Reading the River gauges

HeaveToo

May 30, 2014, 4:20:52 PM5/30/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I realize that we have a section on google maps with some of the fishing locations.

I think that it would be nice if we can create information on the river gauges.  What I mean by this is to post out what the "safe" levels are for the river for wading.  We could do this for the Potomac River, Rappahannock River, Shenandoah River, and other local fisheries.  It would also be helpful to know what the levels are for the clarity of the water.

This wouldn't mean real time data.  This would be more like a sticky that would give you base information so that if you checked out a river gauge and saw it's current and predicted level you could determine if it would be a good time to fish, if it was safe to fish, and other important information.

Just a thought.  Anyone else think that this is a good idea?

Paul Kalajainen

May 30, 2014, 9:35:27 PM5/30/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I think that's a great idea.  I'm sure most of that info exists in old threads, but having it somewhere easy to reference would be great.

Paul

TurbineBlade

May 31, 2014, 5:56:05 AM5/31/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I think it's a good idea, but beware the current 'WaderGate" situation going on with the Potomac.

Posting ideal levels for wading would be equivalent to posting ideal times to park in disabled/loading zones when no one has a disabled tag or is unloading a truck.

Gene

HeaveToo

May 31, 2014, 4:29:35 PM5/31/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was mainly referring to areas like Kelly's Ford on the Rappahannock River and like places.  The places were you can legally park and wade and leave the gray areas out of it for now.  The thing could always be updated.

I sit here and look at the gauges trying to remember what the river level was the last time I waded a particular section of river, like at Riverbend Park.  It is a great disappointment to drive 45 minutes only to find out the section of river you are now at is not safe for wading or fishing conditions are bad!

Danny Barrett

May 31, 2014, 4:46:27 PM5/31/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I know the feeling. its forced me to keep a log.  i just made a template so to speek in word and fill one out everytime im on the water and have folders for each river.  with just general info like date, temp both air and water, time of day, water clarity and CFS and what i caught.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Brad

Jun 1, 2014, 9:36:04 AM6/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If this is too commercial, delete it Dan.

There is a company called GMCO. They sell river maps and have a set for the Potomac. http://www.westmarine.com/gmco-maps-charts--fishing-charts-maps--P014_421_001_034

Those maps list safe boating and wading river levels by gauge. For the 14 years I lived and fished in the DC area, I used those numbers as a guide and they work. The boat numbers correspond to the numbers painted on the boat ramps on the MD side, so they agree with MD DNR.

Brad

Richard Farino

Jun 2, 2014, 10:44:12 AM6/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Your local fly shops also carry these maps.  They also carry maps for other areas local fly anglers also like to fish, like the Outer Banks, the Rappahannock, the Virginia Barrier Islands, as well as the Upper Potomac River and Tidal Potomac River (recently updated) maps.

A few of the maps are waterproof, have info regarding safe river height levels, access points, boat launches, as well as good fishing spots, shoals, and hazards.

George Martin (of the George Martin COmpany) makes really good products, and the B.A.S.S. and FLW guys all use his maps and keep them handy on the boat.  I keep these with me all the time, and we even pull them out in the shop to show folks where to focus their efforts.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Danny Barrett

Jun 2, 2014, 2:36:44 PM6/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Brad.
Any idea how far up the Potomac it covers, does it stop at the VA line or all the way into WV?

Richard Farino

Jun 2, 2014, 7:29:20 PM6/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Upper Potomac Map goes all the way from Dam 4 near Shepherdstown to Great Falls.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

Nedak

Jun 20, 2014, 10:05:34 AM6/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Not sure who "owns" the Google Map that identifies the locations for fishing on the website.  But using a free tool called Maps Engine Lite, the data about safe wading could be added to the map.

https://support.google.com/mapsenginelite/answer/3024396?hl=en

Also Danny- your doc could be converted to a spreadsheet and uploaded to created information that is sharable.

I don't know how to do any of this but I can point to tools that are free.

John

Rob Snowhite

Jun 20, 2014, 10:51:06 AM6/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Any objections to adding spots non local? This could save some of the redundant questions on where to fish when in
______. We could push pun spots that have already been mentioned from Colorado and Miami to Cleveland and California. As they have already been published on the forum it wouldn't be hot spotting. Adding a place to grab a pint and burger after fishing would be a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

HeaveToo

Jun 20, 2014, 11:10:03 AM6/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Rob, I think that idea is a good one.

You know what would be cool.  If we could get some live cameras in some places along the rivers.  Maybe at some of the parks etc.  You could go on-line to view the cameras to see the river conditions.  They did something similar to this with the Shad Cams in several places.

Rob Snowhite

HeaveToo

Jun 20, 2014, 11:24:44 AM6/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That is funny.  It is like how people watch the TV Channel that has fish on it in a tank or swimming in a river.  I am sure that most of us find that kind of stuff relaxing because it makes us think of fishing.

I wonder if we could have a few cameras placed.  Say at Riverbend park, Great Falls, Luray, Rappahannock River, and a few other places.  It would be an overall view.  I am sure that a lot of people would watch them.

D. Walker

Jun 20, 2014, 2:17:00 PM6/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I sure there is a way it can load onto google earth app with a .kmz file, but I don't know how to convert it. maybe someone else will know.

I will try to mess around with it this weekend to see what I can do.