American or Hickory?

Anthony Olson

Apr 19, 2017, 11:37:15 AM4/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

I'm sure there are a bunch of posts about this but just wanted to get a quick answer. Fished fletchers last night from about 6-830 and caught well over 30 fish with the first one of the night being the biggest. Is this an American shad and what's the easiest way to identify (I'm assuming it is more than just the size of them?)

Shad.jpg

Rob Snowhite

Apr 19, 2017, 11:47:54 AM4/19/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Very nice American.

Hickory have an underbite.

image1.PNG

--
http://www.tpfr.org
<Shad.jpg>

Yambag Nelson

Apr 19, 2017, 3:42:50 PM4/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The underbite is the best way.  You can't just go by the size as you can occasionally catch some very large hickories.  I caught one back in March that was bigger than most of the Americancs I have caught this year.

You can also generally tell pretty quickly after hooking them though.  Hickories will often come to the surface pretty quickly after being hooked whereas americans rarely do.

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 11:47:54 AM UTC-4, Rob Snowhite wrote:
Very nice American.

Hickory have an underbite.

image1.PNG

On Apr 19, 2017, at 11:37 AM, Anthony Olson <anthony...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm sure there are a bunch of posts about this but just wanted to get a quick answer. Fished fletchers last night from about 6-830 and caught well over 30 fish with the first one of the night being the biggest. Is this an American shad and what's the easiest way to identify (I'm assuming it is more than just the size of them?)

--
http://www.tpfr.org
<Shad.jpg>

tperkins

Apr 21, 2017, 9:51:09 AM4/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
How do you like the Flycraft?

Anthony Olson

Apr 23, 2017, 6:58:42 PM4/23/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Tperkins, its awesome. Its my buddies and we've taken it threw some pretty nasty stuff no problem. It only takes about 20 min to put all together once you get the hang of things. Living in the city and being able to keep it in the bed of the truck is obviously the biggest upside.

Andrew R

Apr 27, 2017, 3:32:28 PM4/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey Anthony,

I always thought the Flycraft was a two person raft. Is that a mod?

Also, besides the Potomac, where else do you guys run it around here (the doah, yough, NB)? How does it track compared to a regular raft? Is there room to stand?

I've been in the market for a raft or drifter for a while and have been looking at the Stealthraft or the NRS freestone because I want a 3 person setup, but if the flycraft can fit 3 guys relatively comfortably, I may check it out.

Tight Lines,

Andrew R

ALarge

Apr 28, 2017, 3:51:02 PM4/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Saw those guys with that flycraft last weekend and had a brief convo with them about the boat. It had the optional third seat attached to the gear rack on the stern. Very sweet setup. Have always admired that boat and have been searching high and low for a used one. New is simply out of my price range.

Andrew- In my search i came across this craigslist ad for a nice raft used. I'm not selling it, nor do i know who is so i don't think I'm breaking any bylaws by posting it here to help a fellow anger on his search. Some guy named Sean answered some questions of mine about how small it can pack up to. https://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/6103792430.html

James Ovelmen

Apr 29, 2017, 8:24:31 AM4/29/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have been stalking the flycraft, fly smith big shoals raft, and the the t.rex 9.8 mini drifter. Things holding me back are I am not sure where all I could actually take them, cost, and can you really stand when you fish out of them. Also, smithfly's new giant paddle board looks cool as hell.

Connor Donovan

May 1, 2017, 10:45:23 AM5/1/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Does the Fly Craft have a foot bar?

A buddy brought his Stealthraft to the Jackson this weekend. First time I've seen one in person.  It was bigger than I expected but I was somewhat shocked to see that it didn't have a footbar.  Other than that, looked like a great boat.

Rob Snowhite

May 1, 2017, 7:04:26 PM5/1/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Every aspect of a Stealthcraft is customizable. They may have opted out of a foot bar. I was forced to opt out of an anchor winch by the wife due to costs and I get pissed every time I haul that 40lb lead anchor up.

I want a FlyCraft. Don't need one but really really want one.

Stealthcraft also has an inflatable boat that is similar. They always have used boats for sale and are about half a mile from the Pere Marquette. If you buy a boat from them be sure to pick it up and float while there. - just be sure you know where the outtake is: http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2016/07/muskegon_river_tubing_trip_tur.html

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Andrew R

May 2, 2017, 2:26:36 PM5/2/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Rob, my buddy who lives in Grand Rapids also has a stealthcraft ATB, which we used on the PM two weeks ago for steelhead on Saturday and then cruised a lake for smallies, pike and muskie (didn't see any muskie but apparently the MI state record came out of that lake). A really sweet boat and really versatile. I've been out to Batcke's three times now but never been able to swing by the Stealthcraft headquarters even though it was next door to the lodge. I've heard really good things about the stealthraft from a guide on the Truckee who used to use the NRS freestone drifter that I've been eyeing for the last year.

ALarge, thanks for the tip, I'm headed out to VA tonight after work to check out the raft and hopefully come home the proud new owner of a PAC 1300. Too good of a deal to pass up.

Tight Lines,

Andrew

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 8:24:31 AM UTC-4, James Ovelmen wrote:
I have been stalking the flycraft, fly smith big shoals raft, and the the t.rex 9.8 mini drifter. Things holding me back are I am not sure where all I could actually take them, cost, and can you really stand when you fish out of them. Also, smithfly's new giant paddle board looks cool as hell.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Rob Snowhite

May 2, 2017, 2:32:20 PM5/2/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,

Any time you want to try out the boat let me know. That means you can row me around while I fish :)

May 2, 2017, 2:43:16 PM5/2/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Likewise, Andrew, you can thank me by taking me on a float trip! Hope it works out for you. Sounded like a steal.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.