Fly rod combo

Roman Gulakowski

Jun 26, 2015, 8:34:02 AM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was looking to get a new Fly rod combo. I have my grandfather's old 8 wt Fenwick and wanted a nice 5wt. I was looking to spend around $350 and was hoping to get some ideas as to good quality combos.

Danny Barrett

Jun 26, 2015, 8:43:38 AM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
My first rod was a clear water 5 wt.  Great warranty on it, not 100% sure the price but it should be in that window.  9 years later it still is in use, just with an upgraded reel and line now.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Scott Stankus

Jun 26, 2015, 9:01:57 AM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I absolutely love my Orvis Frequent Flyer rod. I've got the 8-wt which I use for most of my fishing around here. It also comes in a 5-wt (in either 8'6" or 9') and a 6-wt (9'), though. It's 7 pieces which makes it super portable. Go cast it ans see what you think.

And you're in luck - the combo is currently on sale for $343!

--Scott

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Roman Gulakowski <romangu...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was looking to get a new Fly rod combo. I have my grandfather's old 8 wt Fenwick and wanted a nice 5wt. I was looking to spend around $350 and was hoping to get some ideas as to good quality combos.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Andrew LaVigne

Jun 26, 2015, 9:27:02 AM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
for a trout rig, don't spend heavy on the reel. Temple Fork Outfitters makes some nice-casting rods in the $250-$300 neighborhood - a buddy of mine just picked one of their BVK models to up to move up from a bass pro rig he started out with. Many other manufacturers have options in that range (or close to it) as well. As for reels,you can get a nice, functional trout reel for under $100, no problem. It's more important to spend on a good fly line in my opinion.

Kevin Huntington

Jun 26, 2015, 9:39:39 AM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Definitely check out TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters).  They have a line called the Finesse Series, think the 5 weight is around $175.  I have the 3 weight in that series, my brother-in-law has the 5 weight which I bought as a gift for him.  The rods are extremely well built including all hardware, come with a lifetime warranty, have a pretty slick dark green color to them, and have an awesome medium-fast action that won't be too far off of your old Fenwick.  There are plenty of reels in the $125-$150 range - check out Lamson, the Orvis Access is in that range and is a great reel, Pflueger also makes a pretty tight old style reel which is about $100 and works great.  The only downside to the TFO rods is that they don't come with a rod tube, so build in another $30 into the price and get yourself a sturdy tube.

Gimme a shout if you want to take my 3 weight for a test run, always makes spending some dough easier when you know what you're getting.  Happy hunting!

Andy Thomas

Jun 26, 2015, 10:17:35 AM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Orvis always has good combos.  In that price range the clearwater would work great.  You don't need an expensive reel for trout.  Focus your money on the rod.  Another company I would highly recommend is Allen Fly Fishing out of Texas.  They make really quality rods and reels and you could get something for around $350-400.  They have excellent customer service as well if you have questions.  They just came out with some new rods as well.  I would recommend one of the Alluvian or heritage rods paired with their trout reel or the ats reel.

It's worth checking out even if you don't buy from them.

Yambag Nelson

Jun 26, 2015, 11:00:26 AM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Another vote for TFO rods.  I have the TICR in an 8 weight and it throws just as well as any of the more expensive rods I own.

Look into Echo as well.  I don't have any of their single hand rods, but I have one of their speys and it is a great rod for the price.  I assume their single handed rods are similar.  I have one of their reels and also like it alot.  I think I paid $75 for it.

The advice to not spend a ton on the real is a good one.  There is absolutely no need to spend $100 on a trout reel.  How many trout, particularly in this area are really going to run line on you?

Kevin Huntington

Jun 26, 2015, 11:26:19 AM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for a slight tangent here but I always wondered why people tend to spend more on a rod/ fly line than on a reel.  I'd certainly agree to a certain extent that a 1 or 2 weight reel for brookies or pan fish doesn't need a mondo drag system or silly pickup ratio, but I'd have to disagree that a 5 weight setup doesn't deserve a nice reel to go along with it.  I'm primarily a trout guy so I fish 3-6 weights almost exclusively and I would argue that having a good solid reel with a reliable drag system is huge.  If you fish any tippet smaller than 4x and hook an 18+ inch fish in any kind of decent flow, good luck trying to strip that fish in with your hands without snapping the tippet faster than you can say sh*t.  The rod, reel, drag system, and fly line all work together to protect the tippet and ultimately that trophy on the end of your line.  This is just my humble opinion, but when I hook up on a halfway decent fish I'm putting that bad boy on the reel as fast as humanly possible (extremely easy if you have a free-spooling reel).  It's nearly impossible to regulate tension appropriately and fast enough with your fingers.  If the fish runs at you and then away making the line lose slight tension then become taught too fast to react, the rod and reel work together to saddle the blow and protect the tippet.  If you have your finger clamped down on the fly line and there is no give like the reel provides, kiss that bitch goodbye.  I've broken off one too many piggies trying to regulate line and fight fish with my fingers.

