Newbie looking to learn the ropes

Ryan McDevitt

Apr 17, 2017, 3:21:56 PM4/17/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey all,

I am new to the group and fly fishing. My girlfriend got me an Orvis rod over the winter and I have yet to get out and use it. I have never fly fished before.

Anyone in the group willing to take me under their wing next time they go out so I don't make a complete fool of myself?

Happy to provide a case of beer to anyone up to the task,

-Ryan

Brian McGough

Apr 17, 2017, 3:25:26 PM4/17/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sign up for the Orvis Fly Fishing 101 and 201. 101 is free and well worth it.

I'm new as well and the 101 was really helpful to me. I'm still trying to get the hang of everything....but I'll get it eventually.

Brian McGough

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Steve Higgins

Apr 18, 2017, 7:40:11 AM4/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
And after 201, go to the Arlington store's trout school out at rose river farm. It's about 200$ but 100% worth it.

James Fletcher

Apr 18, 2017, 7:47:49 AM4/18/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Orvis classes are great -  well taught and give you a good understanding of the basics.

Once you "graduate," figure out what kind of fishing you want to do and look up threads on here for tips on where to go, what to use, etc.

Then, get out there and start doing (aka learning again). If you're interested in mountain streams or the Shenandoah Valley, more than welcome to join me on a Saturday or Sunday venture...currently under test-arrest, though, taking the LSAT in June...so I only make it out once, maybe twice, a month.

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Steve Higgins <j.stephe...@gmail.com> wrote:
And after 201, go to the Arlington store's trout school out at rose river farm. It's about 200$ but 100% worth it.
--
http://www.tpfr.org

James Fletcher
Associate Political Strategist
The Lukens Company

Andrew R

Apr 18, 2017, 5:12:09 PM4/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi Ryan,

As mentioned ad nauseam, the Orvis 101 and 201 classes are a great way to get started. Also, if you have a free weekend day and some extra coin, Mark Kovatch's Fly Fishing Classes in Harper's Ferry are top notch for beginners. I did one with my dad, a novice like you, last year for Father's Day and learned some good stuff, even though I've been fly-fishing for several years.

If you really get the bug, I'd recommend reaching out to Dalton, Trent or one of the other CIs in TPFR to get some casting instruction. I'm in the process of becoming a CI and used to play golf in college: my advice is learn proper fundamentals before forging ahead too much as, just like in one's golf swing, it's a lot harder to eliminate bad habits in your fly casting once they're entrenched than it is to learn from scratch.

If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out to me via email. I am on the board of the National Capital Chapter of Trout Unlimited (NCC-TU) and we have trips around the Mid-Atlantic this summer and fall including an intro to fly fishing outing in May to Big Hunting Creek (near I-70 past Frederick).

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 7:47:49 AM UTC-4, James Fletcher wrote:
Orvis classes are great -  well taught and give you a good understanding of the basics.

Once you "graduate," figure out what kind of fishing you want to do and look up threads on here for tips on where to go, what to use, etc.

Then, get out there and start doing (aka learning again). If you're interested in mountain streams or the Shenandoah Valley, more than welcome to join me on a Saturday or Sunday venture...currently under test-arrest, though, taking the LSAT in June...so I only make it out once, maybe twice, a month.
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Steve Higgins <j.stephe...@gmail.com> wrote:
And after 201, go to the Arlington store's trout school out at rose river farm. It's about 200$ but 100% worth it.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Jamie Carracher

Apr 19, 2017, 9:45:24 AM4/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Agree with the feedback above. I can't recommend enough just getting out there and fishing. My first summer season I went out every weekend for hours on end and didn't catch a thing. Back then, my casting was no good, my retrieve was no good and worse yet, I had no sense of where to find fish. It was frustrating but also really rewarding when I finally started to get the hang of it. Just last weekend I was able to double haul, for example. That only took 3 years hah!

namfos

Apr 19, 2017, 4:17:03 PM4/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Terry C

Apr 19, 2017, 5:11:03 PM4/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Love Hank P.    use all his methods ;)

Terry C

Apr 19, 2017, 5:13:44 PM4/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ryan if you live anywhere near Leesburg  I would be glad to work with you, I am Goose Creek often fishing or practicing my casting.

namfos

Apr 20, 2017, 8:57:25 AM4/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Ryan McDevitt

Apr 20, 2017, 3:32:27 PM4/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thank you all for the help.

Jim Boryan

Apr 20, 2017, 9:13:49 PM4/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ryan,

30 rack of Busch light and I'll put you on fish. HMU 5714391841

HeaveToo

Apr 21, 2017, 8:59:04 AM4/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Be careful!  Fly Fishing is extremely addictive.  Once you start you may never stop!!!!!!!

Congratulations on the rod.  Don't be intimidated and ask questions.  Most Fly Fishermen love to help out a new convert and we will point you in the right direction.  Fly Fishing is not hard, it is just a matter of getting out there and doing it.

Charles Huang

Apr 21, 2017, 3:21:26 PM4/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi Ryan,

I'm a newbie as well. Been trying to get into fly fishing for a while, but finally making the push now. I did an Orvis 101 (with Trent in Bethesda) and it was very helpful, and I'm looking forward to the 201 I signed up for.

If you want to have a newbie friend to go out with and learn together/make fools of ourselves, let me know. I'm going to be trying the spots in or around DC for when I can't get away, and I'm also planning a trip with a buddy for a fly fishing weekend in May.

All the advice on here sounds great, especially the class in Harper's Ferry. I think this list (TPFR) is a great resource also, and I hope to meet many folks at one of the beer ties or other events.

Best,
Charles