November fishing

Aden Tracy

Sep 29, 2019, 2:28:16 PM9/29/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If you could fly for free where would you go from the end of October or the first of November?  Pyrenees in Spain? Northern New Mexico? Guam?

Sean Steele

Sep 29, 2019, 2:29:18 PM9/29/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Belize!

Sep 30, 2019, 8:14:17 AM9/30/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Tierra del feugo sea run brown trout

Yambag Nelson

Sep 30, 2019, 10:51:29 AM9/30/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Not much to fish for in Tierra del Fuego that time of year. Most of the lodges dont begin operating until late December/early January.

If cost wasn’t an issue I’d pick the Seychelles. Belize is a great choice for a fraction of the cost.

Trent Jones

Oct 1, 2019, 2:39:35 PM10/1/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hmmmmmm.

I would look at Seoul, South Korea for Cherry Trout and Korean BBQ/OB or Hokkaido, Japan for Char, et al, and sushi/Kirin . You would be catching the tail end of the season for fish in both places.

Also, I have seen some monster Tigerfish being caught on the upper Zambezi River the last couple weeks. Maybe not a trip you want to try pull off last minute but you could if you start ASAP. If you need info for the Zambezi let me know, I fished it 4 days last summer and still have a bunch of flies and 40lbs wire/swivels you can take.

-Trent

Or just fish where you are and not where you ain't….:)

Rob Snowhite

Oct 1, 2019, 5:57:40 PM10/1/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If someone else is flying and paying I'd head to Chile to that mothership fishing company. Fish a different spot each day, helicopters, boats, big meals, etc. Tasmania, New Zealand, and Dubai also interest me.

Rob Snowhite

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Aden

Oct 2, 2019, 7:14:56 AM10/2/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You guys are making this hard. The Pyrenees for zebra trout and Korea are my top 2 ideas so far. Thanks guys!

Jeffrey Silvan

Oct 2, 2019, 1:49:38 PM10/2/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Tough choice with the whole world at your disposal. I'd pick something bucket-list like that I haven't fished for before. These wouldn't be my choices if cost was no option, but are things I've done and would recommend to others specifically for that time of the year:

Amazon rainforest for peacock bass - peak season (at least in the area I went) is end of September to end of November.

Louisiana Redfish (although not very exotic) - When this weather is good, it's unbelievable. September through November is the season you can find big schooling redfish (and often jacks as well). I have been in schools of 1,000 plus fish over 20 lbs (and I'm not exaggerating) that are happy to eat. I've had multiple days of 25+ fish over 20 lbs. You'll get so tired that you stop casting to 95% of the fish you see, and only look for the 35+lb fish. I've also been in the run-and-gun situations where you look for the birds, then find the school of 20-30 jacks 40 lbs plus busting the surface, with some gigantic redfish mixed in. Note, though, that weather can be really tough there this time of the year. I'm not sure if it's just my poor luck, or general conditions for that time of year, but I have an average being able to get out under 50% of the days I book over the last 8 years of trips.

Northeast for Bluefin Tuna: this is a very tough one for the fly rod and you won't be able to bank on fly fishing at all (no luck for me yet), but hitting Nova Scotia to Cape Cod toward the mid- to end of October can be out of this world. This area will have phenomenal bluefin fishing on conventional gear, and if you have a 15 weight fly rod and get the right situation, you'll probably quit fly fishing after you hook a 500+lb tuna.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 7:14 AM Aden <aden...@gmail.com> wrote:
You guys are making this hard. The Pyrenees for zebra trout and Korea are my top 2 ideas so far. Thanks guys!

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Trent Jones

Oct 10, 2019, 12:22:04 PM10/10/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm jealous! Give us a trip report if you end up making it happen.

-Trent