New Orleans redfish

Art Friedlander

Feb 28, 2017, 10:29:22 AM2/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Looking for recommendations regarding fishing for redfish.  Will be in New Orleans first week of June and hoping to fish for a few days.
Appreciate suggestions for guides, places, etc. regarding redfish.
Thanks,

Art

Jeffrey Silvan

Feb 28, 2017, 10:52:24 AM2/28/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I highly recommend Greg Moon from Louisiana Fly Fishing Charters. I fish with him all the time down there. You typically meet him at Penny's Cafe, which isn't terribly far away from NOLA proper  (30 minutes), so you can even take a cab there and ride to the put in with him. If he's unavailable, he'll recommend either Rocky Thickstun or Lucas Bisset. All of them are awesome, and they'll always be working together anyway to figure out best methods for the day if things are tough. It's almost like you have three guides working for you!

I haven't fished early June (only summer fishing was in July), but I believe that's when conditions typically stabilize and while you probably won't run into any 50-fish days like you would in October, but you shouldn't have a 80% chance of getting rained/blown out. Summer typically has very consistent, excellent fishing.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Marek Rich

Feb 28, 2017, 1:54:22 PM2/28/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Diddo Greg Moon. That guy is so dialed in down there. Very impressive guide and a fun guy to hang with.

Art Friedlander

Mar 1, 2017, 8:31:06 AM3/1/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the Redfish info.
I will definitely check in with Greg and see if I can work something out.

I also agree with that recommendation.  Fished with Rocky Thickstun in January, and while I failed to link with a redfish, it couldn't be blamed on the guide.  He put me on plenty of good fish.  You might consider renting a car if staying in the city.  When I met him at Penny's Cafe, I easily got an uber from the city but getting one back was another story.  The uber ride there was like $25 bucks but the cab ride back was around $50 and the cab was truly filthy inside.

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 1:54:22 PM UTC-5, Marek wrote:

Diddo Greg Moon. That guy is so dialed in down there. Very impressive guide and a fun guy to hang with.

Jeffrey Silvan

Mar 1, 2017, 9:35:59 AM3/1/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Caleb, good point about getting back to the city. The flip side is if you're staying downtown, parking will be $40/night at the hotels. Sure is a heck of a lot more convenient to have a car though, plus it lets you more easily access some of the other REALLY cool areas of the city.

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Caleb <cbs...@smcm.edu> wrote:
I also agree with that recommendation.  Fished with Rocky Thickstun in January, and while I failed to link with a redfish, it couldn't be blamed on the guide.  He put me on plenty of good fish.  You might consider renting a car if staying in the city.  When I met him at Penny's Cafe, I easily got an uber from the city but getting one back was another story.  The uber ride there was like $25 bucks but the cab ride back was around $50 and the cab was truly filthy inside.

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 1:54:22 PM UTC-5, Marek wrote:

Diddo Greg Moon. That guy is so dialed in down there. Very impressive guide and a fun guy to hang with.

Simms, Caleb

Mar 1, 2017, 9:40:33 AM3/1/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The street car is also an incredibly cheap and entertaining way to move around the city.  I think a 24hr pass is $2, might be as much as $4.
There is also supposed to be fantastic carp fishing right in the city if you have time to give it a shot.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Art Friedlander

Mar 1, 2017, 10:18:55 AM3/1/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for the info.  Very helpful.

Mar 1, 2017, 11:17:27 AM3/1/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Can you tell me any more about the carp fishing or where I can find out about it?

Mar 1, 2017, 12:09:29 PM3/1/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I dont know much. I believe they fish for them in the canals.  I heard about it from my guide while fishing for redfish.  I'm sure any local fly shop or guide could send you in the right direction.

From: "Simms, Caleb" <cbs...@smcm.edu>

http://www.tpfr.org

Art Friedlander

Mar 9, 2017, 12:53:39 PM3/9/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to your advice I am now set up with Greg Moon for 2 days of fishing first week of June.
Am now looking to see if anyone might be interested in sharing the cost of the trip with me.
If so, just let me know.

Art