Must Have for a Float Trip?

Daniel Page

Jun 19, 2023, 3:33:41 PM6/19/23
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm heading out west with some family this week for a float/fishing trip down a river near the Rockies. 60 miles, 4 days camping/floating/fishing.

I've never been out west to fish or on a float trip of that sort, for that matter.

I've got the essentials, waders, flies for the seasonal hatch, etc. But does anyone have recommendations for little things that aren't as obvious? Something you would recommend to be sure to have?

I've read plenty of articles but thought I'd see what the TPFR group would recommend that might be less obvious.

Thanks!

peter odell

Jun 20, 2023, 7:39:46 AM6/20/23
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
lip balm with sunscreen, something I forget all the time and have paid the price afterwards.

Doug Graebner

Jun 20, 2023, 7:59:08 AM6/20/23
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
ibuprofen, just generally useful to have.

Phil Watt

Jun 20, 2023, 8:01:02 AM6/20/23
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Unsure how old the family members are, but a little packet of Dramamine (kids version if needed) in the pocket can be a life saver.  Even though you’re not out in the Atlantic, 4 days floating on water can make some people squeamish.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Sean Steele

Jun 20, 2023, 8:05:39 AM6/20/23
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It takes a little coordination with your dermatologist, but the next time you’re in for a skin check, ask for samples of Impoyz cream (clobetasol propionate) — it’s a topical steroid that’s phenomenal to treat bug bites, rashes, flare ups, whatever. Total lifesaver.

-Sean

Jun 20, 2023, 10:31:05 AM6/20/23
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
and headgear.  a nice hat for sure, even a buff.

Casey Peltier

Jun 20, 2023, 12:20:14 PM6/20/23
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Insect repellent. Over the 18 years we have fished out west, the bugs have gotten larger and fiercer. Deet works. Include some moist towelettes (Wet Ones) to get it off your fingers before you pick up your rod.

Casey Peltier

On Jun 20, 2023, at 10:31 AM, Brian <brianr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

and headgear.  a nice hat for sure, even a buff.
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Tom Somers

Jun 20, 2023, 1:56:04 PM6/20/23
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Playing cards, super glue, dr. Bonners soap.  Might want an app for stars (night sky) or birds (Merlin) or other life forms (seek/iNaturalist).

Jun 20, 2023, 3:11:17 PM6/20/23
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
What's the app for night sky and other life forms?

brad dreisbach

Jun 20, 2023, 3:12:45 PM6/20/23
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
i've used starwalk 2 for astronomy stuff and it seems to work reasonably well.

peter odell

Jun 20, 2023, 3:48:00 PM6/20/23
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
this is becoming very useful, thanks to all contributing
I'd add a solar charged battery pack - so many devices these days, and usually includes an extra flashlight, compass, etc.    I have one somewhat bigger than a deck of cards, and it has good staying power.

Bracken Allen

Jun 20, 2023, 4:16:15 PM6/20/23
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
On Casey's point, depending on where you are at you might find a bug net for your face most comfortable. Those have been lifesavers for me on backpacking trips in Yellowstone, for example.

A good filtering water bottle can be a real treat, as well. I imagine you have some plan for purifying water (filter pump, tablets, boiling, etc.), but when you are right on the river and don't need to worry about having large volumes of water to carry with you for miles, I have always loved being able to just dip my bottle into the river and immediately drink nice, cold water.

You probably are already thinking about this, but several of my hiking and camping buddies have not until I shared it with them, but I highly recommend getting an external battery to recharge your phone. I've used this one on dozens of trips, and it is a game changer for me: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Compact-High-Speed-Technology/dp/B0194WDVHI/

Yambag Nelson

Jun 20, 2023, 5:02:47 PM6/20/23
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
not sure if you are fishing with a guide or not, but many do not like cleats in their boats.  So a pair of wading boots that are cleatless.

Carl Z.

Jun 20, 2023, 7:52:33 PM6/20/23
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ski hat for sleeping.  Depending on altitude.  I just got pretty cold last weekend  at 7800 ft.

Tom Somers

Jun 21, 2023, 9:01:01 AM6/21/23
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

“Night Sky” is a good app for constellations, tracking the ISS, whatever.  “Seek” is a free app for plants, fungi, bugs, amphibians, reptiles. It’s tied to iNaturalist.  Merlin Bird ID (free) app does bird song identifications well.

namfos

Jun 21, 2023, 9:37:29 AM6/21/23
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
 Carry permethrin spray and tweezers, wear long pants if you will be walking through bankside vegetation and check yourself and others DAILY for ticks. If you have serious allergies, don't forget your epi-pen. Costco in Wheaton last weekend had Lifestraws at 4 for $29. Be careful about applying high concentration DEET compounds directly to skin.

Mark

Art Friedlander

Jun 21, 2023, 1:14:05 PM6/21/23
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Daniel Page

Jun 28, 2023, 7:52:07 PM6/28/23
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for the recommendations! Had no idea I'd have so many replies!

Trip turned out great. Ibuprofen and water filter was a life saver for long days and catching up the morning after the whiskey for dinner. Battery charger was killer on day 3 when a little music and photos on the phone were critical for morale and keeping the wife happy upon return. Dr. Bronner made for an important few morning baths after lots of afternoon rowing.

Flows we're around 1000cfs all week and turbidity was pretty high so we had only a few takes as a group, but caught my first few trout this week. What a killer time and a fun fish to target!

Thanks all again

Dan