Snakehead Tournament Participation Challenge - $ubsidies Available!!!!!!

Daniel Davala

Jun 26, 2013, 4:39:11 PM6/26/13
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Per the previous thread:  Snakehead Tournament

While we already have one TPFR team fishing the tournament, it is a goal of ours to encourage more fly fishing participation in this event and others like it.  To this end, TPFR will subsidize 1/2 of the registration fee for a second team of up to 6 anglers (up to $30 each or $180 total).  Registration details, tournament rules, and schedule can be found on the tournament site here:  http://potomacsnakehead.com

These subsidized spots are available on a first come, first served basis.  Please use this thread to coordinate who is available to fish the tournament together and to build a second team.  It really doesn't matter whether you know each other or not.  By the time you fish together for 18 hours you'll be old pals!  Boats and/or personal watercraft are encouraged but not required.  It would be cool to see several of the SUP crew that have been getting together lately on a team.

Due to the short time frame, registrants may have to pay the full $60 in advance, but I can repay the $30 at the kick-off event.  Looking forward to seeing another TPFR team emerge.  As far as I'm concerned, the more flies in the water all night, the better!

See you all there!

Dan Davala

samuel newcomer

Jun 26, 2013, 5:12:39 PM6/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I would love to lead the charge to get this second team up and running.
Message has been deleted

Sam Hauser

Jun 27, 2013, 9:41:59 AM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I am interested but it looks like the weather is going to be really bad for it... I would still do it anyway I think but I have not figured out a strategy for snakehead after heavy rain. All my catches have been sight casting and its looking like we will be facing mudtastic conditions. Samuel, do you have any experince catching them? Or an idea for a potential gameplan? You can email me directly if you want. sha...@gmu.edu

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Sam Hauser

Jun 27, 2013, 9:45:56 AM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

For the team already together, are you guys gonna fish smallwood or return to the va side for more familliar waters? (obviously I'm not asking you to give away your plan. just in general whether you are going to fish from the tournament site or go elsewhere)

Rob Snowhite

Jun 27, 2013, 10:23:40 AM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sam,

I plan to keep the boat around Needwood for the duration of the tourney. We'll see what happens as things progress. Just tied up a bunch of gar flies too as there were loads of them around the docks last year during the weigh in.

Rob Snowhite

Jun 27, 2013, 11:51:39 AM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I am interested,  and Sam, would love to bum a kayak, lest I be the poor soul out there in a float tube and headlamp.

samuel newcomer

Jun 27, 2013, 11:59:26 AM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
So between, myself, Sam, and Ben, looks like we have three guys?

Connor Donovan

Jun 27, 2013, 12:02:09 PM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
A buddy and I are 100% down to clown on some Northerns.  We both have one seater boats and would love to join up with you guys.

Is it too early to start picking a team name?

Connor

samuel newcomer

Jun 27, 2013, 12:05:02 PM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Conner, Ben, And Sam-
Shoot me an Email at samueln...@gmail.com and lets coordinate-

Sam Hauser

Jun 27, 2013, 1:26:20 PM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have no problem lending you my kayak Ben. It is an ocean kayak drifter angler if you are curious. i also have a spare pdf

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Sam Hauser

Jun 27, 2013, 1:26:39 PM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Pfd sorry

Sam Hauser

Jun 27, 2013, 1:33:38 PM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Also my personal email is slhauser911gmail.com if you guys want to email me directly

Sam Hauser

Jun 27, 2013, 2:58:11 PM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Actually im sorry ben I think Samuel took me up on the offer for the kayak first I just missed his message. but you are still welcome to the fishcat single man pontoon I have. or you guys can work it out I don't know... So far I have only really heard from Samuel in any detail. Hopefully once everyone gets off work we can all communicate somehow and figure this out

Ben Sacher

Jun 27, 2013, 10:24:18 PM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
realized I made a sunday morning commitment a couple months ago and the wife would kill me if I backed out. looks like a no go, unfortunately.
Pfd sorry

Bob Smith

Jul 1, 2013, 7:12:05 PM7/1/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
So? Did anybody catch any fly rod snakeheads? Did everyone come through safely? Was it a good time?

