double hand rods in Potomac

Yang Chang

May 25, 2017, 8:49:54 PM5/25/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I need some suggestions on DH hand rod selection for fishing in Potomac. I have a 7wt 13'6" spey rod and I am looking for a shorter one as backup or for small river, mainly Potomac river and once a year salmon river or surf. I read some articles that people recommended 8 wt 11 ft for salmon river, but it may be too heavy for Potomac. If you use a switch rod fishing Potomac, what wt and length would you use? Is 7 wt 11'6" switch a good choice? Thanks for your advice!

BTW, I am selling my Sage TCX 7126-4 spey rod. Let me know if you are interested.

Best,

Yang

arthur...@gmail.com

May 25, 2017, 9:37:06 PM5/25/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I use an 11ft 7wt switch quite a bit for smallies on the Potomac. It's also a perfect Great Lakes Steelhead rod. I grew up on the Lake Erie tribs and that was my go to DH rod. It's on the lighter for the salmon, but would work.

I'm sure other members will have some opinions as well. Right before this thread will Undoubtedly turn into a space for people to engage in arguments regarding whether or not a DH rod serves any  purpose at all.

Cheers,

Art

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Yang Chang

May 25, 2017, 9:44:29 PM5/25/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Art,

I forgot to mention that I also want this rod to cover steelhead in Erie tribs. I have been there twice with my 7 wt single hand.

Is 7 wt switch roughly equivalence to 9 wt single hand?

Thanks for your reply!

Yang

On May 25, 2017, at 8:49 PM, Yang Chang <yang...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I need some suggestions on DH hand rod selection for fishing in Potomac. I have a 7wt 13'6" spey rod and I am looking for a shorter one as backup or for small river, mainly Potomac river and once a year salmon river or surf. I read some articles that people recommended 8 wt 11 ft for salmon river, but it may be too heavy for Potomac. If you use a switch rod fishing Potomac, what wt and length would you use? Is 7 wt 11'6" switch a good choice? Thanks for your advice!

BTW, I am selling my Sage TCX 7126-4 spey rod. Let me know if you are interested.

Best,

Yang

--
http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Yambag Nelson

arthur...@gmail.com

May 25, 2017, 10:40:22 PM5/25/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yang,

I think the 11ft 7wt is the best all round switch for Erie Steelhead. I would not say it's equivalent to a 9wt, it's just a different animal all together. I like it for smallies on the Potomac because I can throw a skagit head on it and chuck some heavy flies and light sink tips. It's an amazing shad/striped bass rod for the Rapahanock.

I will not bore you with any esoteric Great Lakes steelhead commentary regarding fishing for salmon and steelhead with DH rods on the Erie tribs , as you will find no shortage of this on the net.

If you do decide to fish for the salmon the 7wt is a little light, but you can certainly land them. In most cases they are 80% dead when you hook them and much of their flesh has rotted away from their bodies. They usually just pull hard but are rather easy to land.

Art

Sent from my iPhone

arthur...@gmail.com

May 25, 2017, 10:41:37 PM5/25/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yams idea about the longer 6 Is a good option as well!

Sent from my iPhone

Yang Chang

May 26, 2017, 7:51:03 AM5/26/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Art:

How about the Sage One 7wt 11'6"? it is 6" longer than regular 11ft 7wt.

What line setup do you use for potomac, Erie steelhead, and salmon river on your 7 wt 11ft?

Thanks!

Yang

On May 25, 2017, at 10:10 PM, Yambag Nelson <northstreetwreckingcrew@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Rob Snowhite

May 26, 2017, 8:09:50 AM5/26/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm a fan of the 11' switch rods. I use an Orvis 8wt and a 6wt TFO deer creek. I like the Rio Outbound short for around here. You can overhand the entire line out in with one false cast or two hand and bomb out a roll.

Sent from my iPhone

arthur...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 10:54:21 AM5/26/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That sage one is just as good as any rod out there, but for the Erie tribs I really like that 11 footer. The PA tribs do not warrant more than a 40 ft cast and often have low hanging trees in your d loop. The 11 footer is better in single had applications as well.

If your only swinging or stripping flies  I like an SA third cost Skagit or Rio skagit short with a 10ft section of T8 or 10ft poly leader.

For indicators use the orvis 8 or 9 wt nymph line.

Art

Sent from my iPhone

Yang Chang

May 26, 2017, 12:41:23 PM5/26/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
7wt 11ft is good for both potomac and Erie, and on the light side for salmon river.

7wt 11ft 6 in is too long for Erie.

8wt is good for salmon river but too heavy for potomac and Erie trib

So seems like 7wt 11ft is the best option?

When will orvis have a big sale on helios 2 :-)

--
http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

arthur...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 1:19:56 PM5/26/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ya I think if I had to pick,  7 11 is definitely the way to go!

If your fishing anything longer you might as well go full spey. But it's just my opinion. Other may have some good points as well.

Art

Sent from my iPhone

Yang Chang

May 26, 2017, 2:12:30 PM5/26/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
What rod do u use or prefer in Salmon river?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Yambag Nelson

May 26, 2017, 2:44:45 PM5/26/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I don't think 11'6 is too long for the Erie tribs, especially if you are fishing somewhere like the Catt.

I use an 11 ft 8wt on the salmon. But there are guys using 14 foot rods there. I use a rage compact head with polyleaders for almost all of my great lakes tribs fishing with the exception of the lower Niagara where I use skagit heads and t-14 for the most part.

arthur...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 2:49:17 PM5/26/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
For steelhead I like a 7 11 switch or 13 7 spey.

I don't fish for salmon , but if I did I'd take an 11 8 switch rod

Art

Sent from my iPhone

arthur...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 3:54:18 PM5/26/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Yep those rivers and mabey one or two to the west I would agree. In fact if I'm just swinging I use a 13 7 with a skagit setup. But for versatility and single hand casting I like the 11 footer.

