Vacation (with wife) ideas

Tim Donaldson

Dec 17, 2019, 4:16:50 PM12/17/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've been tasked with planning an April warm weather 5 day trip and wanted some ideas.  We went to the Bahamas last year and I did a day with a guide, but we want to try someplace different.  So what I'm looking for is:

Direct flight from DCA or IAD, no flights longer than 5 hours
High likelihood of warm/sunny weather
Nice resort with pool and spa so wife can get a massage while I'm fishing - Hilton or Marriott if possible since I have points with both
Either good opportunities for walk and wade self guided, OR someplace with a good pool of guides for half day trips not far from resort

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Tim

Gregg Rockett

Dec 17, 2019, 4:19:21 PM12/17/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Have you done the Florida Keys?  There is both Hilton and Marriott product down there and ample guiding opportunities, as well as self guided bridge fishing.

Tim Donaldson

Dec 17, 2019, 4:35:04 PM12/17/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks Gregg!  I would be all about that but my wife wants something where warm and sun are more likely.  I think Florida is a crap shoot in April, although I could be wrong.

Richard Farino

Dec 17, 2019, 4:39:12 PM12/17/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Do you and the wife have a budget?

http://www.tpfr.org

Greg Feder

Dec 17, 2019, 5:27:43 PM12/17/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Richie, Lol!

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos or terseness.

Richard Farino

Dec 17, 2019, 5:44:06 PM12/17/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Just making sure.  After doing travel here, and also watching House Hunters International, I’ve seen both sides of the expectations coin when planning trips.

Now I just ask to make sure to understand where the boundaries are.

Tim Donaldson

Dec 17, 2019, 6:09:22 PM12/17/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I’m wide open in terms of location and budget

chad tokowicz

Dec 17, 2019, 6:32:10 PM12/17/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Turcs and Caicos . Bones.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Tim Donaldson

Dec 17, 2019, 6:50:24 PM12/17/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I love the idea but I don’t see direct flights. I hate the extra time and potential delays associated with connections.

Matt Wuerker

Dec 17, 2019, 7:35:59 PM12/17/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Check out Woodland Plantation, one hour south of New Orleans. Great old B and B, very ver nice rooms, great food ....and guides who can get you into fun redfish in the marshes of the Mississippi

> On Dec 17, 2019, at 6:09 PM, Tim Donaldson <timdon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’m wide open in terms of location and budget

TomG

Dec 18, 2019, 9:27:43 AM12/18/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You might consider going to Belize. I’ve taken my non-fishing Wife twice and she’s had a great time both times. Orvis has reasonably priced trips to El Pescadore Lodge called the Bonefish Bonanza (which includes a free Helios rod of your choice). If interested call Orvis Travel and ask to speak to Dan Davala.

Tim Donaldson

Dec 18, 2019, 10:22:20 AM12/18/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I would love an excuse to talk to Dan!  That's a great idea and I'd even consider a connecting flight.  Thanks Tom

Yambag Nelson

Dec 18, 2019, 11:15:10 AM12/18/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Belize would be a great choice in April.

Also easy flights to Cancun if you wanted to do Mexico. Obviously plenty of resorts and you could shoot down to boca Paila or operations on ascension bay. There are other operations near Cancun or Cozumel, not sure that they would be awesome but you could check.

There will be plenty of sun in the Florida keys in April. Depending on when you go there should be tarpon.

TomG

Dec 18, 2019, 12:19:23 PM12/18/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Orvis is also now offering Permit Palooza in addition to Bonefish Bonanza. Permit Palooza is located in The southern Belize city of Punta Gorda at the Copal Tree Lodge. My Wife also enjoyed this eco-lodge as I fished. (Also includes free H3 rod).

robert mills

Dec 29, 2019, 11:16:47 AM12/29/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I would second Belize, El Pescador lodge is easy to deal with direct as well. Personally I wouldn’t travel for bonefish, but tarpon... I would also suggest the keys for easy of access.

If you really have no real budget I would look at Nervous Waters Lodges in Argentina, Pira is a magical place and you can fish for Dorado in Piraña infested waters while she explores the marsh system or lounges while someone makes her cocktails.