If you ever go fish big water for big trout, most guys who do it frequently will watch you break off fish after fish and finally feel bad enough to ask "hey why'd you buy that reel if you don't plan on using it?" Needless to say hearing that enough times put my "a reel is a just a line holder" notion to bed.

Again this is just my humble opinion on an otherwise widely debated topic, but enough quasi-jedi mind trick trout magicians have beat me upside the head about it so figured I'd do them a solid and pass it on.

Anyone else of the same philosophy?  Feel like this could be a cool discussion.

Andy Thomas

Jun 26, 2015, 11:53:56 AM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I won't deny that putting a bigger trout on a reel can be helpful.  However, you don't need a $300 drag system for a trout, even if it is 20 inches.  The drag systems on many lesser priced reels, for instances the Allen Fly Fishing trout reel or ATS will work just fine, even for bigger trout.  That's all I'm saying.  If you've got the money and want to splurge for some beautiful, expensive trout reel, go for it.  There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not necessary.  Now, when it comes to salt or really big freshwater fish like salmon, peacock bass, etc, I recommend a more expensive reel with a better drag system.

Also, I will add, out west I've had guides that told me that "putting the fish on the reel" is just an eastern U.S. fly fishing thing.  They've told me that most folks out west don't worry about reeling in line to get the fish on the reel.  If the fish is big enough to use drag, he'll take your slack line anyway and put himself on the reel.
Message has been deleted

Yambag Nelson

Jun 26, 2015, 1:08:14 PM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It definitely seems to be more of an eastern thing. Part of it is probably because people out here aren't used to catching large trout and tend to overplay them when they do hook a nice fish.  I have never had problems breaking off large fish because i didn't put them on the reel.  I will say that one advantage of putting it on the real is to clear the line out of the way.  I have lost a couple of nice fish that I stripped in that got tangled up in my flyline.

Even on on the delaware which has the hottest fish east of the mississippi, I have never had a fish really run like a steelhead or bonefish might.  I do frequently put those fish on the real but you are unlikely to get those kind of fish in virginia.  Most of the fish here are smaller fish in smaller streams.

Piru Creek

Jun 26, 2015, 2:47:34 PM6/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Take a look at http://www.ferrissporting.com/ small independent manufacturer and if you like them on FB I think they are offering 30% off rods and reels.

Richard Farino

Jun 26, 2015, 3:27:36 PM6/26/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Go into your local flyshops and ask to demo rods or outfits that interest you.  Talk to shop clerks about what you’re looking for and they should be able to help you find exactly what you want in the budget you’re looking for.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

Roman Gulakowski

Jun 27, 2015, 7:45:47 PM6/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the offer. What advantage is 3wt over a 5wt?
Message has been deleted

Jeffrey Silvan

Jun 27, 2015, 8:25:12 PM6/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

The biggest difference I see is casting distance. On small streams, shouldn't matter. If you fish bigger water, you might find it really difficult to make some shots - particularly if it's windy, like Gene mentioned.

On Jun 27, 2015 7:57 PM, "TurbineBlade" <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think the main advantage (to me) is that most typical 3-weight rod/reel set ups are lighter than the usual 5-weights and a bit more pleasant to use when the conditions are right for it.  You can get a bit more delicacy with a lighter fly line touching the water, but this relies on your casting skill to a large degree.

The disadvantage is that if you use it on a windy day, onlookers will think you have never gone fly fishing in your life.

I have found no difference in the time taken to fight a fish with a 3-weight vs. a 5 or 6-weight, even larger fish...though you'll listen to legions of idiots who don't know how to fight fish using the rod butt tell you about "killing fish" (usually trout) with light rods.

Gene

On Saturday, June 27, 2015 at 7:45:47 PM UTC-4, Roman Gulakowski wrote:
Thanks for the offer. What advantage is 3wt over a 5wt?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

Jun 27, 2015, 8:48:44 PM6/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I actually deleted that post -- but yeah, that's pretty much my take on it.

I learned how to lean into fish years ago fishing bait for carp on spinning tackle.  Beth and I caught some massive fish doing that, and in Missouri I once accidentally snagged a small paddlefish (30-40 pounds) and landed it on the same tackle.

You should try light fly tackle and if you enjoy it, go for it --

Gene

On Saturday, June 27, 2015 at 8:25:12 PM UTC-4, Jeff Silvan wrote:

[...]

