Camping Moorman's River

Forrest Allen

May 14, 2015, 12:23:20 PM5/14/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon folks,

I was hoping to spend a day/evening/morning fishing and hiking around the Moorman's River above the Charlottesville Reservoir this Sat/Sun. However, after looking at several satellite images and a few pictures here and there I have a few doubts about this location.

Second, I've located a picture of the sign at one of the parking spots that says no overnight parking. https://healthyincville.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/img_20140709_121734.jpg
Is anyone familiar with an alternate location at which I may park overnight and access this river/camp? Does anyone know if such a sign exists at the second parking location on the map, because that first one may just be too close to the reservoir? Obviously there is skyline drive, but even there, is there overnight parking?

Third, how crowded would you expect this river to be on a hot Spring Saturday? Both in terms of people fishing and hiking?

Lastly, different satellite images show different continuations of Sugar Hollow creek beyond the parking areas. Can anyone confirm if it is possible to continue driving on fire roads or any sort of road there?

I'll take alternative fishing/camping location suggestions in the general vicinity of that location too.

Thanks for any comments.

Forrest
Message has been deleted

j m

May 14, 2015, 5:17:30 PM5/14/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Forrest (and everybody),
Long time lurker here. Just a heads up to you and anyone else planning SNP trips this weekend that this F/S/Su is UVA graduation (wahoowa!) so that whole area will be super crowded.
Traffic backs up on 29 way north of Cville and the SNP trails will also likely have extra folks on them due to all the families/friends in town. If you really want to fish SNP this weekend, I'd at least head somewhere farther north off of 211/522 or 231.

Have fun!
Jo
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Andy Thomas

May 14, 2015, 7:23:54 PM5/14/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Forrest,

My wife and I hiked and fished the Moormans about a month ago.  It's great.  Once you get past the reservoir, you'll run into the first parking area.  I don't recall seeing any signs there prohibiting parking overnight, but even so, it is remote (not like skyline drive).  I can't imagine there being anytype of regular patrols.  The fireroad starts here. There is a second parking area up the fire road but I would not recommend trying to reach it without a 4WD.  Its only about a 15-20 minute walk from the first.  From there you just start following the trail on the right side of the river.  At the beginning, its stocked and you'll likely see folks there.  Once you hike in for about 30-45 minutes, you will cross the river several times and come to a large waterfall on the left.  That is where the good brookie action starts.  From there, the trail is about 4 miles up to Skyline Drive.  As usual, the deeper you go, the less folks you'll see.

If you've got a 6-7 wt, I would recommend it on the reservoir.  I'm guessing there is probably some good bass or carp action in there.

As for missing traffic, you can go down I-81 and cut through the mountains at Harrisburg or go all the way down and go towards Charlottesville and cut back up.  If you go down I-81, stop in Mossy Creek Fly Shop in Harrisburg.  They'll give you good info and perhaps other spots to try.

Have fun!

Joe Mathews

May 15, 2015, 10:41:36 AM5/15/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
There's nothing too special about the upper Moorman's River when it comes to brookie streams. There are equally good places a lot closer to DC. And Jo makes a good point about UVa graduation. I actually took my parents on a hike on that trail during graduation weekend 2006! Given the likelihood of crowds in the lower section, you'll probably have to hike a couple miles to get some quiet. I would look elsewhere this weekend, probably farther north. Rapidan, Whiteoak Canyon Run, Rose, Hughes, etc.

Forrest Allen

May 15, 2015, 1:57:11 PM5/15/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andy and Joe.

I was definitely aware that it's UVA's graduation weekend (Go Hoos!), but I'd also planned on visiting some family in Crozet and stopping by Boot'vil too. Thats why I picked somewhere close to CVille

I appreciate your account of your hike and description of the parking areas. Unfortunately, I just traded in my truck - starting to realize I took 4WD and high clearance for granted. Also good to know it is stocked - I was unaware. I'll be aiming for Brookies moreso than the bows or browns they stock.

All in all, the intention was to have a fairly easy to access, decent stream where my girlfriend and I would be able to camp/fish in relative peace. Do you have any comment on camping surfaces around? As in flat land that isnt just a bed of rocks? The satellite images dont give me much to go on. We did the Rapidan a couple weeks ago, which I love, but just want to try somewhere new.

Thanks again!

