Holmes

FlyTymes

Nov 21, 2014, 5:56:22 PM11/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Fished Holmes Run today. Got out late, lost the sun and it got chilly, especilly sticking the hands in the drink. Fish were holding deep in the pools. 6-12 per, saw a few darting around the shallows. Passed a gentlemen swinging streamers, he said he had "no luck, but they were following". Well i may have cheatefd but i hung a nymph about 6 in under an oragne egg and it worked out well. Good portion of them turned on it and had 4 take. Fished from the downed tree by the pool up to the first crossing, 3 hrs.

Im not familiar with the area but through this website and the VDGIF I found my way to Holmes. Also stopping today at Orvis to increase my arsenal I was invited to your next "Beer Tie". First impression of this group is impressive.

Cheers. Safe Travels,

Bret

Daniel Davala

Nov 21, 2014, 10:07:38 PM11/21/14
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Way to go Bret!  Great report and welcome aboard!  Hope to see you at the next BEER TIE.

Dan Davala

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Ryan DiAndrea

Nov 22, 2014, 4:06:03 PM11/22/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Whats the best section of Holmes to fish?  Just below the Lake?

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 5:56 PM, FlyTymes <bha...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Message has been deleted

FlyTymes

Nov 22, 2014, 8:12:27 PM11/22/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
First Ill say I dont know the area all that well, but I have caught fish on Holmes Run the last two days. I park on north chambliss and walk up river a bit no waders needed. You can follow the path then make your way down to the pools. I have not made my way all the way up to the lake but I have crossed 5 of the crossings. I found the best fishing from where the community pool is up to the 2nd crossing. Walk along the bank and find the deep pools, spend some time looking for the fish, enjoy the view but if you dont see fish keep going.

I got out thismorning at 930 and a good portion of the pools I wanted to fish were iced over. FYI you will break off on the ice. For those of you laughing, Im still learning. I found fish hanging under the slabs of rock but they wouldnt take. I started to get action around 11 when the sun made it up and through the trees. They left the rock slabs and made their way to the center of the pools and would travel alittle more. I was told if at first you dont succeed "Tie tie again" and that I did. Silver beadheaded nymphs, small orange eggs and lighter colored dry flies w/ a split about 4' up all worked well. Streamers and top water stuff not so much.

 Accotink is next, anyone have pointers? Cheers!

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 4:06:03 PM UTC-5, Ryan D wrote:
[...]

TurbineBlade

Nov 22, 2014, 8:47:59 PM11/22/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Well done! - I live on Accotink and was unable to locate fish along the stocked section back closer to when it was stocked a little over a week ago.  I've fished the stocked trout several times in the last couple of years, usually in the spring.  I've found the fish fairly easy to locate, and not difficult to catch, but no luck this fall.  I've also caught stocked fish along Holmes, and enjoy the numerous sunfish further down, and then also the stocked trout by the Animal Shelter (Cook Lake), though I don't particularly recommend it.  Don't go above the head of the stream off Columbia Pike.  As I understand it's private access up there.  Overall, I've had the experience of catching a lot of fish one day, and then having absolutely no luck the very next day.  It's hit or miss, and is much more about finding the suckers than it is anything else....at least for the first few weeks -- in my experience.

If I hike a long ways without even seeing evidence of trout moving around (sometimes they'll not touch a thing but you can at least confirm the presence of fish), I find it pointless and just drive out to SNP, etc. instead.

On the flip-side, I am one of the only fly fisherman (I think) who enjoys fishing the numerous sunfish/chubs in the spring and summer and I can walk to it in about 3 minutes now.

If you decide to try it out, I hope you tear 'em up!  Most people park at Wakefield Park off of Braddock and walk behind the ball park to the trail -- you can't miss it if you just wander around for a while.  You'll come to a much smaller feeder creek at first, but just walk past that.  If you're out early (or at dusk), try to wear an orange (pumpkinhead) hat.

Gene

Ryan DiAndrea

Nov 24, 2014, 1:12:31 PM11/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
FlyTymes, thanks for the advice!

