new to Fly Fishing the Tidal Basin

Zachary Manning

Mar 25, 2015, 1:24:19 PM3/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I guess I've been on autopilot because I just realized I'm a 5 min walk from work to the Tidal basin.
Watched a lot of videos (Rob Snowhite) in particular and have been reading what I can, but
it's a but overwhelming as a newbie to know what to start throwing out there.
Do folks generally just walk around the basin and cast away? Closure minnow and wooly bugger
seem to be the bugs I hear referenced the most.

I'm not picky, I just like catching fish and being outside and casting is half the fun.

Andy Thomas

Mar 25, 2015, 1:33:28 PM3/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zjU6o0iQ8GTk.ki1PQ37QbOPk

That should get you started.  Good place for info is also the Fletcher's Cove website.  There are also bream, bass, and carp at different spots on the C&O from Georgetown all the way up to lock 8 or so.

Gravelly Park right above DCA and 4 mile run below DCA usually have fish as well, depending on the tide.

Scott Stankus

Mar 25, 2015, 1:36:46 PM3/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You've got it! When it starts getting warmer, you'll see lots of bluegill and bass hanging around in the shade under the trees along the banks. Walk around the Basin, cast along the walls. Throw some casts out toward the middle. Vary how long you let your fly sink and the speed of your retrieve. Also, it's typically best (for fishing and for casting - fewer people around) in the early morning.

You'll see Snakeheads and Gar surfacing near the Ohio St. bridge, but good luck catching them!

You can catch a ton of different species in there! Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Bluegill, Catfish, Carp, Longenose Gar, Snakeheads, Striped Bass, Shad, Black Crappie, White Perch, Yellow Perch...

Good luck! And let us know how you do!

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Casey Peltier

Mar 25, 2015, 1:40:55 PM3/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
and for heaven's sake don't forget that Cherry Blossom season will shortly be upon us. There will be more people than you can imagine walking on the path around the tidal basin at all hours of the day and night. Why more of them don't fall in is one of the mysteries of the ages...

better to go up to the canal for a couple of weeks...

From: ssta...@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:36:14 -0400
Subject: Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} new to Fly Fishing the Tidal Basin
To: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Andrew LaVigne

Mar 25, 2015, 2:22:42 PM3/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Watch for high-water events in the next 6-8 weeks - it's lots of fun when the fish come up in the grass in April or May. Also, try working the bank out on the River side of the Ohio drive bridge. Ton of debris in the water, some really nasty, but you'll find smallmouth bass along the seawalls on on some of the grass beds.

namfos

Mar 26, 2015, 1:30:05 PM3/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'll second Casey: better to lose flies on the back cast to the trees and shrubbery than out-of-towners. ;-)

Mark

Rob Snowhite

Mar 26, 2015, 1:51:24 PM3/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I picked up an Orvis Recon bass rod specifically for Tidal Basin fishing. Last season I found a 1/32oz jig fly with a 5" San Juan dropped behind it worked best. Fished super slow off the bottom. Take a listen to my podcast on the Tidal Basin. There are few other places with fish that big with hot dog vendors nearby, clean bathrooms, and water fountains. It is truly a gem.

Rob Snowhite

Carl Z.

Mar 26, 2015, 7:45:05 PM3/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
And prepare for the questions "what are you catching?",  "There are fish in there?",  "Do you eat them?"  Having fun with the tourists can be rewarding in it's own right. :-)