Sup/paddleboard

otmastiff

May 20, 2013, 7:15:42 AM5/20/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've seen several sups on the Potomac, even one near fletchers cove with a guy flyfishing. Curious if any of you have fished from a sup and what your feedback is? How did that guy at fletchers anchor his sup?

Matthew Longley

May 20, 2013, 11:01:03 AM5/20/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It's fun, but you have to be ready to get wet.  Really good chance of taking a swim.  I've only done it one, but I layed the rod along the board between my feet while paddling, then switched the paddle and rod and cast from my knees.  Wasn't comfortable casting while standing up, but I was also in the ocean, so a bit more current there.

It was a blast, but canoe or kayak is much more practical.

Vic Velasco

May 20, 2013, 9:01:53 PM5/20/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I use a modified milk crate that is bungee'd to the front of my board.  I used a poly cutting board as a backing board so I could screw in the rod holders and the yakattack base attachments (so I can use RAM or Scotty rod holders - my fly rod holder is in the middle of the crate).

If I am bringing my kids to go fishing, I'll use my tandem kayak (I can put both my 10 YO and 7 YO kids in the front, I paddle from the back - Jackson Kayak Big Tuna).  But if I am going by myself, I'll take the SUP - way easier to strap down on the truck and more user friendly when carrying to the water.

The best part of the SUP is the visibility you get - you can see the fish way out since you are standing, not sitting.  You can paddle in, drift the last bit (super silently) and cast your fly out in front of the fish you are tracking.  If you balance is iffy, you can drop to your knees at this point - then the cool part really happens - the fish will drag you around.  You can use lighter tippet since you and the board add to the drag.

I've mainly fished in protected saltwater with my SUP.  With a properly secured basket, you can even surf back in to shore.

Once you get your balance down, the SUP is tons of fun!

On Monday, May 20, 2013 7:15:42 AM UTC-4, otmastiff wrote:
P1070307.JPG
P1070309.JPG

Chris S

May 20, 2013, 10:29:39 PM5/20/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That is me you've been seeing at Fletchers. I like the sup over a kayak for a number of reasons. First, it is the perfect casting platform. I basically have 6x3 feet of unobstructed casting deck in front me, so I rarely get my line tangled as there is nothing to get caught on. Second, the sup gives you more paddling options to stay comfortable. I can stand up, kneel, sit or lay prone and paddle. A kayak or canoe are more restricting as far as your body position goes as you are basically stuck with sitting down and paddling. Stand up paddling as another person mentioned also gives you excellent visibility from an elevated position enabling greater sight casting options. I anchor mine by using a small ball anchor and tie it off on one of the cleats at the back of my board.

On the down side a sup is very hard to operate as a fishing vessel in windy or rough conditions. In those conditions I would much prefer to be in a kayak. All in all I think a sup is more fun as long as you are fishing flat water in light winds.

Chris

otmastiff

May 21, 2013, 10:50:16 AM5/21/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I pulled the trigger on a bote hd. Interestingly, I was in between that it te Jackson big tuna so that I could take my kids , they are younger though. Ill have to get the big tuna next!

Vic Velasco

May 21, 2013, 8:01:27 PM5/21/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Would you guys want to do a meet up and fish off the paddleboards?

Chris S

May 21, 2013, 8:12:05 PM5/21/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vic,

I am up for it. Let me know what you have in mind.

Cheers,

Chris

Howard A

May 21, 2013, 9:49:48 PM5/21/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'll meet up with you guys sometime, it'd be good to see some other SUP setups.

Howard

Longley

May 21, 2013, 9:52:06 PM5/21/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Haha I'll join and just stand in my canoe...

Sent from my mobile device

On May 21, 2013, at 9:49 PM, Howard A <howard_a...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'll meet up with you guys sometime, it'd be good to see some other SUP setups.
>
> Howard
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Bryan Lanier

otmastiff

May 21, 2013, 10:17:19 PM5/21/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yes I would meet up.

Vic Velasco

May 22, 2013, 6:54:39 AM5/22/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
High tide this weekend (I think at the Airport) is around 9 am.  The weather is supposed to be clear.  Is a Saturday early morning meet up at Fletcher's good with the group?

Not sure where everyone would be driving in from, but a couple of alternates could be Riverbend Park or Beaverdam Reservoir (carp city and no one has to worry about current).

Weigh in with your preference (Sat or Sun, Fletcher's/Riverbend/Beaverdam)

Bryan Lanier

May 22, 2013, 8:13:05 AM5/22/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
This being Memorial Day weekend I've got a lot of family stuff to do. But I would definitely be up for the following weekend.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

otmastiff

May 22, 2013, 9:32:30 AM5/22/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yeah we are out of town this weekend but the following looks good.

namfos

May 22, 2013, 11:55:20 AM5/22/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Saw about a half dozen up at Widewater on Sunday morning - none were fishing though.

Mark
supsatwidewater.jpg

Chris S

May 22, 2013, 12:54:20 PM5/22/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I can do early Saturday morning at Fletcher's or next weekend.

