Trout this time of the year.

Jeff Kuznecov

Dec 8, 2016, 10:34:07 AM12/8/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hello. I'm looking to go trout fishing and I was wondering how is the trout activity this time of the year? I would love to fish somewhere within the hour hour and a half drive from DC. Any suggestions on the spots?
Thanks.

Rob Snowhite

Dec 8, 2016, 11:10:11 AM12/8/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'll always suggest Big Hunting Creek in Thurmont. Easy access, loads of fish, fantastic scenery. Go big on streamers.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 9:32 AM, Jeff Kuznecov <ali...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello. I'm looking to go trout fishing and I was wondering how is the trout activity this time of the year? I would love to fish somewhere within the hour hour and a half drive from DC. Any suggestions on the spots?
> Thanks.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Jeff Kuznecov

Dec 8, 2016, 11:29:15 AM12/8/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks Rob,

I was thinking gunpowder or biever creek.
I'll definitely check out your spot.

Carl Smolka

Dec 8, 2016, 11:53:09 AM12/8/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, carl....@verizon.net
BHC is an excellent recommendation. Another year round alternative is Yellow Breeches in Boiling Springs, PA

Carl S

Ryan DiAndrea

Dec 8, 2016, 12:34:37 PM12/8/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Any particular stretch of BHC?  Just below the lake looks like it might be good.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Carl Smolka <carl....@verizon.net> wrote:
BHC is an excellent recommendation. Another year round alternative is Yellow Breeches in Boiling Springs, PA

Carl S

Carl Smolka

Dec 8, 2016, 1:06:10 PM12/8/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, carl....@verizon.net

I prefer to park at the Camp Peniel bridge and fish the high gradient water downstream of the bridge – nice pocket water.

Carl S

 Hello. I'm looking to go trout fishing and I was wondering how is the trout activity this time of the year?  I would love to fish somewhere within the hour hour and a half drive from DC. Any suggestions on the spots?
Thanks.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/c9182e17-ffbf-45d4-9a90-43495086276e%40googlegroups.com.

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Brian McGough

Jeff Kuznecov

Dec 8, 2016, 2:41:47 PM12/8/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for all the responses I think I'll try the Big Hunting Creek.

namfos

Dec 9, 2016, 8:33:00 AM12/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
When I lived in the Lehigh Valley, fishing Bushkill, Saucon, Monocacy, Little Lehigh, Martins Creek etc during snow storms could be very good. Always made the apres fishing hot beverage and wee dram taste that much better. Just be careful with felt soles on muddy/snowy/icy banks.

Mark

James Fletcher

Dec 9, 2016, 9:10:26 AM12/9/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Holmes Run near Annandale?

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Brian McGough <brian.kel...@gmail.com> wrote:
This may not be the most popular spot, but if you live in Northern Virginia it may work. I have been pulling quite a few trout out of Holmes Run lately. Its small, dirty, smelly and not full of trout but I have been pulling anywhere from 2-4 in the net each of the last 3 times I have been there.

Brian McGough

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Jeff Kuznecov <ali...@gmail.com> wrote:
 Hello. I'm looking to go trout fishing and I was wondering how is the trout activity this time of the year?  I would love to fish somewhere within the hour hour and a half drive from DC. Any suggestions on the spots?
Thanks.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

James Fletcher
Associate Political Strategist
The Lukens Company

Brian McGough

James Fletcher

Dec 9, 2016, 9:54:00 AM12/9/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Would've never guessed! Thanks for the tip - are nymphs or small streamers the key to success?

--
Brian McGough

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Brian McGough

Dec 9, 2016, 10:22:27 AM12/9/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nymphs have been working for me. Egg patterns and the dreaded mop fly have been the best bet. I would imagine streamers would work too, but I havent tried any yet.

I try not to take too many pictures since I like to keep them wet, but here is one from yesterday. Nice little size, hit on a midge that was trailing an egg pattern. That was one of 2 I netted yesterday. Had a few long distance releases as well.

Brian

Brian McGough

--
James Fletcher
Associate Political Strategist
The Lukens Company

--
http://www.tpfr.org
IMG_2362.JPG

Andy Thomas

Dec 9, 2016, 10:23:06 AM12/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm a Gunpowder fan...perhaps because I lived in Baltimore for a couple years.  It fishes well year round but obviously some days are better than others.  With the temperature droping, nymphing would be the ticket although you might find a few willing to chase a streamer.  However, it does appear that the water levels have returned to the lower winter levels (around 40 cfs) as opposed to the fall levels around 90 cfs.  Lower water levels just make the fishing tougher.

James Fletcher

Dec 9, 2016, 10:24:49 AM12/9/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
No way! This is awesome, especially since I live near Old Town.  I'll give it a shot tomorrow, then! Will you be out there?

best,

Brian McGough

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Ashley Frohwein

Greggory DiSalvo

Dec 9, 2016, 11:43:06 AM12/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Brian, it's good to see some fins on that trout!  Last year, I don't think I caught a single trout that hadn't had its pectoral fins chewed off.  Holmes is nice if it's cold and you don't feel like trudging the distance for wild/native trout!  Definitely check it out.

Gregg

Ryan D

Dec 13, 2016, 2:03:29 PM12/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, carl....@verizon.net
Is that in Catoctin Mountain Park?

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 1:06:10 PM UTC-5, carl.smolka wrote:

I prefer to park at the Camp Peniel bridge and fish the high gradient water downstream of the bridge – nice pocket water.

Carl S

BruceC2C

Dec 20, 2016, 9:30:28 PM12/20/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was thinking gunpowder or biever creek....

Important correction here....
NOT biever creek
BEAVER CREEK
call James
http://beavercreekflyshop.com/

Ashley Frohwein

Dec 21, 2016, 11:29:44 AM12/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You also may want to focus on tailwaters