by Dave Ames

The Alaska Chronicles by Miles Nolte

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Scott Stankus

Jul 7, 2014, 9:07:05 AM7/7/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Oops - I forgot one (and a great one, at that!)

On the Run by David DiBenedetto

BHelm

Jul 8, 2014, 8:37:29 AM7/8/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I recently found a copy of A Fly Fisherman's Blue Ridge by Chris Camuto in my office's book collection and am really enjoying it. I also don't think it is possible to read A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean too many times...I have been through it at least a half dozen times, and it still sucks me in by the 2nd or 3rd page.

If you have ever spent time in musky country, A Compendium of Musky Angling History by Larry Ramsell is also a really cool read.

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 12:25 AM, Bob R <ridgew...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Tom T

Jul 9, 2014, 9:53:08 PM7/9/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
A lot of great suggestions so far.

I would second anything by Robert Traver.

I also really enjoyed crosscurrents by James Babb.

If you like outdoor literature, you should really subscribe to Gray's Sporting Journal.

Tom

Timothy Murphy

Jul 9, 2014, 10:08:08 PM7/9/14
to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups com

Lefty's fly fishing the chesapeake is a local favorite of mine

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Luke Peterson

Jul 10, 2014, 10:46:26 AM7/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If a scientific treatment of fish, habitat, and angling equipment sounds interesting to you, I would highly recommend The Science of Fly-Fishing by Dr. Stanley Ulanski (chair of the Environmental Science dept at James Madison U).

It's a great read, most of the author's angling experience is about his/our region, so the frequent fishing anecdotes tend to be local to the Shenandoah and Blue Ridge. You will learn a great deal about where different fish spend their time and why. It can become salmon-and-trout-heavy when addressing fish, but his treatment of geology/hydrology and tackle tech is applicable to all fresh/salt/still/tidal/flowing-water-dwelling species and those who stalk them.

It's immensely improved my ability to catch fish, and especially in reading water when venturing unguided to new streams and rivers.