Cheers, Bob Smith

Scott Stankus

Jul 2, 2013, 10:03:07 AM7/2/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The good news: We all made it through safely and had a lot of fun.

The bad news: While we caught some fish, none were Snakeheads.

The details:

It was an auspicious beginning as all the "food" on the menu at the Mattawoman Restaurant was made by the Frito-Lay company. Everything else came in a bottle. They were cheap bottles, though! After tracking down more suitable sustenance, in the form of crab cakes, fried oysters, fries and mac & cheese, we made our way to Smallwood Park for the start of the tournament. Following the pre-tournament conference, fishing began at 6:30 on Saturday. With three of us in the boat and the other 2 in stealth mode via canoe, we hit the water. Fishier-looking water would be hard to find. We saw (and rowed through) more spatterdock and lily pads than you could believe. Some of the lily pads were as large as 18 inches.

Despite Dan's outstanding use of blue LED rope lights on his kayak, we decided that kayaks on the water at night was probably not the wisest idea, so they stowed the 'yaks for the overnight and three of us took to the boat. The other two had drawn the short straws and had to sleep - pity. Come first light, we reconvened and took up Saturday's configuration of 3 in the boat and 2 in kayaks.

We fished hard - top water, sub surface, noisy flies, baitfish patterns, you name it - Dan was even throwing a wine cork at them! And while we found several largemouth and one hungry catfish, we only had two confirmed sightings of Snakeheads taking interest in our offerings. Unfortunately, neither of those fish decided to eat.

Overall, we all had a lot of fun and learned a thing or two. I think the main thing that we learned is that you don't want to be fishing from your kayak in a cove when a boat full of bow hunters comes charging in!

The full results will be posted to the website soon, but I believe the winning team shot 14 fish for 106 lbs. I think the winning road and reel team landed 7 fish, but I could be wrong on that. In total, over 1,000 pounds of Snakeheads were weighed in.

Looking forward to next year's tournament already.

--Scott

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Bob Smith <plane...@aol.com> wrote:
So? Did anybody catch any fly rod snakeheads? Did everyone come through safely? Was it a good time?

Cheers, Bob Smith
--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Sam Hauser

Jul 2, 2013, 11:50:34 AM7/2/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

The second team had very simmilar results. I myself was able to turn two snakeheads but the bites never came. At least two of the others were also able to gain the interest of some snakes with no hookups. In the end I had about 9 or so bass two striper and three white perch. There were several more bass, a catfish and another striper or two from the other guys but alas no snakehead. I will definately try again next year though

Richard Farino

Jul 2, 2013, 6:47:33 PM7/2/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I fished with Grizzly’s brother Harry.  If we were in a bass tournament, we would’ve placed top 5, maybe top 3.

Same results as everyone else who threw the long rod – 0 snakehead landed on the fly.  We started fishing about 7pm downriver, managed a bunch of bass, and lost a few fish that were probably NSH.  We caught a few bass until about midnight, and we were just inundated with the bow fishermen going back and forth.  We called it quits about 1am.

We got back on the water at 5:15am and went up some creeks and ran into some TPFR’ers working the banks.  We continued way upstream and spooked a bunch of NSH, and caught more and more bass on topwater.

Once we saw it was 12:30pm and past weigh-in, we just decided to fish for fun for another hour+.  We found some big lily pads and kept seeing fish snake through them and threw frog patterns and wailed on the bass for awhile.

Total weight for the winners was about 140lbs of snakehead, all in about 1000lbs. were thrown on the scale.

I still consider it a learning experience.  Fly fishing for them isn’t easy.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA | 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313 | ric...@urbanangler.com

Jul 3, 2013, 2:45:51 PM7/3/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It is funny but when I fish for snakehead I never catch them.  When I am fishing for other things and not thinking of snakeheads I catch them.

My last snakehead came when I was fishing for anything that bites in the Occoquan.  They come into the back of the Occoquan in April and May and they sometimes bite a fly.

It also seems that the biggest Snakehead are caught in the spring.