D.C. area boat rentals

Jamie Carracher

Jun 21, 2017, 1:19:47 PM6/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi gang -- can anyone recommend good places to rent boats pretty close to D.C.?

I was out last weekend wet wading and really wasn't able to cover much water, so I'd like to change up my tactics. I've rented boats from Fletcher's, which are great and may be where I end up again, but I wondered if there were any other decent options out there for angling.

I have mulled over getting a kayak at the boathouse at Key Bridge, but that may be a big hassle since they aren't equipped with a rod holder. I'm even considering buying one of those expensive fold-up kayaks that I can store in my apartment. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hopefully the rain scheduled for Friday and Saturday morning doesn't blow everything out!

Jamie

Parker

Jun 21, 2017, 1:31:43 PM6/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Fletchers has a new fleet of Old Town Predator pedal kayaks. You can cover a lot of water in one of these. They are really fast and easy to maneuver and stable enough to stand in while casting. Unfortunately, the pedals also catch loose fly line, which can get a little annoying.

Rob Snowhite

Jun 21, 2017, 1:32:09 PM6/21/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have a beater canoe you can borrow.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Andrew Sarcinello

Jun 21, 2017, 4:08:51 PM6/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If you're interested in fishing upriver from the tidal part, River Bend Park has rentals. Not a lot of boats so I would suggest getting there when they open (I believe that's 9 a.m.)

Jamie Carracher

Jun 22, 2017, 9:28:50 AM6/22/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks, all! This is terrific information. Looks like this weekend may be a washout, so I'm filing this away for hopefully the following weekend.

peter odell

Jun 23, 2017, 8:08:40 AM6/23/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Depending on how "close" you are looking for, Burke Lake and Fountainhead regional park in Virginia both rent johnboats at a rational price.  Lakes buffer any rain, and both can be quite good on the right day.....

Jeff Cook

Jun 23, 2017, 11:23:32 AM6/23/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If it's really close you want, Belle Haven Marina, a mile south of Old Town Alexandria, rents jonboats and allows you to bring your own outboard. They also rent canoes and kayaks, sailboards and sailboats.

It looks like there should be fish there, but I never hear people talk about.

Jeff Cook