Brook Trout within an hour of DC in VA.

Scott B.

Jul 18, 2015, 11:24:02 PM7/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
GOPR3896.JPG
GOPR3799.JPG
GOPR3801.JPG
GOPR3873.JPG

tperkins

Jul 20, 2015, 2:46:43 PM7/20/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That is awesome! Well done.

Forrest Allen

Jul 21, 2015, 8:07:11 AM7/21/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice! Tasty blackberries too. But within one hour? How fast were you driving...?

Care to send a PM about location?

Miles

Jul 21, 2015, 9:10:30 AM7/21/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
This helps answers a question I'd be meaning to ask.

I saw this map (attached) in TU's 'State of the Trout', with that little patch of brookie current range SW of DC.

From looking at it on Google Maps, it has to be the Quantico area. Googling 'quantico brook trout' shows some hits for the Chopawamsic, which apparently is stocked below Breckenridge Reservoir (second map, from VA DGIF's stocking GIS).

Do you need a permit from the Marines? How does a civilian get one?

MDT
brooktrout.tiff
chopawamsic.tiff

Bryan Lanier

Jul 21, 2015, 9:52:17 AM7/21/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Went on line and found the info. Need VA DGIF License and trout license (if fishing the streams) and the base pass which is $10/year or $2/5 days.

Here are two links:

I assume a civilian can get on base to get to the exchange. Anybody here ever tried?

Bryan

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bryan Lanier

Jul 21, 2015, 10:11:58 AM7/21/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It wasn't clear to me that Quantico gave access to cicilians who don't work on the base.

I did talk to the lady at the gun counter at the exchange and civilians can get on base and purchase the license at the gun/fishing counter at the exchange.

Here's the link to the regulations which also has a map:

Steven Butler

Jul 21, 2015, 10:12:47 AM7/21/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm still trying to figure out legal access to the stream in Leesburg that supposedly has wild trout. Listed as Big Spring Branch on the VDGIF interactive map. Actually e-mailed VDGIF and they said there is no public access to it.
leesburg.png

thanl...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2015, 9:44:55 AM7/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I spent a couple of hours  2 years ago driving around that area looking for access -no luck. Besides the lack of access the stream is so small it looks like it could dry up in hot spells and all the sections I could see had been lined with concrete, just like a drainage ditch - not too promising.

thanl...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2015, 9:50:53 AM7/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Has anyone fished Wildcat Hollow in Faquier County? VDGIF just added it this year to the Trout Program as Catch and Release waters. It is a small stream near I-66, inside the Thompson Wildlife Management Area (if you go you might want to wear some orange because it seems that it is hunting season there for some sort of critter almost year round). I know that TU's Trout in the Classroom program uses the stream to release fish but I've not heard of anyone catching anything, for is it clear whether or not VDGIF stocks it. Just wondering if anyone has had experience there...

Bob Bishop

Jul 22, 2015, 11:39:56 AM7/22/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The spring creek that flows under highway 15 just north of Leesburg has had a lot of restoration work done on the upper stretch, a project half-dozen or so years ago of the NOVA chapter of TU.  The work was sponsored by the land owner who lived in the large home adjacent to the vineyard and was supported by the state in the interest of preserving the habitat for the wild rainbows that apparently have been there many years.  TU members had limited access to this upper area in exchange for the work, but the person who negotiated this for TU died a couple of years ago and  the agreement ended.  I have also heard that the landowner sold and has moved.

While I personally never fished it, I did help many times with the restoration work and saw fish.  Others who fished it reported that the stream yielded rainbows in the 12-inch range.

 Sent from my iPad.

<leesburg.png>

Jones

Jul 22, 2015, 6:22:47 PM7/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Trout were discovered in Big Spring when VDOT was planning road work on Route 15 and had to perform an environmental impact study. NOVA TU had an agreement years ago with the landowner that granted members access to Big Spring in return for work done to stabilize and enhance the stream. The agreement had rules such as limits to how many could fish at a time and where you could park. Check their website or contact them to see if they still have access.