Ballistic Pro Fly Lines

Owen Williams

Jan 12, 2021, 2:35:28 PM1/12/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Before I pull the trigger and order it, could Carl, Tom, or another CI confirm that this is the long-belly fly line that's recommended for FFI Casting Challenges and CI prep?

Many thanks, and see everyone next month!

Best,
Owen

rplx...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2021, 12:48:45 AM1/14/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Owen-
That's the one! If you would like, I will bring both the 6wt and 7wt line to the next casting church for you to try before you place your order.

Nice work at the FFI Casting Challenge!
-Tom

Owen Williams

Jan 14, 2021, 7:31:43 AM1/14/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks, Tom. Great teaching makes all the difference!

I think I'll go ahead and get it--that hi-viz orange will help me see my loops as I work to tighten them.

Best,
Owen

Phil Watt

Jan 14, 2021, 9:01:39 AM1/14/21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

I noticed that line comes in 4wt - 7wt.  When you take the actual CI Test, is there a specific weight rod they make you use?  Or do they adjust the test based on if you are using a 4wt vs a 7wt?

Thanks,

Phil

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Dalton Terrell

Jan 14, 2021, 11:26:46 AM1/14/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Phil,

The test is online and available to review--I think it probably matches up well to the tasks on the FFI casting challenge: https://flyfishersinternational.org/Portals/0/Documents/Casting/Certification Tests/CI_Test_2015_Final.pdf

It's dictated that you use a maximum line of a 7 wt (probably further defined by AFFTA standards elsewhere)--but I suppose you could use a 6 wt or whatever rod you want. Most people would find that that the 7 wt line matched to a 7 wt rod is the easiest to way to hit the distance targets, and the extra mass can help overcome wind if that's a issue.

I think I used an orange Scientific Anglers 7wt line for my test, but this new Ballistic line looks quite good in theory as an all around or instruction line. The longer belly is good for carrying loops farther and mending while casting if you get into this. I don't think the testers would like my clear line. ;)

Dalton

Phil Watt

Jan 14, 2021, 12:40:37 PM1/14/21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Super helpful!

Thanks Dalton.

Tom Parham

Jan 14, 2021, 4:13:51 PM1/14/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Phil-
Dalton is correct. You can use up to a 7wt for the CI test. While you can accomplish the CI with a lighter weight rod/line, make it easy on yourself and use a 7wt. They want you to show smooth, relaxed demonstation casts with nice loops, not your typical fishing casts. On a windy day, it will be easier with a 7wt.

I saw some folks use chartreuse flylines for the test and it worked fine. However, I believe the orange line is easier to see for the folks giving the test, even in bright sun. If they can't see your line during a cast, they will ask you to do it again. Just make it easier for everyone and use an orange line.

The ballistic line has a long head with the rear taper ending at 55'. It is a good line that is especially nice for the roll casting, hauling and distance casting parts of the test. Regan also used that line when he took his test. He was the one who recommended the line to me.

As I mentioned earlier, I will bring both the 6wt and 7wt orange ballistic lines to the next casting church, in case you want to try them out.

-Tom
Super helpful!

Thanks Dalton.

Carl Z.

Jan 17, 2021, 10:59:49 AM1/17/21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Owen,
While you don't need a special line for doing the challenge (all the events are in the normal casting range of a standard DT or WF line), the ballistic line is  one of the lines we were talking about. I am also looking into buying that line, It is both easy to see and has a long head (look at the line diagram).
Similar lines:

Ballistic Pro Performance
Bario GT125 or GT90 (out of stock)
Scientific Anglers Mastery Expert Distance (competition model comes in orange)
Rio Technical Trout
Wulf Long Belly line

All of these lines have a longer head.  The reason we were talking about the Balistic is the color.  It is much easier to see (SA also is nice and bright and the Bario is almost as good).

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Owen Williams

Jan 17, 2021, 12:15:01 PM1/17/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for this, Carl!

I went with the Ballistic Pro Performance in the 6 wt to match my rod. They filled the order and got it in the mail in a couple of hours!

Best,
Owen