anchorage alaska next week

Murf

Jul 23, 2013, 8:57:39 AM7/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
So my work gave me a pleasant supririse letting me know yesterday that I have to go to Anchorage Alaska next Sunday for two weeks. I have the weekend between week one and two off so was hoping to go fishing. I've only fly fished one other place besides the DMV area and had marginal success. Do any of you have experience in that area for the time frame. Can you provide some suggestions on what I should take as far as rods or flies. I read online that the silvers should be running but have no experience with salmon on the fly. Any pointers or advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have a 6 and 8 at rod that I can take.

Tim

Jeffrey Silvan

Jul 23, 2013, 9:02:45 AM7/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The biggest single piece of advice I can give you is hire a guide - at bare minimum for a half day the first day you're going to fish. If you search on here, you'll find quite a few stories of people being unfamiliar with the style of fishing, or the area, and giving it a shot on their own to save a few bucks on hiring a guide. Inevitably, they come back with dreary reports of few to no fish on what could have been an amazing trip. Especially if you've never fished for salmon on the fly before, the time with the guide will be invaluable.

The 8-wt is the smallest you'd want to go with if you're targeting salmon, and that will still be on the lighter side for Alaska salmon. With that, I've exhausted my knowledge of salmon fishing, so good luck!

--
http://www.tpfr.org

RC2

Jul 23, 2013, 9:19:45 AM7/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

I used to live up there.

Take both; the 6 will work for Dollies and 'bows; the 8 is more than sufficient for reds and silvers.

Do yourself a huge favor; get a guide. Troutfitters in Cooper Landing is excellent for fishing the Upper Kenai and the Russian primarily for Dollies and 'bows. You'll certainly have good shots at some reds; might be a bit early for silvers. Rust's Flying Service on Lake Hood can also set you up with a guide for a day fly in for salmon as well as trout. There are dozen's of guides; do a bit of homework, and you'll likely easily find a quality guide. If you're only fishing a few days, don't waste your time going solo. You'll only be disappointed. I spent five years trying to learn the water up there, and when I head up now for a bi-annual trip, I still get a guide. They know the water and what to use. Unless you're purist, you'll be dead drifting beads for rainbows and Dollies. You can fish dries on the Russian, but the Upper is big water. Reds and especially silvers take large flashy flies; hence why you need the backbone of the 8. Good luck; have fun!

Richard Reinecke

Danny Barrett

Jul 23, 2013, 9:56:53 AM7/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ive been up there once.  Take the 8.  I broke an 8 on a salmon, thank god for replacement polices. Streamers of different colors work for salmon and flesh flies worked for huge rainbows.  I was over on the kenai peninsula and out in the bush for most of my time there.  But I met people on the plane ride who were fishing in Anchorage. Feel free to email me back if you have any other questions

Thanks,

Dan Barrett

MSA Fall Protection CoOp
1100 Cranberry Woods Drive,
Cranberry TWP, PA

3610 Dawson Ave
Pittsburgh, PA

Marek Rich

Jul 23, 2013, 12:02:33 PM7/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
HIRE A GUIDE!!!

David Constantine

Jul 24, 2013, 11:22:05 PM7/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I just got back from Alaska a few days ago.  Right now the Reds are running like crazy in the Kenai River.  If I were you, I'd rent a car and drive to Soldotna on the Kenai Peninsula. It's a gorgeous 3 hour drive from Anchorage, and worth it.  Hire a guide and and tell them you want to fish for Reds - I saw lots of guides fishing for Kings and it looked boring and unproductive.  Take the 8wt and sinking line, though you may not need it.  I'd guess the guides will have their own specialized rigs you can use.  I used both fly and spin rigs with equal success.  There are fish processors in town that will clean, filet, freeze, and package your fish in a box that Alaska Air will let you check for $20.  I have about 20lbs of red salmon chilling in my freezer.  Some of the craziest, best fishing of my life.
Good luck, and post your story-
Dave

Danny Barrett

Jul 25, 2013, 9:52:15 AM7/25/13