Potential loss of access to the Potomac River through an historic venue at Fletcher's Cove

Mike

Dec 2, 2014, 7:03:07 AM12/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Easy access to one of America’s greatest river’s and an historic venue is threatened!

Over the year’s siltation from man-made development and the altering of the Potomac’s natural flow near its fall line has created a critical situation at Fletcher’s Cove.  This fall the walkway to the dock was deemed unsafe for use.  Access to the dock was shut down just before the 2014 season closed.  The potential does exist for permanent closure if the situation is not evaluated and resolved soon.   Many separate efforts are beginning or are currently underway to at least analysis the issue.  This post is to make many more of you, who utilized the resource, more aware of the issue and begin to rally around a worthwhile cause.  That cause would be to maintain access to a unique recreational resource through a venue which has endured so much for so many generations.  At least until now.  Please stay tuned.

TurbineBlade

Dec 2, 2014, 8:42:05 AM12/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Was it closed due to siltation or because someone missed the jump over that gap in the boards?

Gene

Yambag Nelson

Dec 2, 2014, 10:17:36 AM12/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Seems like it would be relatively easy to fix.

If it is an issue of funds, somewhat should start a fund me or whatever they are.  I would gladly donate...

Bob Smith

Dec 2, 2014, 1:16:48 PM12/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've been told by folks at Fletchers that the NPS will never dredge the cove. It is almost impassable at low tide now. It won't be much longer before it is impassable at high tide. Moving the dock further out in the cove (repaired or rebuilt walkway or not) leaves the dock vulnerable to floods.

Would a petition to save Fletcher's from being choked out of existence by silt (dredging) change the Govrnment's mind?

I don't see how else Fletcher's can survive.

Rob Snowhite

Dec 2, 2014, 1:37:24 PM12/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Is it true that a lot of the silt derived from illegal dumping during Metro tunnel digging and construction?

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Bob Smith

Dec 2, 2014, 3:06:40 PM12/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yup from what I was told

Bob Smith

Sent from my iPad
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/69ECC633-171C-44E3-9159-CEBFB4C167E8%40robsnowhite.com.

Terry C

Dec 2, 2014, 3:27:08 PM12/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Any possibly the an analysis of the mud would have toxins and then it could be declared a super fund clean up site.

namfos

Dec 3, 2014, 10:19:49 AM12/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you want that, Terry. How ironic is it to learn that much of the worst pollution and worst polluted sites are or were operated by governmental bodies or contractors directly overseen by governmental departments?

If Fletcher's Cove were to be declared a Superfund site it would probably then be declared off limits to all except those contracted to clean it up. Although that's probably determined by an evaluation of the site and what's to be done there. Plus there's the possibility that alleged toxins might be set loose into the rivers flow further distributing them far and wide. At the present time I don't believe EPA's concept can be called "the solution to pollution is dilution."

Mark

McFly

Dec 9, 2014, 6:20:16 PM12/9/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The only way your going to get any movement on this is have the club contact the media through 7on your side or the Washington Post and make a case for Metro to do the repairs, it may look like a few boards buy this repair isn't going to be cheap.

Sam Zimmerman

Dec 11, 2014, 7:21:53 PM12/11/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Metro has no independent source of funds - almost all of their revenue comes from either local taxpayers, the respective states or Uncle Sugar.  Let's pray the situation isn't complicated more by toxic waste.  SZ

Lane Smith

Dec 13, 2014, 10:09:11 AM12/13/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If the media were interested covering this story, who would be the best contact person for them to reach out to?

Rob Snowhite

Dec 13, 2014, 10:28:41 AM12/13/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Fox 5 went fishing with Dan and Trent at Fletcher's. Maybe they can get ahold of Annie Yu.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 13, 2014, at 10:09 AM, Lane Smith <jlane...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If the media were interested covering this story, who would be the best contact person for them to reach out to?
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Terry C

Dec 13, 2014, 5:34:44 PM12/13/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Washington post ran an article about Fletcher's on Friday .
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/ADBA59BB-06B0-4265-AC70-E932044784FF%40robsnowhite.com.

namfos

Dec 15, 2014, 9:14:40 AM12/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com