Camping Near Mossy Creek?

Ryan Payne

Oct 24, 2013, 10:13:12 AM10/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm headed down to Mossy Creek next weekend with a fellow TPFR-er to chase some big browns.  Can anyone suggest a good place to camp nearby? We would like to be somewhere not too far away from Mossy.  As first timers to Mossy, we're planning to hire a guide, so we're looking to pinch pennies with our accommodations.

Thanks!
Ryan

Daniel Davala

Oct 24, 2013, 10:23:29 AM10/24/13
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The campground at Natural Chimney's is probably your closest option and has tent sites for less than $20 on weeknights.  http://www.co.augusta.va.us/Index.aspx?page=617

I believe the campground closes on October 31 though, so if you mean the weekend of 11/2 you'll have to look elsewhere.

Dan Davala

--
http://www.tpfr.org

grover

Oct 24, 2013, 12:03:32 PM10/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hone quarry campground isn't far away and it's $5 a night . It's off of 257 in the GW forest west of mossy. The good- it's right by a stocked stream, has a picnic table and fire pit, it's close to a reservoir where I've caught fish. The bad- no water just a pit toilet, no cell service(you could put that in good column). When I head out that way it's perfect for me. I'm just looking for a place to put up my tent and sleep after a long day of getting skunked on mossy. Forgot to mention it's really close to Beaver Creek so it's helps in getting one of the 4 passes.

- Mike

Ryan Payne

Oct 24, 2013, 1:19:21 PM10/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Looks like both would work great. We're going the week of Nov. 2nd, so we'll probably check out Hone Quarry this time.

Ryan

Rob Snowhite

Oct 24, 2013, 1:57:07 PM10/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
We used to camp in the gw forest for free back in the day. Head west from mossy and up into the hills. Plenty of pull offs.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

grover

Oct 24, 2013, 4:19:33 PM10/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Rob is right, there are places to pull off and camp on the side. The ones off of Hone Quarry rd. we're pretty beat up and $5 for a table and my truck not taking a beating seemed the better deal. I remember there were nicer ones that were easy to get to off that road that takes you to Todd Lake and North River Campground. Remember it's hunting season so it might be more crowded up there than you think.

Greg Feder

Oct 24, 2013, 4:31:30 PM10/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
And wear your blaze orange!