Tough Day

HeaveToo

Jul 24, 2013, 4:33:49 PM7/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
A tough day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

That being said, I did a little fishing at Riverbend today.  I took the Kayak out and did some fish.

The water is high and stained.  It is flowing pretty good as well.  I managed to pick up one smallmouth just after I had stopped paddling up river (I paddled a long way too).  I caught a few blue gill as well.

The smallmouth was on a Shenk's White Streamer.  It was predictable because I found some current right beside a weed bed.  I tried a lot of other flies but no one wanted to play.

This year the weed beds aren't getting established like they did last year.  This is probably because the river has been higher and stained more this year.  I hope that they establish soon because this makes for some great fishing.

Matthew Longley

Jul 25, 2013, 10:30:18 AM7/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Haha thats the motto that I live by!  Curious, when you are fishing the Shenks, how deep are you?  I tried to tie an imitation using spun deer hair instead of rabbit, because I didn't have any rabbit, and the action is amazing but I can't really get it below a few feet.

Thanks for the report!

HeaveToo

Jul 25, 2013, 2:13:16 PM7/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I am only a foot deep.  I tie it with wire rapped around the hook, then rabbit hair.

Only place I know to buy the rabbit pelt is from Murray's Fly Shop.

namfos

Jul 26, 2013, 9:05:03 AM7/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've seen rabbit pelts, usually white or natural, at some of the hobby and craft stores, i.e. Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc. but inventory varies by store. Might be worth calling the store(s).

Mark