Twisting line

Gregg DiSalvo

Aug 6, 2020, 9:26:22 AM8/6/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi Guys, Been fishing a lo of deer hair bugs lately.  When fishing Dahlberg divers in particular, I find my leader twists like crazy after 5-10 minutes of fishing.  I'm thinking it twists when casting rather than when retrieving.  This is both annoying, but also I fear it weakens the leader.  Does anybody else have similar issues?   Should I be tying on a small barrel swivel?  I really only ever used swivels with conventional gear, but I'm out of ideas.

Anybody have any good solutions here?

Gregg

Dan G

Aug 6, 2020, 12:00:12 PM8/6/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
A roll cast will eliminate the twisting of leader but will reduce casting distant. I’d suggest reducing the frequency of false casts.

Scott Stankus

Aug 6, 2020, 12:42:50 PM8/6/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Switch hands - make one cast with your right hand, then the next cast with your left. This will alternately twist and untwist your leader!

(kidding, of course!)

I've used small barrel swivels on my leader, but I'm not sure I've ever used them when fishing top water. Give it a shot. It may sink your leader a dit, but that shouldn't be a problem with a diver, anyway!

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

arthur noglak

Aug 7, 2020, 9:29:13 AM8/7/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Your tippet may be to low a diameter.

What size fly and leader are you using?

Art Noglak

Gregg DiSalvo

Aug 7, 2020, 9:32:52 AM8/7/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was chatting with Trent and he thinks the same thing.  I'm using 15lb tip section of a leader, but it is fairly soft mono.  I am going to try some harder mono and see if that does the trick.  If not, I will try sizing up.  The divers which are the only fly I have this problem with, are size 2 and 6 tiemco special use bass bug hooks.

arthur noglak

Aug 7, 2020, 9:44:49 AM8/7/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Oh wow ive never seen 15lb do that!

Art

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Dalton Terrell

Aug 7, 2020, 11:18:35 AM8/7/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Zero experience with these swivels, but looks they look like they wouldn't have the issue sinking and would be more stealthy than metal: https://www.amazon.com/Aquateko-Invisa-Swivel/dp/B002UEIU56?th=1&psc=1

This might be relevant as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0annWNU4Jg

Dalton

Gregg DiSalvo

Aug 7, 2020, 11:23:11 AM8/7/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Art, you'd be disappointed with the cheap. mono I'm using.  It's only for my snakehead rig.  Trent, those swivels are nuts.  Didn't know something like that existed.  Definitely wanna try nicer tippet first, but if I still have problems....Dare I become...a swivel guy?

Fly Fish

Aug 7, 2020, 11:28:42 AM8/7/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Also check your deer hair fly to be certain it is trimmed evenly. If it does not float true when you strip it, take a razorblade and adjust it.

Charlie

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/c044d207-b1a9-45d8-8045-11ec2771576fn%40googlegroups.com.

Josh Cohn

Aug 10, 2020, 8:25:15 AM8/10/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Up the tippet like mentioned, but also wrap the shank with some lead to keel it better.

Dan G

Aug 10, 2020, 9:05:41 AM8/10/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I saw a great that used a barrel swivel in a streamer rig; the leader end was tied to the swivel with a 8 inch tag end. A second streamed/wet fly was tied to the tag end of the leader.

rplx...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2020, 8:37:03 PM8/12/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Greg-
In addition to making sure the divers are trimmed so they don't spin, and using a shorter leader, are you using a belgian/continuous tension cast? This cast puts a half turn in your fly line in every cast. Add that with a long leader, a spinning wind resistant fly, you will get some serious leader twist.

If you don't normally get twist in your line, it is likely the fly. But if you often get some level of line twist, try making sure your backcast is straight back, then pause for the line to mostly unroll and then make your forward cast stright forward in the same plane.

Hope this helps!
-Tom

Gregg DiSalvo

Aug 13, 2020, 7:26:38 AM8/13/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
you know, I do often use the Belgium/oval cast.  That very well might be contributing to the issue!