Coming from the other Washington...

Craig Coston

Mar 26, 2017, 8:22:05 AM3/26/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I know... first post and asking for info. Shame! :p

I live in WA state near Seattle and will be taking the family on a U.S. history tour of Boston, NYC, Philly, and DC in a couple weeks. As an addict, I of course think of any opportunity available to sneak in some fly fishing.

I'm a bit clueless to that area, but from what I gather I should be able to target shad and maybe bass during my visit. Would it be worth bringing my 7wt spey rod, or is that overkill for the shad? I could bring a 7 or 6wt single handed rod instead. I'll bring a variety of floating and sink tips (love my Rio Versitip!).

Also, would anyone be willing to show me the fishery for a few hours? I would be willing to return the favor if you ever come to my state to fish!

Yambag Nelson

Mar 26, 2017, 9:56:48 AM3/26/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You will be here during the heart of the prime DC season as the shad run should be around peak during that time.  While you could certainly use you spey rod, if you have just a couple hours you should go to fletchers boathouse and rent a boat ($30 for the day).   Use your single handed seven weight with the heaviest sinking line you have (full sinking is ideal).   Anchor up on a seam and fish away.

Adam Soller

Mar 26, 2017, 2:45:11 PM3/26/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
7wt Spey is perfectly fine. Most people throw on anywhere form 10-15ft of tips, depending on the water levels, the tide as well as what location you're fishing will determine the grain. 3' of tippet and some shad darts or shortened clousers work. I'm partial to Alex's shad flies that you can buy from Fletcher's boathouse (epicenter of shad on the DC portion of the Potomac) in chartreuse and fuschia. The guys there can point you in the right direction as to where to fish upriver. Pick up your non-resident license ($10 or so) and you're good to go.

Weekdays are better than weekends. As it gets a bit shoulder to shoulder on Saturday and Sunday.

Craig Coston

Apr 6, 2017, 8:31:23 PM4/6/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks! Finally done with work, now I'm packing my bags. We'll be in Boston, NYC, Philly, and then DC from Thursday next week until Sunday. If anyone is willing to fish with me, let me know.

Terry C

Apr 7, 2017, 9:33:51 AM4/7/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Craig, I fish with both single and 2 handed rods for the shad.  The Potomac does not have a lot of areas where fishing from the bank or close to it advantageous. Steep drop offs, swift currents,  and many sharped angled rocks which don't lend themselves to casting platforms.   I use my 6 wt single handed rod from my kayak, or when I rent a row boat from Fletcher's boat house. In my opinion, row boat is "the way to go".    There are a few places I use my 7wt spey rod but I much prefer the single handed rod for this type of fishing.  Also definitely want to bring sinking tips to use with either rod.