Bullsharks in the Potomac

Senor_denito

Aug 22, 2013, 9:50:27 AM8/22/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

HeaveToo

Aug 22, 2013, 9:58:30 AM8/22/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
This is not too uncommon.  A few years ago they caught two bullsharks by a place called Tall Timbers.  It is inside of the river by 15 miles or so from the mouth.  As a child I remember them shutting down the beaches at Westmoreland State Park because of shark sightings.  That is about 25 miles inside of the river from the mouth.

Bullsharks have a tolerance for fresh water.  They could and probably have swam all the way up to DC.

Jeffrey Silvan

Aug 22, 2013, 10:17:45 AM8/22/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The scariest part about the article is that is says a "safe distance" from a live shark is only a few inches once it is on the boat. If you ever have the opportunity to go shark fishing, or incidentally catch one and bring it on board, please DO NOT assume there is really ANY safe distance from a live shark. A thrashing shark - particularly aggressive species - is extraordinarily dangerous. Think of how much a bass can move around while flopping on the ground/deck. I have personally watched (from the tuna tower of a sportfisher) a Mako thrash around the deck and bite at anything it could get it's mouth around. We thought we had killed it already (kept it for meat, did not kill to be cruel), but 5 minutes later, it went crazy. It would've bit my buddy's leg had he not hid behind the metal ladder when the thing came back to life. That ladder still has bite marks on it.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

NixieDC

Aug 23, 2013, 8:37:01 AM8/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
What you guys are discussing here totally wigs me out. I've encountered bears and other predators on land, but something about being up close and personal with a shark totally gives me the willies.

Either PBS or Animal channel had something a few years ago about one or two sharks going up the Mississippi north of St. Louis, and attacking people here. Woo, wow...

Scott Stankus

Aug 23, 2013, 9:15:14 AM8/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm with you. More than once I've creeped myself out while wading in Roaches Run after dark. I know the chances are super slim, but I totally believe that there have been/are Bull Sharks in the river around DC.

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Michael Smith

Aug 23, 2013, 10:07:04 AM8/23/13
to TPFR
Very rarely when I'm fishing in my kayak and have my legs hanging over the edge of it I have a small bout of shark paranoia.  I take a couple of minutes to breathe and then I'm ok.  =)

Michael Smith, CISSP-ISSEP
ryb...@ryzhe.ath.cx @rybolov
http://www.guerilla-ciso.com

Sent from my Android-capable Internet-connected toaster.  Please ignore my Unix-like terseness

Aug 23, 2013, 4:53:31 PM8/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It's beavers that freak me out

Steve

Aug 25, 2013, 10:57:23 AM8/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I know the feeling is what I meant. Another TPFR member and I were diving once in the Caribbean and the water visibility was about 5 ft. I had the feeling there was danger around. That same afternoon, A guy got caught a 250 lb bull shark at the same exact location. Last year I had a run in with 2 beavers at Ft Belvoir. The water was pretty stained and they kept circling me and swimming up behind me within a few feet where I was wading. I got out of the water - they were getting too aggressive. I couldn't see them at all. At least with beaver, they warn you before taking a bite.

Danny Barrett

Aug 25, 2013, 4:22:35 PM8/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Their warning is terrifying.  Its not flyfishing, I apologize. But I was night cat fishing the Ohio a year or so back. and I was near a dam of theirs. it came right up near the bank and smashed the water. i about fell in.  I never saw him.

McFly

Aug 25, 2013, 5:22:42 PM8/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I fish Bushwood Wharf and Cobb Island area and I often times see small sharks and shark teeth on the shore, so having a shark follow a school of fish up river happens more than you may think. I was wading around Quades store and something big brushed up against my thigh and scratched my skin to the point that it was bleeding pretty good for awhile, it felt like sand paper but I could tell it was a fish because I could make out a tail and it smacked into my knee when I jumped back. The lady that runs the store said it was a shark and it was a good thing I got out of the water, now if I can;t catch it from shore or a boat I don;t catch em.

HeaveToo

Aug 28, 2013, 12:46:34 PM8/28/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
There is a 6 foot long bull shark hanging out around my marina in Monroe Bay.  That would be Colonial Beach, VA.  Several local water men have observed this shark in various spots in Monroe Bay.

Things are getting interesting.