Anybody ever used spiral Czech/French nymphing strike indicators

Ashley Frohwein

Jan 18, 2017, 1:41:32 PM1/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm thinking of trying out some spiral strike indicators. Have any of you ever used them? What drawbacks, if any, do they have? Are spiral/coiled strike indicators more effective than just adding sighting material to your line? (I've mainly been using a tiny ball of indicator putty do detect strikes.) I'm still pretty new to this whole strike indicator-less nymphing stuff.

Oh, and let me know if any of you want to join me for a weekend-long fishing trip to VA and/or WV this weekend - I'm trying to be far from the inauguration stuff.

Here's a pic of what I'm referring to: Image result for spiral strike indicator czech

Carl Smolka

Jan 18, 2017, 10:21:46 PM1/18/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You can make your own to try. Wrap mono around a small dowel, boil it and then freeze overnight.
Carl S

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Ashley Frohwein

Carl Smolka

Jan 19, 2017, 1:14:41 PM1/19/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, carl....@verizon.net

I have used 20# Amnesia, but I think 2X (11#) Umpqua bi-color tippet would work well.

Carl S

[...]

Here's a pic of what I'm referring to: Image removed by sender. Image result for spiral strike indicator czech

--
http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

~WRD000.jpg

Misha Gill

Jan 19, 2017, 1:41:46 PM1/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, carl....@verizon.net
I wouldn't use Amnesia... I tried it with Amnesia and it didn't create tight, stiff loops. The point of Amnesia is its memory-free quality. You should use a regular mono to achieve the stiff loops that make the indicator so sensitive.

Justin Schiavone

Jan 19, 2017, 5:02:11 PM1/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
This is a great question, ultimately I agree with Misha. For me it's all about connectivity so I tight line my rigs without any coiled indicators as I believe it is restrictive. However, if if tight lining is new it can be a really great tool, and you can use uncoiled colored line as well to help follow the line and notice pauses or subtle strikes.

My question is split shot vs weighted flies ? What do you think?

I believe the obnoxious amount of weight is what I pull so slightly against to achieve connectivity, and I would say I have had more luck this way- but, fishing the weighted point fly is a lot easier.

Thoughts?

Carl Z.

Jan 19, 2017, 6:36:03 PM1/19/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I use Berkley SOLAR colored Trilene when making leaders when I want high visibility.  It has similar thickness and stiffness to Maxima Chameleon leader material but it bright green and highly visible.  I use it more for casting practice when I want to watch my leader unroll.  I have it in 25lb test and 20lb test but haven't seen it in 15lb test which would be really nice.

I don't use it for slinky indicators but rather use it in my hand tied leader directly.   I have also snelled the trilene onto an existing leader as a little, bright green bead.   It's a bit less obnoxious than a bright green leader butt section.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Misha Gill

Jan 20, 2017, 2:52:22 PM1/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Justin,

I believe the slinky indicators were originally used for shallow water nymphing in like France. That's why I want to make my own and not buy the super long slinkies like the ones shown in the original post. I want a short little bit of coil (like 15 wraps) so as to be sensitive but really stealth. So if you're using a slinky leader, I don't think you would be using a heavily weighted nymph rig.

I think there is definitely a point at which a fly becomes too heavy. The imitation needs to be affected by underwater micro currents in order to look like the real thing. I would imagine that it depends on the gradient of the stream how much weight an individual fly can be given but still catch fish. The balance between the two is where successful nymph fishermen live, so it just depends on the situation. If you need more weight to get down, I think you have to start using split shots. I'm planning to do more "drop shotting" this year. Yay for tippet rings!

Carl,

I'm going to steal your snelled bead of bright mono idea. It's inspired. You should submit it as a tip to American Angler or somewhere.

Justin Schiavone

Jan 20, 2017, 6:17:04 PM1/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yeah Carl that is slick. And, I see your point Misha, there is simply too much coil. I guess I've used coiled leader to dechipher hits, but this was only a few coils. So yeah, I'm with It. Interesting stuff... But dig this, Czech nymphing and or tight lining/ high sticking- for me at least - is the only application I really feel these indicators have a place.. (but that's just like my opinion, man.) Because, really if you are throwing a nymph making longer casts a coil is no different from watching your fly line for movement where it meats your leader.. Anyway, regarding the weighted flies and thwarting the natural rthyms- great point, but I'd rather have my weight at least look like a possible meal rather than split, and allow the other fly to achieve a more natural flow. I can go on about these contrasts but ultimately we can stick to the strike indicators.

I'll be on the platt tomorrow, I'll Czech out some of these tips.

Tight lines !

Carl Z.

Jan 20, 2017, 6:29:22 PM1/20/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I also like the New Zealand  mini-yarn indicator system

I like the new design that fits on a zinger.  I dropped one in the Yellow Breaches and promptly bought another.  They provide a tiny bit of float but can be kept small so the fish doesn't feel it and they are easy to cast.

I think I heard about the snelling of amnesia (or any flourecent line) on a tenkara website.  It really helps and you can place 3 or 4 or them over the length of the leader to get a better visual.

Carl

Carl

--
Carl Zmola