Chris S

May 22, 2013, 12:55:11 PM5/22/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I can do early Saturday morning at Fletcher's.  Attached are some recent catches from there.

Vic Velasco

May 22, 2013, 9:16:33 PM5/22/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Chris -

I can meet at Fletcher's early Saturday morning.  Is 6 or 7 (or 8) better for you?

Do you launch from the South part of the lower parking lot?

Everybody else -

Post up towards the end of next week to get another outting lined up.

Vic

Vic Velasco

May 22, 2013, 9:52:04 PM5/22/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Actually - we should check to see what this rain does to the water levels...  50% tonight, 80% rain tomorrow, tapering off a bit (20%) on Friday.

Stay tuned???

Chris S

May 23, 2013, 9:49:28 AM5/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vic,

Given high tide is around 9am we should get there around 6am to fish the incoming tide.  I usually put in at the very end of the car park.  The Southern end I think.    You can actually drive down to within about 20 feet of the river from there.

I will watch the water level but it looks good as of this morning.  Remember that we will need to wear PFD's in that section of the river.

So lets plan for 6am Saturday morning unless conditions change.

Rob Snowhite

May 23, 2013, 9:55:28 AM5/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I might stop by to watch the sup flotilla. Water is expected to get up near 5' at little falls. brkm2_hg.png

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Chris S

May 24, 2013, 11:19:23 AM5/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vic,

It looks like the winds will be too high at 22mph for SUP fly fishing tomorrow so we will need to cancel.  Let's try and set something up for next weekend.

Regards,

Chris
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+un

Vic Velasco

May 24, 2013, 11:25:13 AM5/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I agree - I'll keep the morning of next Saturday open.

Vic

Bryan Lanier

May 24, 2013, 11:55:40 AM5/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I'm in for next Saturday.

Bryan

otmastiff

May 24, 2013, 4:00:46 PM5/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I am in for next Saturday as well. I live in Alexandria and can get just about anywhere.

Howard A

May 24, 2013, 4:54:03 PM5/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I can do next saturday, perhaps a SMB trip.

Vic Velasco

May 24, 2013, 10:11:43 PM5/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Check it out lubber's!!!  My pimped out ride -
P1070327.JPG
P1070328.JPG
P1070329.JPG

otmastiff

May 26, 2013, 6:02:37 PM5/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Cool!

Vic Velasco

May 29, 2013, 9:17:11 PM5/29/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Saturday morning at 6 am is the middle of a draining tide (3.2 just before 3 am going down to 0.3 by 1000).  Light winds from the SSW (to 7mph) are currently forecasted.  It'll get warm by early afternoon, but for the early risers, it should be nice.

Are you guys still up for a SUP fishing session at Fletcher's?  Meet at 6 am at the south end of the lower parking lot.  Don't forget your pfds, water to stay hydrated, and an anchor to keep you in position.

Vic

Bryan Lanier

May 29, 2013, 9:31:31 PM5/29/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I'm in. See you at six. Gray dodge pickup.  Blue kayak. Will probably have to carry in down from the upper lot.

Bryan

--
http://www.tpfr.org

otmastiff

May 30, 2013, 9:10:05 AM5/30/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I should be good to go...i don';t have an anchor yet...any tips on the best system would be appreciated.  I am guessing just a couple of pounds, but how much line would I need out at Fletechers?

Vic Velasco

May 30, 2013, 9:41:59 PM5/30/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Does your board have any connection points or tiedown spots?

If yes, here's what I use -

Paracord from your hardware store of choice - $3
Dumbell from your store of choice - $5-10 (I use a 5 pounder)
Hose clamps - $2 each
An old carabiner

You can also use a length of chain duct taped up (to prevent the chain from catching on the bottom or in between rocks), a brick, or a rock with a hole in it to tie on your anchor line.  Use a bowline for this connection (google "bowline" - hole-rabbit-up from the hole, around the tree, back down the hole).

For the board side connection, you'll need to run a section of line across your board's front section.  When you drop anchor, tie off the anchor line on the line that you strung across (quick release knot that has a standing loop so it can shift as needed).  The technical scope (ratio of line out to water depth) is 7:1.  But you really don't need that much - pay out what you think you need and then tie off.  Using another carabiner and tying a quick overhand loop on your anchor line offers a quick adjustment/securing method.

You can also just tie it off from the bow or stern (most boards come with a leash plug in the tail - make a loop from paracord and tie off on that loop).

Mostly personal preference - but try out whatever you plan on using - you need to be able to take it off quick if the current changes and you start getting swamped.

You can also go to your local boating supply shop and get an anchor there, but I like the DIY methods.

Vic
P1070419.JPG

otmastiff

May 30, 2013, 9:58:01 PM5/30/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
nice...thanks!

Chris S

May 31, 2013, 8:56:37 AM5/31/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm in too but will only be able to fish for a couple of hours. See you all at 6am at Fletcher's tomorrow.

Howard A

May 31, 2013, 10:27:00 AM5/31/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for tomorrow morning.

jesse justice

May 31, 2013, 10:56:48 AM5/31/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'll be bringing my inflatayak.  See you there!