Ryan DiAndrea

Nov 29, 2014, 8:00:19 AM11/29/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Fished Holmes all morning yesterday with no luck.  Super frustrating.  I feel like I haven't caught a trout in forever.

jamie.charles1

Dec 17, 2014, 9:11:29 AM12/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I took off of work on Monday for my birthday and decided to head up the road to Holmes for a couple hours. Turned out to be a great time. Landed a 10-12 inch and three 3-4inch ones as well. I was using a tandem setup with a yellow egg pattern and a black wooly bugger about 6 inches below. Hope to be able to get a few more before the real winter hits.

ps. I tried to post this earlier so my apologies if this came in twice.
Holmesrun_Rainbow1.1.jpg
Holmesrun_Rainbow2.1.jpg

Ryan DiAndrea

Dec 17, 2014, 9:38:12 AM12/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ugh why am I having so much trouble catching fish there?  I'm definitely still a rookie but I can't believe how long this drought is.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Brendan

Ryan DiAndrea

Dec 17, 2014, 1:30:44 PM12/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Brendan,

Thanks for the advice. Forgive my rookie question but can you show me an example of what you mean by trimmed kreelex?

Danny Barrett

Dec 17, 2014, 1:41:12 PM12/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice Fish.  Even after winter hits don't be afraid to throw a line.  I've had great luck down on the Jackson and Back Creek in snow storms.  Just got to fish a little slower and deeper.
On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 9:11 AM, jamie.charles1 <jamie.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

TurbineBlade

Dec 17, 2014, 1:42:00 PM12/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It's either an economy-sized version of this:

Or an incredibly shiny, fairly obnoxious tinsel-looking minnow from those 2 dudes over at the cow creek.

Gene

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Brendan <brenda...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ryan DiAndrea

Dec 17, 2014, 1:53:11 PM12/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
ahhh ok I think I know what you mean. I stole a few streamers from a buddy of mine that would I would definitely call tinsel looking. Haven't had a chance to fish them yet. I'll give them a try next time I go out.

namfos

Dec 18, 2014, 8:41:00 AM12/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Weighted woolly buggers in snow storms. Excellent combo.

Mark

mbr...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2014, 9:52:22 AM12/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
My son and I fished Holmes yesterday for nearly two hours and didn't get any bites. Tried streamers, nymphs but no strikes. We walked to the dam and worked our way back. Ran into another fisherman who also wasn't catching anything. Fortunately it was lovely weather, sunny and high 50s, and we lucked into a restorative bowl of pho for lunch at Pho Factory in one of the shopping centers at Little River and 395. All in all a great day.

Jacob Denney

Oct 4, 2018, 7:43:31 PM10/4/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I parked at the pool and fished the section around there today in the late afternoon until dar. I tried to start slow and observe, because I am a newbie and need any help I can get.

First off, there was more trash than expected and some stretched of water just smelled foul. Despite that I saw large numbers of small fish, including bass (mostly 6-8 inches), a school of 50 of something of the 2 inch size (shad? any guesses?), a few small carp, and a ton of tiny bluegill. No trout seen.

I tried a copper nymph, and golden retriever, and a dry fly. Nothing got the bass interested, and everything I did scared off the carp. The bluegills were too small to take the hook, but went after the nymph and golden retriever.

Any suggestions? When does this get stocked with trout? I'll be at Monday's fly tie if you have any advise or stories!

ALarge

Oct 5, 2018, 10:38:56 AM10/5/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Jacob- Holmes Run hasn't been stocked this fall yet. Keep an eye on the VADGIF website for stocking updates: https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/trout-stocking-schedule/

VADGIF doesn't announce but a few stockings in the spring https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/trout/pre-announced-trout-stocking/

Unfortunately, the trash and stink are commonplace. You'll see the vertical green gas release vents throughout the stream valley. Best advice: stay upwind of those.

Good luck - Holmes Run is an easy local jaunt to get your "tug" fix. Most of the stockers are of the 8-10" range, but I've pulled on of VADGIF's "trophy" trout out of there, too. That was an exciting surprise.

GSFeder

Oct 5, 2018, 11:40:45 AM10/5/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I’ve seen emails from Nova TU about stocking Accotink— it may be happening this weekend.

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

tsta...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2018, 2:41:27 PM10/10/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
All,

I have received word from John Odenkirk of the VDGIF that the Fairfax county streams (Holmes Run and Accotink Creek) will be stocked in the middle of next week (Oct 15-19).

Best,

-Tom Stackhouse
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Lukas D

Oct 11, 2018, 12:16:01 PM10/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Does anyone know where they stock the fish in Holmes run? Do they stock it up by Barcroft dam or further downstream?

Thanks

Gregg DiSalvo

Oct 11, 2018, 12:27:46 PM10/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Years ago, I ran into the stocking truck.  They had stocked from the dam all the way down to
the Dowden Terrace Rec center.

westbrid...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2018, 7:22:31 PM10/12/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have stocked with them in the past.  The stock from the parking area below the dam about 1/2 to 3/4 mile down