Left Handed Fly Tyers

Eric Farquharson

Dec 8, 2022, 7:08:54 PM12/8/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I am left handed and looking to get into fly tying.  For the fly tying south paws out there, do you find it necessary to use a vise for a lefty?

I am looking at the Renzetti traveler and see it comes in a LH and RH.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Eric

Carl Z.

Dec 8, 2022, 7:38:23 PM12/8/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I would avoid spending renzetti dollars until you have been tying for a while.  I would get a vice that has the lever at the back of the head.

Pop by  a fly shop or the beer tie and try a vise out.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Cary Pugh

Dec 9, 2022, 9:40:40 AM12/9/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I am a lefty tyer and agree with Carl that some vices have levers on the side which can get in the way.  I like the traveler although I use another vice now for home tying (FNF).    I compensated for years (I started tying well before YouTube and taught myself from books) and am sure you also could manage but it is nice to have a vice that does not have a lever that gets in the way.

Lane Thurgood

Dec 20, 2022, 11:54:43 AM12/20/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I am a lefty and I love the traveler and have used it for probably 20 years. I actually use the right hand version and it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I was told it was best to use the RH version to keep the knob out of the way.
Message has been deleted

Thomas

Feb 22, 2023, 10:18:23 AM2/22/23
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Sorry, Eric - I've updated the instructions on mirroring YouTube videos so now it will work.
How to mirror YouTube videos for Left-handed Fly Tyers.pptx