I would suggest going to a flyshop and putting some different rods in your hand. Give them the ol wiggle test

Art

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 26, 2017, at 2:44 PM, Yambag Nelson <northstreet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't think 11'6 is too long for the Erie tribs, especially if you are fishing somewhere like the Catt.
>
> I use an 11 ft 8wt on the salmon. But there are guys using 14 foot rods there. I use a rage compact head with polyleaders for almost all of my great lakes tribs fishing with the exception of the lower Niagara where I use skagit heads and t-14 for the most part.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Art Friedlander

May 26, 2017, 8:29:25 PM5/26/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Two more cents.
I've been using a 12 1/2 foot 6 weight old Sage Graphite IV for many years for steelhead and on the Potomac.  Perfect for me, mainly casting overhead.

Another Art

Yep those rivers and mabey one or two to the west I would agree. In fact if I'm just swinging I use a 13 7 with a skagit setup. But for versatility and single hand casting I like the 11 footer.

I would suggest going to a flyshop and putting some different rods in your hand. Give them the ol wiggle test

Art

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 26, 2017, at 2:44 PM, Yambag Nelson <northstreet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't think 11'6 is too long for the Erie tribs, especially if you are fishing somewhere like the Catt.
>
> I use an 11 ft 8wt on the salmon. But there are guys using 14 foot rods there.  I use a rage compact head with polyleaders for almost all of my great lakes tribs fishing with the exception of the lower Niagara where I use skagit heads and t-14 for the most part.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Yang Chang

May 27, 2017, 2:52:37 PM5/27/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all for your kindly help! I will look for a 7wt 11' or 11'6" switch rod.

I have only fished Walnut creek in Erie twice in the fall and want to explore more steelhead tribs in both spring and fall. Can you give me some general information about what season and which trib to look for steelhead? Thanks again!

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 3:54 PM

Yep those rivers and mabey one or two to the west I would agree. In fact if I'm just swinging I use a 13 7 with a skagit setup. But for versatility and single hand casting I like the 11 footer.

I would suggest going to a flyshop and putting some different rods in your hand. Give them the ol wiggle test

Art

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 26, 2017, at 2:44 PM, Yambag Nelson <northstreetwreckingcrew@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't think 11'6 is too long for the Erie tribs, especially if you are fishing somewhere like the Catt.
>
> I use an 11 ft 8wt on the salmon. But there are guys using 14 foot rods there.  I use a rage compact head with polyleaders for almost all of my great lakes tribs fishing with the exception of the lower Niagara where I use skagit heads and t-14 for the most part.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Yambag Nelson

May 27, 2017, 9:11:59 PM5/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have mostly fished in new York. Pretty much any stream that flows into lake Erie gets fish. I realize that is not that helpful, but those streams have gotten destroyed by the internet...

I have always found steelhead fishing to be most enjoyable from September through November but December can be good as well. There are fish around through April though.

Richard Farino

May 27, 2017, 9:28:13 PM5/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If you’ve only fished Walnut Creek in Erie, and you STILL want to fish for steelhead, you’re a better man than I.  If that was my only steel heading experience in Erie I’d never go back.

That said, I used to fish nothing but a 9’ 6 or 7-weight with a floating line in Erie tribs.  I could still cast a marabou streamer pattern and swing, but I wouldn’t need the longer length rod because I was casting overhead.

One year I wound up buying a Sage 7110-4 Z-Axis Switch.  I loaded it with a 350 Skagit body, and bought interchangeable tips.  Now I have a floating tip for bouncing egg patterns on smaller rivers, and I usually use a type 3 or type 5 tip on bigger rivers for swinging those same marabou spey patterns.  I also use it on the NB Potomac.

My next purchase will be a 4wt Winston Microspey.  I used it on the NB and it was a lot of fun.

So as Art mentioned, an 11’ 7-weight is spot on.

Disclaimer – I don’t use it on the Potomac.  Swinging flies is a waste of my time on this river, in my opinion.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAN%2BxSX%3DbpWGAv0gttdE7Kbv5LaTXZW0OjuPL%3DCivsNxOSzKssg%40mail.gmail.com.

Yang Chang

Yang Chang

Richard Farino

May 27, 2017, 10:48:04 PM5/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Walnut is a zoo.  Try Elk, or 20 mile, or head into Ohio or the NY Erie tribs.

When we’re open, I’ll do a steelhead primer in the shop around September.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAN%2BxSXkthO-pGt0o-O4OSvwfTSCAW-xY-ROaQMzfA8iPy4wjHQ%40mail.gmail.com.

arthur...@gmail.com

May 28, 2017, 10:54:12 AM5/28/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If your looking for spots purchase the Steelhead Guide by John Nagy.

It's very informative and is considered the best literature on Erie Steelhead.

Art

Sent from my iPhone

Yang Chang

arthur...@gmail.com

May 28, 2017, 11:59:36 AM5/28/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice that book describes the run times in great detail by stream. It also gives you so excellent suggestions on we're to park and fish.

I spent most of my life fishing for steelhead in the Great Lakes. It's one of the easiest fish to fool and they fight like crazy!!

Expect to see other anglers around. it's just that type of fishing environment. I'm alway laughing when people complain about pressure on steelhead streams. It's just like the shad run here, it's to be expected. Just embrace and have fun !

Be friendly and strike up conversation with with them. People are very quick to share there knowledge if your friendly.

Art

Sent from my iPhone
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAN%2BxSXneqe8q%2B2_dpAg0u2a1wXkLkinvC7_S5nE6-e6o-CmDaQ%40mail.gmail.com.