Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Greggory DiSalvo

ongelezen,
25 apr 2016, 16:05:4925-04-2016
aan Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi all,
I've been a lurker here for a while and am wildly impressed by the vast base of knowledge in this community.  I have been planning on taking my dad out into the Shenandoah for an overnight brookie trip sometime late spring.  He has a questionable knee and doesn't really hike much.  I took a recon trip with a few friends a few weeks back to Big Run hoping to take him there.  I really liked it and the hike in was more than reasonable, but with the fire situation, I am not sure if the stream/environment will be in good shape later this spring (So sad).  I've spent a good amount of time taking day trip trouthikes to many of the different streams in the park but am looking for something a little more remote so we can leave tents/packs unattended without worry.

Would love it if some of ya'll had a few suggestions!  I am thinking it would just be a one night trip where we hike in Saturday morning, find a campsite, hit the water, and then fish a bit in the morning before heading out.

Thanks in advance,

Gregg

Danny Barrett

ongelezen,
25 apr 2016, 16:51:3425-04-2016
aan tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Unsure of fire situation.  But the Rapidan has areas for camping, great fishing.  Some camp spots are very close to stream.  Only downside is it is a bit of a rough road.  I only trust it in a truck or SUV.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Andrew Sarcinello

ongelezen,
25 apr 2016, 22:24:5025-04-2016
aan Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Most of the Rocky Mountain Run drainage has burned and the fire is steadily creeping through the rest of the Big Run drainage. No telling if the trails in the burn area will open once the fire eventually dies out. They may close it to all activity to allow a natural recovery (pure speculation on my part but I think it would make sense)

Jeremy Dusina

ongelezen,
26 apr 2016, 09:42:0826-04-2016
aan Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I second the Rapidan recommendation. I went up there this past Sunday and it was great. No signs of fire. Water a little low, but there were plenty of eager fish. I also second the SUV recommendation.

Carl Z.

ongelezen,
26 apr 2016, 14:39:2326-04-2016
aan tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
How bad is the knee.  Even the Rapidan involves some rock scrambling, and on any given stream, the higher the gradient, the better the fishing, so the best fishing is in the roughest terrain.   However the fishing is good, which overcomes a lot.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Greggory DiSalvo

ongelezen,
26 apr 2016, 14:53:1526-04-2016
aan Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the input ya'll!  I have had Rapidan circled for a while, but was hesitant because of crowds.  My understanding is it is one you must fish, but because of that, it tends to get a lot of pressure.

Carl, His knee is not all that bad, ACL/MCL surgery a few years back, but he'd wear a brace.  He managed some quality scrambles that I'd compare to White Oak Canyon in NY last summer, but his knee was a tad sore at the end of the day. Im hoping I can find someplace where the hike out, after a long day of scrambling, is not all that tough on the joints.  This may not exist.  In terms of managing rock scrambles, I'm thinking with a wading pole  and slow approach, he should be fine. The didymo does worry me though.  I broke a rod after slipping on some on the conway.

Gregg

Jeff Greendyk

ongelezen,
27 apr 2016, 06:50:0127-04-2016
aan Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Another option would be the upper Conway.  Your in the Rapidan Wildlife management area.  This borders the park.  If you have a truck or SUV you can park next to the stream at any one of the fire rings.
Jeff

TurbineBlade

ongelezen,
27 apr 2016, 08:07:1527-04-2016
aan Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Nothing to see here folks!  Both of those places are crowded, overfished, and you're likely to step through someone's streamside toilet waste near the camp rings.  That's only if you don't strip your oil pan out trying to get there.

As for skyline, it's fire and bears -- in that order.  The reason they revised their firearms policy is due to bear attacks (bears with fire).  You should carry at minimum a .44 mag to go anywhere out there -- https://www.nps.gov/shen/learn/management/lawsandpolicies.htm

Let me know if you need any more accurate information about fishing in the SNP.

Gene

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 6:50:01 AM UTC-4, Jeff Greendyk wrote:

Dalton Terrell

ongelezen,
27 apr 2016, 08:39:2827-04-2016
aan Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Gene,

Thanks for the link, I'd never read their WTF Policy.

But regarding the backpacking, it isn't really that necessary in Shenandoah with the park being long and skinny with top and bottom access, nothing is super remote. With that said, I take an annual backpacking trip out there to streams you won't see named here for the fun of it. Most places are open to back country camping in the park, check this link for off-limits locations, and pick just about any stream in the park. If you think your dad can handle coming up Big Run, he can handle about any of the trails out there.

Dalton

Greggory DiSalvo

ongelezen,
27 apr 2016, 10:04:1727-04-2016
aan Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Dalton, I made sure to try the southern hike in to Big Run which is pretty flat unlike the Northern hike down Big Run, but yes, I think he can handle wading most of the streams for sure.

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 4:05:49 PM UTC-4, Greggory DiSalvo wrote:

Ryan DiAndrea

ongelezen,
27 apr 2016, 10:15:3527-04-2016
aan tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Is it really that bad with the bears out there?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Greggory DiSalvo

ongelezen,
27 apr 2016, 10:19:4227-04-2016
aan Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
For what it's worth, I've spent probably 20-30 nights in the park hiking over the past few years and have only seen one bear.  I still hang a bag from a tree and many of these hikes were winter.  I may scare bears before I see them since I'm a pole hiker and tend to be with a few others talking.  I'd honestly like to see a few more...but from a distance!

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 4:05:49 PM UTC-4, Greggory DiSalvo wrote:

Greg Feder

ongelezen,
27 apr 2016, 10:46:2827-04-2016
aan tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Although not part of the WTF policy, perhaps the Alcohol Policy should be amended and appended to the WTF policy -- "In general, alcohol is permitted in Shenandoah National Park by those over 21 years of age....  Alcohol is prohibited in the Lower Rapidan area."   WTF?

Cheers (but not around a fire ring in the RWMA),

-- Greg