Who's got an opinion about The River Why?

namfos

Mar 21, 2024, 11:19:46 AMMar 21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm hoping to enlist some assistance from the few, the proud, the literate among the members of TPFR:

Should I bother to read The River Why ?

It's the 1983 novel by David James Duncan.

Thanks,
Mark

Kevin KB

Mar 21, 2024, 11:33:44 AMMar 21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Mark,

I have not read it or any books by James Duncan.  But Amazon gives it a relatively high rating.  The book is available through the Fairfax library Libby App as either an E-Book or Audio book.

Hope this gives you an idea.

Kevin

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Rob Snowhite

Mar 21, 2024, 11:35:59 AMMar 21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It’s on my list to re read. I’ll enjoy it more the second time.  Its timeframe is timeless. It will read as a current and relevant book. Richie will say yes to reading it. Skip the movie.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 21, 2024, at 11:19 AM, namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:

Todd Ringler

Mar 21, 2024, 12:10:32 PMMar 21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
i read it a few months ago. yes. i would recommend. it left me feeling better about the world and fishing and people.

——————

On Mar 21, 2024, at 11:36, Rob Snowhite <r...@robsnowhite.com> wrote:

It’s on my list to re read. I’ll enjoy it more the second time.  Its timeframe is timeless. It will read as a current and relevant book. Richie will say yes to reading it. Skip the movie.

Greg Feder

Mar 21, 2024, 2:02:53 PMMar 21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Mark, I enjoyed it.

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 21, 2024, at 11:19 AM, namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:

Daniel Lazenby

Mar 21, 2024, 5:25:22 PMMar 21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I read it. Found it interesting enough to finish reading the book. Though it wasn't a real page-turner. It's not something I'd read a second time.

I'd borrow it from a library rather than purchase it.

Daniel

rfa...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2024, 5:30:31 PMMar 21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

As noted, yes to the book.  It is timeless, and is everything that you imagine a new fly fisher coming of age story should be.

Do NOT watch the movie.  I shut it off after 15 minutes.  Amber Heard did a lousy job portraying Eddie.

We have a copy here.

Catherine Peltier

Mar 21, 2024, 7:03:58 PMMar 21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yep, dreadful movie. And I can watch almost anything!

Casey Peltier

Tom Steeley

Mar 21, 2024, 7:30:35 PMMar 21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Amber was so hot in Never Back Down.

Trent Jones

Mar 21, 2024, 10:52:33 PMMar 21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Mark,

100% worth a read. Will probably make you reevaluate why you fly fish…in a good way. I decided to never watch the movie, because the book simply doesn’t need a movie adaptation. It’s set in the pacific NW, which I have visited once and yet the writing about the area Gus plies with his fly rod and general fishy acumen is vivid enough to paint a near perfect picture of area.

-Trent “leterate kinda TPfr contrbutar” Jones

namfos

Mar 22, 2024, 1:30:17 PMMar 22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thank you all for your thoughtful, considered opinions.

After reading about 40% of it (acc to my Kindle Paperwhite) in addition to this being my 3rd attempt, I've put it aside as just so much literate self-indulgence. It just didn't capture me, grab me, earn my enthusiastic engagement.  Joseph Heywood's The Snowfly, which I read a couple of months ago (for the second time), was a much better story.

Mark