Help naming leader material

Danny Barrett

Dec 31, 2014, 10:06:13 AM12/31/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Happy holidays,

I met a nice guy fishing the Jackson river in VA earlier in the month. He had this seemingly florescent red and green and red portion in the top of his leader for a strike indicator.  He explained it as 2 spools of material he tied together with a uni knot.  But I forget the name of that material. Does anyone happen to know what I'm talking about?  It seemed to be a better indicator then the floats I currently use and seemed easy to make.  I'm sorry for the poor discription.

Thanks,

Dan Barrett
540-222-8064

Rob Snowhite

Dec 31, 2014, 10:16:01 AM12/31/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Could be Amnesia running line. I use it on all my lines between line and leader.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Danny Barrett

Dec 31, 2014, 10:30:28 AM12/31/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

That sounds like it. Is that something any orvis or dicks like store would carry?
Thank you so much

Dan Barrett
540-222-8064

Jeffrey Silvan

Dec 31, 2014, 10:34:22 AM12/31/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I can't resist... you couldn't remember the name of the material was called Amnesia?! Oh, the irony!

jay.je...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2014, 5:48:38 PM12/31/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You can also go the route of making a slinky indicator with just high vis mono(common in saltwater fishing)...

Carl Z.

Jan 2, 2015, 12:50:07 PM1/2/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Great link Jay,

You used to be able to get little orange tubes that you could put over your leader (Scientific Angler strike indicators), Harry Murray was a proponent, and the only place I can find them now are on some of his pre-tied leaders.  http://catalog.murraysflyshop.com/products/murrays-bright-butt-leader-9

However the slinky indicator seems to be something new.
https://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=HD156

I may have to try it.  And think, from one spool of Amnesia you can get hundreds of strike indicators :-)

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Rob Snowhite

Jan 2, 2015, 2:44:24 PM1/2/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

TurbineBlade

Jan 3, 2015, 3:48:37 PM1/3/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've tinkered with sighters (bright backing, amnesia) a little, but never stick with it.  Oddly, some folks will say things like "I don't use indicators" but will then admit to staring at a colored piece of line for when nymphing to detect strikes.  If that doesn't seem strange, you may be a fly fisherman.

Gene

On Friday, January 2, 2015 2:44:24 PM UTC-5, Rob Snowhite wrote:
Rio Kahuna

image1.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-tips-technique/get-slinky-with-your-indicator/