John Bilotta

Jun 28, 2015, 1:01:26 PM6/28/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Jeff and Gene, I think a 5 or 6 is more useful and easier to toss larger streamers.
John

TurbineBlade

Jun 28, 2015, 2:44:54 PM6/28/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
True -- I think I've wanted *more* when I've had less, than I've wanted *less* when I've had more in terms of fly line grain weight.

Of course you could get obnoxious with this if taken to extreme.....like "there's nothing my ford ranger can do that a dump truck can't do better!"

Gene

Carl Z.

Jun 29, 2015, 11:36:31 PM6/29/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm not a big 3-wt fan.  I have a few but I don't use them much,  they are fun for 3 reasons.

1) they bend more when you get a fish on, giving you more feeling, making a small bluegill feel like a big bass.
2) On spring creeks or other water where the fish are really skittish, you can get a more delicate presentation.  You can also do this with a long leader.  It's easier to turn over a 15 ft leader with a 5wt.
3) You can brag, "I caught a 20 inch rainbow on a 3wt"

A 3wt is a specialty rod, usually only for dry fly fishing  with occasion use of tiny streamers and sight fishing nymphs.  A 5wt is a general purpose rod.  Though I have preferences for even numbered rods.  I usually fish a 4,6, or 8wt.

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Tim Donaldson

Jul 1, 2015, 9:37:36 AM7/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Roman,

Most importantly, support your local fly shop. Urban Angler in Alexandria or Orvis in Clarendon both offer excellent low pressure advice.  These guys are in invaluable resource to all of us, and both shops can put you on a great setup with a good warranty in that price range.

I believe, as do many others, that for a general purpose trout/misc fish 5 weight you don't need to spend much.  And you can always upgrade down the line.  The cheap rods used to be garbage, but nowadays they get the job done.  Put your extra $$ towards a second fly line...if you only have a floating line you're restricting your ability to get down to where the fish are.

TurbineBlade

Jul 1, 2015, 9:54:45 AM7/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Agreed -- Urban always treated me well, and many of the things they told me as a newbie I've found to be true over time.

About that old Fenwick 8-weight -- what model?  I've become a fan of the old glass rods recently.  Don't avoid using it because people consider it to be "old stuff".  Try it - you might like it.

I'm hunting for a FF 858 to throw the 1/0 poppers I hate casting, but the fish seem to enjoy.

Gene

namfos

Jul 2, 2015, 10:21:31 AM7/2/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Word I hear is that the yellow glass Eagle Claw fly rods are actually pretty durn good. I think there's an 8 wt - I believe Walmart sells 'em.

Mark
Message has been deleted

Matthew Longley

Jul 2, 2015, 7:31:29 PM7/2/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've lost way more fish trying to get them on the reel than I have from fighting them with the line in my hands, just saying. Nowadays, if a fish is getting on the reel, it's earning it.

Matt S.

Jul 8, 2015, 7:16:10 AM7/8/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
All of the above suggestions are sound. One other good (and local) option is Fly Fishing Benefactors (Google will find it for you). Carl Craig, who lives in Alexandria, runs it and has great prices on quality gear. I have 3 excellent rods from him, most recently a zippy 9ft 5wt. They were all under $200, cast great, came with a nice tube etc. FFB has stopped selling my favorite model, a 4 wt, but he also sells a variety of TFO rods, and his website allows you to put assemble a package with everything you need (including a rod case, which does not come with DFO including a rod case, which does not come with TFOs) again for a song. His reels are particularly nice. He's not a big company, but stands by his warranties.

Carl Z.

Jul 10, 2015, 8:30:09 AM7/10/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gene,
Drop me a note,  I'm thinning my Fenwick Collection.

There are some great used ebay combo bargains out there if you are willing to live with a 2pc rod.  Many are rods that were never used or used once and forgotten about.  The old Orvis starter combo's and some of the old LL Bean starter combos are great rods with decent reels.  The only problem with ebay is that unless you know something about the rods ahead of time, your taking a shot in the dark and there is always the chance the rod has some problems.  The other problem with buying on ebay is that you might start collecting rods.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

John Bilotta

Jul 10, 2015, 8:31:26 AM7/10/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Carl,
Collecting rods is not a problem.
John

namfos

Jul 10, 2015, 8:37:48 AM7/10/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You've noticed that too, Carl?

Mark

Carl Z.

Jul 10, 2015, 8:41:40 AM7/10/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Collecting rods is a problem when the number of inbound rods is greater than the number of outbound rods. .... when you run out of space.

--
http://www.tpfr.org