DIY Stripping Guard

Connor Donovan

Jan 18, 2017, 8:55:26 AM1/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Before I buy these silly things, does anyone have a homemade, DIY solution?

TurbineBlade

Jan 18, 2017, 12:28:56 PM1/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hockey stick tape works okay, as does 2-3 band-aids.

Ashley Frohwein

Jan 18, 2017, 1:43:53 PM1/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Just spend the $7-10. I used to do the DIY version, but the actual ones generally work better. I like the ones made by Buff.  It's tough to keep tape and/or band-aids on your fingers for a full day

Rob Snowhite

Jan 18, 2017, 2:41:05 PM1/18/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Buff ones are good but get a stank to them ( no relation to Scott ).

Cotton hospital tape by 3m works for a few hours. It's my preferred one for clients during shad run. We'll use the fabrics ones but they get nasty real quick with the slimes.

Check out this homiefrom across the pond:
image1.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Scott Stankus

Jan 18, 2017, 3:04:15 PM1/18/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I know a thing or two about stank!

And I like the Buff ones also, but Rob is right. Wash them with soap and water after each use and let them dry. That will help.

But for all day use they work a lot better than tape/band aids/etc.

--Scott

Sent from my iPhone

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 8:55:26 AM UTC-5, Connor Donovan wrote:
Before I buy these silly things, does anyone have a homemade, DIY solution?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Ashley Frohwein

Connor Donovan

Jan 18, 2017, 5:09:03 PM1/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Sweet.  Thanks guys.

Richard Farino

Jan 18, 2017, 8:39:09 PM1/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Buff or Springbrook finger guards are the best because they slide off when you’re done, they stretch, and you can wash them.  You can also lose them.

If you want the disposable route, 2” Co-Flex or Vetrap.  It’s a flexible, self-adhesive veterinarian wrap for animals.  Think horse and dog angles.  Just 2 wraps around the finger and you’re done.

Best of all, it comes in pink, purple, teal, and lime green to match your Under Armour tech shirts and undies.

It’s about $6-7 a roll for about a 5 yard roll.

Cary Pugh

Jan 19, 2017, 7:11:33 AM1/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I use rolls of Coban tape - the one used by vets. It is easily available in drug stores also as it is great for medical stuff. In fact the Red Cross uses it for the gauze post blood donation. It sticks to itself not your skin. Comes in neutral or entertaining colors for hero shots. Usually can take a day of fishing and is easy to share with friends who failed to prepare. A roll will last a while. And you can apply to cover bandades that would never stay on those annoying knife and tooth and fish hook injuries. I also use something called stripee -- http://www.alpineproducts.com/p-111-stripee-fly-fishing-finger-guard.aspx -- which is a neoprene and felt two finger guard that is very easy to clean and also cleans your line a little. Made by the same folks who bring you those spudz lens cleaners. I don't go on any serious trip without them. I have found stripping gloves more of a nuisance and only wear if the sun or the cold requires I protect my hands or stop fishing entirely (which of course no one would do).

Ryan DiAndrea

Jan 19, 2017, 8:20:32 AM1/19/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I use the Buff ones. I agree with Ashley, just spend the money. They're worth it. To wash them i usually put them in a shirt pocket that has a button flap.  You can also put them in those "dedicates" bags if your wife/girlfriend has one.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 7:11 AM, Cary Pugh <cpu...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Carl Z.

Jan 19, 2017, 6:41:19 PM1/19/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Is there any reason not to use gloves?  Sun gloves or other gloves?

I'm just wondering what these things get you that a glove doesn't.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Ryan DiAndrea <ryan.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Greggory DiSalvo

Nedak

Jan 20, 2017, 2:45:31 PM1/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

I like to DIY.  Found an old left hand mechanics glove, cut it down and flipped it over.  Works great.

Nedak

Jan 20, 2017, 2:47:51 PM1/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
about $5 new from harbor freight.

Matthew Longley

Jan 21, 2017, 11:41:24 PM1/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Davala once told me he cuts up his daughter's Barbie's leggings, and I will continue to consider that the most economical and fashionable of options

Douglas R

Jan 22, 2017, 8:48:54 AM1/22/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Haha it's tough to top Barbie leggings, but I have found 3M Nextcare tape to be pretty good.  Also comes in handy for blisters when hiking.

Ryan DiAndrea