Belize Trip

jamie.charles1

Jun 26, 2015, 4:06:57 PM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

I know this might be too general of a question but I need to start somewhere. I am planning a trip (honeymoon) to Belize and I have been granted one day to do a guided fishing trip. I was wondering if any of you that have been can recommend either location / guide / resort. I have never done this type of fly fishing, as I stick to trout along the east coast streams and rivers but I can't travel to Belize and not try to at least get a permit or bonefish. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Message has been deleted

Steve J

Jun 26, 2015, 7:12:05 PM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You may want to contact Capt. Duber Winters at the Woodbridge Orvis store. I know he's been there and guided a few himself. Come to think about it, he just got back June 18th from his most recent trip. At least he'd be somebody I'd start with. Just a thought.

-Steve

Jeffrey Silvan

Jun 27, 2015, 5:26:17 PM6/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I can't speak to a good outfit down there, but if you've never done sight fishing on the flats, I'd recommend taking a few days on the C&O canal around locks 7-8 and sight fish for carp. It'll be awesome practice that will pay dividends later.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Aaron O

Jun 27, 2015, 10:54:51 PM6/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jeff, it's all about the c&o and carp when it comes to you. We get it. You REALLY know how to catch carp! So stop rubbing it in. Ok. 😜. Sorry we could not get out today but you probably would have poached my carp from right under me anyway.

TurbineBlade

Jun 28, 2015, 6:24:19 AM6/28/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Or redfish on a huge tidal marsh -- same thing:  wind, long leaders, big flies, and the need for quick, accurate casts to moving fish.

If you're like me, your first attempt will be pretty miserable....but then you'll be that much more determined to learn it.  I'm glad no one other than Beth was watching my first attempt at a tailing redfish down in NC......

The "bros" over at gink and gas have one too I think.  I like Chris Myers videos quite a bity, but I learned in the side-elbow style....so go figure ;).

Gene

Andy Thomas

Jun 29, 2015, 4:35:16 PM6/29/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Check out El Pescador Lodge.  Some friends of ours went to Belize back in December on their honeymoon.  They did not stay at the lodge but they did do a fishing trip through there.  It's also the lodge where the fishing series Buccaneers and Bones was filmed.  The prices are not outrageous though.

Andy Thomas

Jun 29, 2015, 5:00:30 PM6/29/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Also check out the Belize River Lodge.  It was on an episode of Seasons on the Fly recently.

Matthew Longley

Jun 29, 2015, 9:00:18 PM6/29/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I did a week at El Pepcador last summer, I can't recommend it enough. Caught a bunch of bones, had shots at bonefish and tarpon (can't ask for more than that), and the guide made my cast about 100 times better. Not sure what a single day would look like, I guess just be really clear what you want to go for, as we covered a ton of water depending what we were chasing that day.

jamie.charles1

Jun 30, 2015, 8:53:17 AM6/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tips. I know I have heard of El Pepcador and Belize River Lodge from watching too many fishing shows.  Ill have to check it out.

Misha Gill

Jul 1, 2015, 8:04:58 AM7/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone been to Belize River Lodge? Particularly with a non-angler for company? My wife and I want to go to Belize in January, but it's supposed to be her big present for graduating from grad school, so we are looking for a primarily non-fishing lodge and clientele, but with the fishing option.

Andy Thomas

Jul 1, 2015, 10:09:53 AM7/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I think El Pescador might be your best bet.  Although they do cater to fisherman, they have 3 pools, restuarant and bar, beach area, snorkeling, diving, hiking excursions, etc.  You don't have to fish but you've got great guides if you want to.

Rob Snowhite

Jul 1, 2015, 10:11:29 AM7/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Wow I bought my wife lunch when she graduated from grad school.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Richard Farino

Jul 1, 2015, 10:34:59 AM7/1/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That's because as a consultant it’s easier to write off lunch than a trip to Belize.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

Jeffrey Silvan

Jul 1, 2015, 10:35:59 AM7/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
"Client entertainment"

Richard Farino

Jul 1, 2015, 10:38:35 AM7/1/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
“Audit"

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

TurbineBlade

Jul 1, 2015, 10:55:16 AM7/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey, let's hear it for these guys!  They're alright!

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Yambag Nelson

Jul 1, 2015, 12:51:28 PM7/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have never been to belize but I have been researching a variety of saltwater destinations for a trip next spring.  El Pescador definitely seems like it would fit your bill.  Turneffe flats looks sweet as well and seems like they have the pool/other activities thing as well.  If I can get them to take me as a single angler that is where I think I will go.

Casey Peltier

Jul 1, 2015, 1:49:54 PM7/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
turneff flats is wonderful if you snorkel or dive or fish. first class destination for all three. otherwise, never mind. .

Carl Z.

Jul 10, 2015, 9:02:48 AM7/10/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Casey,
Great to know.  Dive/fish is exactly what I need.  I did a Dive trip to North Andros 20 years ago, but I don't think the fishing is good up at that end of the island (I wasn't a rabid fly fisherman back then).

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org