Susquehanna Smallmouth

Nfranzetti

Aug 24, 2013, 3:10:04 PM8/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ended up floating the Susquehanna last night and today, camping along an island overnight. Highly recommend it. Many large fish including this one, my personal best smallie...
image.jpeg

Danny Barrett

Aug 25, 2013, 4:18:27 PM8/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Awesome fish.  Has anyone fished where the Sus hits the bay lately?  Trying to take one last trip of the summer and might be making a trip up there, but never fished that area. Smallies or large mouth?  Any advice would be helpful.
On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Nfranzetti <nfran...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ended up floating the Susquehanna last night and today, camping along an island overnight.  Highly recommend it. Many large fish including this one, my personal best smallie...

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Charlie Church

Aug 26, 2013, 10:27:13 AM8/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thats a beast!

Congrats

Misha Gill

Aug 26, 2013, 12:52:04 PM8/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice fish! The Susqy is a smallmouth factory this year. What'd you take him on?

Nick F - Gaucho Fly

Aug 26, 2013, 3:09:41 PM8/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. This one hit a #2 Olive CK Clawdad. Had my best luck bouncing them off the bottom on a dead drift on deeper slower water. Also did well during the evening on a blue popper. Lots of nice fish throughout the trip. Highly recommend a trip up that way...

Nick F - Gaucho Fly

Steve

Aug 26, 2013, 8:56:36 PM8/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a great trip. Nice fish. How was the camp site?

On Aug 24, 2013, at 3:10 PM, Nfranzetti <nfran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ended up floating the Susquehanna last night and today, camping along an island overnight. Highly recommend it. Many large fish including this one, my personal best smallie...
>
> Sent from my iPhone<image.jpeg>--
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.

Senor_denito

Aug 26, 2013, 10:34:00 PM8/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Very healthy bronze back you got there.  Never aimed at targeting smallies yet, I would like to go for them before the year's end.  Is there a "peak period" for them?  Have yet to fish the Susquehanna any advice for someone who doesn't have access to any kind of watercraft and is limited to waders?

Nick F - Gaucho Fly

Aug 27, 2013, 9:36:11 AM8/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Campsite was terrible. A rocky beach we found as the sun was setting. . We just winged it

Misha Gill

Aug 27, 2013, 4:07:29 PM8/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ah the good ol clawdad. Great fly, just gets a little tiresome to cast.

My advice to you, Senor Denito, is to not go if the water is over 3.5 ft at the Harrisburg guage. Really you want it right at 3.0 feet. When that's the case I've been able wade out across most of the river. Just be careful and go to the right spot. I suggest Dauphin. It would probably actually be safer to wet wade than to wear waders. If you go to Dauphin, the deepest spot will be right along the bank where you park. Once you get past that you shouldnt have any problems.

You could also go to the Seneca rapid on the Potomac.

There's not really a peak period, just as long as the fish havent moved to their wintering holes, which wont be till october sometime.

Steve

Aug 27, 2013, 6:41:41 PM8/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That's too bad. Hammock camping might be an option, one with an intergraded bug net and rainfly perhaps?

On Aug 27, 2013, at 9:36 AM, Nick F - Gaucho Fly <nfran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Campsite was terrible. A rocky beach we found as the sun was setting. . We just winged it
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Thevietfisher