Best fishing this weekend ?

william garrahan

Jul 16, 2019, 2:15:43 PM7/16/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Any points of view on smallmouth or largemouth fishing in this coming heatwave? Anyone fish Needwood lake or tridelphia ?

Would saltwater be better? Perhaps East Bay or has anyone tried Ingram Bay?

I fished upper Potomac near Brunswick couple weeks ago and got just 2 small smallies and a couple catfish

Bob Richey

Jul 16, 2019, 6:41:21 PM7/16/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
A friend tells me the South Fork is fishing well around Luray, poppers in the morning and evening and white streamers during the day.

william garrahan

Jul 17, 2019, 3:57:52 PM7/17/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks! I may try that

Jamie Carracher

Jul 17, 2019, 7:27:09 PM7/17/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Is the South Fork near Luray wadable? I’m going to be that way next month for a long weekend and was hoping to get into smallies during that trip.

Gregg DiSalvo

Jul 18, 2019, 8:38:50 AM7/18/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
it is at many of the public ramps.  Its easier to float it and hop out at riffles and structure.  This is the most enjoyable way to float IMO.  Half float half wade.

Eric Pardo

Jul 18, 2019, 9:20:21 AM7/18/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I live near Needwood and give it a shot every once and a while. I have yet to have much luck in that lake. There are some areas that are easier to cast a fly rod but it tends to be wooded for most of the shoreline throughout the lake, so it can be difficult.

namfos

Jul 19, 2019, 10:10:27 AM7/19/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I live near Lake Needwood and Lake Frank as well.  Needwood has a problem with microcystis algae, has for last several years. I don't think this latest weather will help with that.  I keep looking for fish in Rock Creek when out on my bike and have only seen carp worth pursuing down around Meadowbrook Stables.

Mark

Scott Stankus

Jul 19, 2019, 10:35:49 AM7/19/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Mark - have you ever fished Lake Frank (or Sunfish Pond)?  I've seen people fishing there, despite the signage...

image1.jpeg

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

GSFeder

Jul 19, 2019, 11:00:42 AM7/19/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
😱. Be careful moistening those knots!

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 19, 2019, at 10:35 AM, Scott Stankus <ssta...@gmail.com> wrote:

Mark - have you ever fished Lake Frank (or Sunfish Pond)?  I've seen people fishing there, despite the signage...

<image1.jpeg>

--Scott

namfos

Jul 20, 2019, 12:48:57 PM7/20/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I tried Lake Frank maybe twice - first time with spinning gear adjacent to the dam, another time with fly rod aroundthe inlet to the impoundment but it was silt city, even worse that the Monocacy. Those cyanobacteria signs totally put me off fishing Needwood last year - the water was a hideous pukey pea green color. No way I was going to put my kayak in.

namfos

Jul 20, 2019, 12:49:54 PM7/20/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Got that right!

namfos

Jul 21, 2019, 12:12:33 PM7/21/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Lake Frank this morning from top of dam. Guy in the water to his credit is wearing waders even in 90F heat.

LakeFrank20190721.JPG

LakeFrankinwaders20190721.JPG