The C&O Canal needs your help - fish relocation October 8

Dalton Terrell

Sep 28, 2016, 3:17:19 PM9/28/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, Mcquaid, Dorothy
It's unfortunate, but the C&O Canal in Washington, DC is undergoing major fixes to Locks 3 & 4 over the next 18 months as part of a revitalization project in Georgetown. This will have a major impact on the fishing in the canal with the water being drained from Lock 5 down for this 18 month period. You can find more information on this project here: https://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/georgetownvisitorcenter.htm

Fortunately, the National Park Service has organized a fish relocation project to get the fish moved rather than being left out to dry. The event to move these fish is on Saturday, October 8, with a meeting point of Fletcher's Boat House at 9AM. Volunteers are needed to move the fish, and waders/nets will be needed (note that NPS has a limited supply). NPS also moved some fish last weekend, including the big catfish in the attached photo.

To volunteer, you need to fill out the attached volunteer waiver and show up at Fletcher's October 8. For any questions, contact Dorothy McQuaid at Dorothy...@nps.gov

We look forward to the improvements, but will have to suffer a season or two of missing out on our favorite mulberry hatch.

Dalton
fishrescue92416 (8).JPG
IndividualVolunteerAgreement FishRescue.docx

Jeffrey Silvan

Sep 28, 2016, 4:19:54 PM9/28/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Mcquaid, Dorothy
Thanks for passing this along, Dalton. It makes me sad every time I think about the lack of water for that long. That being said, I thought I saw someone's previous post that indicated much more of the canal would be drained. Hopefully I'm remembering wrong and we'll still have water (and fish) above 5.

Along the lines of no water, Lock 7-8 was depressing with how little water was there this past weekend.

Dalton

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Gary Fleeger

Oct 3, 2016, 8:37:27 AM10/3/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Where are they moving the fish? As noted in another post, several locations along the canal are already struggling for water. Hopefully this rain helped some.

TurbineBlade

Oct 3, 2016, 8:53:20 AM10/3/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You mean like, actual sections of the canal have suddenly animated and are complaining to joggers of thirst?

I'd almost go into D.C. for that!

Gene

Dalton Terrell

Oct 5, 2016, 8:16:34 AM10/5/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, Dorothy...@nps.gov
Just another reminder, this fish relocation event is this Saturday, October 8, starting at 9AM.

Gary, I presume the fish will just be carried over to the Potomac.

Dalton

tperkins

Oct 6, 2016, 1:35:46 PM10/6/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, Dorothy...@nps.gov
The draining for this weekend has begun :( just got back from a lunch run through the Georgetown section, saw 5-6 bass including one that was probably 12-13 inches and loads of bluegills. Didn't see any carp today, but I saw one earlier this week, so there will be lots of fish to move this weekend.

namfos

Oct 7, 2016, 10:41:40 AM10/7/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, Dorothy...@nps.gov
Sent 8:47 this morning:

Hi all,

(I'm sorry if you're receiving this and you didn't RSVP for tomorrow's fish rescue. I wanted to cast my net wide- pardon the pun- and make sure everyone was informed! If you were planning on bringing a group PLEASE make sure they are aware of this change!)

The fish rescue/relocation project scheduled for tomorrow, 10/8, has been cancelled/postponed.

The park's Resources and Maintenance divisions got together to discuss the canal water level and how much it would need to be lowered, and determined that while it will be drained for a contractor to look at one of the locks today or tomorrow, it will then be refilled and remain watered for a few more weeks. The refilling combined with the weather forecast for the weekend means the fish should have enough water and trying to pull them out might cause more harm to the ecosystem than good.

Thank you all so much for your willingness to volunteer, bring supplies, and your general enthusiasm for the health of the fish in the canal!! I will send a message to the same group of recipients to see if there is interest/availability when the event gets rescheduled.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and please forward this to your friends/family who expressed interest so they don't decide to come and then wonder where we are!

Miles

Oct 8, 2016, 10:47:42 AM10/8/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Thanks for posting! I really wanted to participate, but have a conflict. Maybe I'll get the chance when they reschedule.

Miles

Scott Stankus

Rob Snowhite

Oct 8, 2016, 4:57:08 PM10/8/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a falafel and canal fishing next week for this guy.

Sent from my iPhone