Forrest

Andy Thomas

May 15, 2015, 2:32:38 PM5/15/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You'll definitely be close to Crozet.  I didn't see any designated camping areas but I didn't look either.  With that being said, I'm sure you could find some decent ground to pitch a tent.  There are lots of places around the reservoir and plentyof back country options.  As for the stocked section, its probably only about a 1/2 -1 mile of the water above the reservoir.  No way a vehicle can access any further than that.  From then on, its brookies.  I will note, on the hike in you will cross some great looking holes, but as I said, the best water starts close to the falls.

I'm not sure if the they stock below the reservour but either way, a lot of that is private water so just be careful if you fish the river prior to reaching the reservoir.  I don't think you would find many trout, unless they are stocked, but it might hold some bass.

And, as I mentioned, driving to the first lot is easy, we have a car and had no problems.  Its the second lot I'd be careful driving too.

Joe Mathews

May 16, 2015, 9:51:55 AM5/16/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The section below the reservoir (a mile or so) used to be stocked with rainbows by the local TU chapter. You had to buy a $15 permit for the year if you wanted to fish that section, which helped TU pay for the stocking. But it was fun fishing, and that's where I cut my teeth as a trout angler. In those times the brookie fishing was not great because a flood had wiped out the upper river and destroyed a lot of habitat in 1995. There's still a plaque along the trail describing the flood, I believe.

Based on some googling, it appears Albemarle Angler may be selling the permits now, and they may cost $50. http://everythingthatswims.blogspot.com/2012/12/moormans-river-tu-chapter.html?m=1

Forrest Allen

May 19, 2015, 8:41:09 AM5/19/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
For future readers on the Moorman's River

You are almost guaranteed to get fish rising this time of year right where you'd expect they'd be on this river. However, it is pretty tight casting in some places. Casting low and sidearmed straight up and down the river was necessary for a few good holes. I caught a handful of fish in the time I was out there before the storms rolled in, and I scrapped the camping plans alltogether for a few reasons. The fish were standard size for a small river, but I did spook/interest a few bigger guys. They were very aggressive, so dry flies were a lot of fun. I mostly had success with the Elk Hair Caddis, Adams Wulff and Adams Parachutes. The chubs were annoyingly active too (can anyone identify the fish with the red strip on the belly that hit my fly? Just some type of carp?)

As for access to the stream, its about as easy as it gets for the parking area. Paved almost the entire way, and any type of car could get there. I caught a brookie not more than 100 yards from the first parking lot (probably could have gotten one closer, but there were people stomping through the creek). However, finding space to park was terrible - the place was packed and the trail was crawling with humans! I kind of expected this, but hoped for better. The access road to the second parking lot was closed, but there was only one hairy section on it that I'd be concerned about if you didnt have high clearance. 2WD could likely make it fine in dry conditions. There are some good camping pulloffs before that second parking area, but it is so well traveled, I wouldnt want to bother - especially since they have fire regulations. The first lot does say no overnight parking, but I dont know what the punishment would be for doing so.

 All in all - I probably wont go back to this river unless its winter time. Despite the easy access, I cant stand having to skip a good hole because there's someone walking through it or sitting on the bank right next to it. That being said, I did not hike very far up the stream - the heat and humidity that led up to the storms kept me and my gal from going too far. At the very least, its always good to check off a new stream, and the beauty of Shenandoah never disappoints.

Hope a future reader finds this useful! Thanks again for the previous advice, Joe and Andy!

Forrest
IMG_2015.JPG
IMG_2022.JPG
IMG_2023.JPG

Ryan DiAndrea

May 19, 2015, 9:11:46 AM5/19/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
where you in the park on the north or south fork, or were you along sugar hollow road?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Josh Loh

May 19, 2015, 10:11:21 AM5/19/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Forrest,

Looks like a big rosyside dace to me, though I am not an expert. They're all over the place in the Paint Branch in MD.

http://web1.cnre.vt.edu/efish/families/rosysidedace.html

Josh

Forrest Allen

May 19, 2015, 12:34:15 PM5/19/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ryan - North Fork, inside the park boundary.

Josh - Seems like a pretty good match. New species - bonus points!

TurbineBlade

May 19, 2015, 12:58:50 PM5/19/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yep -- low waters last summer turned up dace all over the place on many of the trips Beth and I made into the SNP.  They'll actually launch out of the water to hit dries at times.

Man, all this talk about brook trout makes me want to quick my job and fish it every day for the next 2 months instead.  But then there's a lot of good stuff here locally I might miss.  I hate May!

Gene

namfos

May 20, 2015, 8:51:29 AM5/20/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
And you'd also hate being unemployed without a source of legal tender. ;-)

Mark