Any spots in historic Harpers Ferry?

Patrick Reilly

Jun 24, 2017, 4:20:17 PM6/24/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Last minute wedding has me in Harpers Ferry tonight. I'm staying right in the middle of the historic district, near the train station, at some old tymie B&B. I brought my rod because I may have a free hour tomorrow morning, but that's it. Any advice or suggestions for where to go if I can only get away for an hour? Thanks!
Cheers,
Patrick

vladimir polivanov

Jun 24, 2017, 5:21:56 PM6/24/17
to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders
Try the Needles ( a section of rapids ) just up stream from town. Get out there a first light, if you can

--
http://www.tpfr.org

vladimir polivanov

Morgan Cosgrove

namfos

Jun 27, 2017, 10:13:02 AM6/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If Point of Rocks Gage (https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=01638500)is 2.25 and dropping (or lower) wading should be pretty good. Still with all the ledges up there, you need to watch where you put your feet. Wading staff is a big help.

Mark

Patrick Reilly

Jun 27, 2017, 10:24:50 AM6/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for all the advice! Day after the wedding was a little rough, so didn't get a chance to make it out to fish. But did make it down to the river to check it out.  Stand by Morgan's assessment, it was fast and windy.

ALarge

Jun 27, 2017, 3:44:57 PM6/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

I fished Harper's Ferry on Sunday. Water was about a foot higher than I like, but still had success despite some sketchy wading and strong winds. Lots of 10-14" smallmouth. Fished with black poppers and clawdad patters, but the standard green and white clouser minnow was the ticket for the day.

There are literally countless spots for access around Harper's Ferry.  Steve Moore has written an excellent guide to attacking the upper Potomac on foot: Wade and Shoreline Fishing the Potomac River for Smallmouth Bass: Chain Bridge to Harpers Ferry, by Steve Moore
Using that book to find your access point, cross reference with satellite imagery from Google Maps and you'll see the spiderweb of possible runs to target.

The Needles is an excellent suggestion. Parking is limited, but there is an infinite amount of pocket water to explore and navigating into the middle of the river is fairly easy. As Steve Moore iterates and reiterates many times in his book, it is recommended to bring a wading staff and/or PFD- especially if you're wearing full waders.

A Large